choke issue

2003 Xr 650r choke does nothing on half or Full choke. Bike is uncorked and runs fine and obviously starts cold with no choke so maybe I shouldn't complain. But what isn't working properly that the it won't idle higher when it's cold And I flip the choke on?

I don't think its a jetting issue as it starts even cold. I'm just thinking that when I open the choke lever to half or full it doesn't open the choke plate at all. I guess I have to open up the carb and physically watch operation of choke lever. As I said it starts pretty reliably It would just be nice to maybe flip half choke and keep it running that way rather than have to keep rev higher for about 10- 20 seconds till its warm enough to idle on its own.

If you can ditch the choke do so.....you'll eliminate a potential defective part and create more air flow to the motor....

Just turn the idle screw 1/4-1/2 a turn initially on start up till warm....

There's a thread I started including a how too video below here somewhere...I probably will do it to my 650R if it's an easy starter like yours.

• Like 1

The plate may not be connected to the lever/shaft, or there is no Choke plate.

Yes, sort of sounds like the "smiley" choke plate might have been removed...

Undo the airbox boot from the intake side of the carb and have a peek....

Finally figured out my old username and password lol. Yes you're right I think the choke plate is either removed or not connected properly. My next step is to check the carb so I know for sure. I'll let you know what I find out.

If  Reading this correct the choke does nothing? It will idle down and die if on more than 10 seconds or so. The plate may not be connected to the lever/shaft, or there is no Choke plate.

Yes first when I start it having the choke on half full or off makes no difference. When it starts if I was to flip it to full choke which should bring idle higher it doesn't effect idle Speed at all. That's Why I believe Choke plate isn't working the way it should. When I Uncorked it a few years ago I didn't really pay attention to the choke at all when I had the carb off. Was to busy trying not to screw up the jetting and needle position. Was busy working on the street bike yesterday next task is quality time with the XR.

I'd be curious to know how to start a 650r without the choke. After contemplating removeing the plate before it gets ingested, I have tried starting it (cold) without choke using the "lean the over", "attempted flood", "high idle", only thing that works is bump starting.

I'd be curious to know how to start a 650r without the choke. After contemplating removeing the plate before it gets ingested, I have tried starting it (cold) without choke using the "lean the over", "attempted flood", "high idle", only thing that works is bump starting.

Do the 650r have the problem of sucking up chokes? They have the back-fire flap/window?

Edited by bork

Do the 650r have the problem of sucking up chokes? They have the back-fire flap/window?

That I'm not 100% sure about I haven't physically looked at the choke plate yet. I was just going by other threads on the forum. I assumed the 650r had the flapper like the Xr 600 but I could be wrong. If it doesn't then I have no worries. Anybody chime in that knows for sure with a 650r?

Yes the choke plate does have a backfire flap, mine is removed as ive read dreaded stories of the spring breaking and being sucked in, my 650r starts easy, the 68s pilot helps alot, i just kick a few times with the compression release to give it a prime, then put choke on first notch, when it fires in 2 kick i then close the choke and next kick it starts up easy

There was a post on here a few weeks ago about the R eating a choke plate. The 650r plate looks about the same as my old 600 which some say had problems, mine looked fine. Maybe just removing the flap and not the whole plate would work for cold starting? I have also seen cracking and breaks in the plate casting by the thiner radius corner though.

Opened up the carb and sure enough it does have the flapper. Didn't remove it yet though and the choke operation does appear to work properly. But full choke or off there's no difference in idle speed which seems weird to me.

20160330_142009.jpg