Beta 2 stroke 250 300 pipe choices ?

It's a couple of years now.. so what are the pipe silencer combinations and what do you guys think of them compared to stock? .. I really don't feel like I need to change my stock pipe.. works great and pretty quiet..but maybe the others are better. I only got to ride a 300 rr with an xtrainer pipe that was surprisingly good.. more linear..   I watched this vid and know this has to be a shorty or something other than stock.. It's noisier.. don't know if that's the camera or what.. asked about it in another thread a while ago .. pc shorty? something like that..maybe.. 

Edited by hawaiidirtrider

I'm running the FMF Gnarly with the shorty Q-Stealth. I can't tell any difference between the Gnarly and the stock pipe...the only reason I went with the Gnarly was because I destroyed my stock pipe. The Q-stealth shorty doesn't sound any different than the stock silencer, but is shorter and noticeably lighter than the stock silencer. It, of course, also has a spark arrestor. 

• Like 1

I'm running the FMF Gnarly with the shorty Q-Stealth. I can't tell any difference between the Gnarly and the stock pipe...the only reason I went with the Gnarly was because I destroyed my stock pipe. The Q-stealth shorty doesn't sound any different than the stock silencer, but is shorter and noticeably lighter than the stock silencer. It, of course, also has a spark arrestor. 

Thanks!!!  I've heard a couple of versions of what is stock on a Beta and what is not. One is that stock is the gnarly..the other is a fatty ? idk another more top end pipe from what I remember. I'm thinking the same as you that I should get a pipe when mine smashes..since stock is so great. .and there isn't a need for a spark arrestor here with our humid weather.. and no specification from our riding park. My goal would be for weight decrease or power increase ..not that I need it. Now your shorty stealth is on my radar to check out though. I was thinking of the pc shorty since it's supposedly still decently quiet enough and light.. but idk..see what else this thread brings out. Did you get yours off ebay?

s-l300.jpg

Thanks!!!  I've heard a couple of versions of what is stock on a Beta and what is not. One is that stock is the gnarly..the other is a fatty ? idk another more top end pipe from what I remember. I'm thinking the same as you that I should get a pipe when mine smashes..since stock is so great. .and there isn't a need for a spark arrestor here with our humid weather.. and no specification from our riding park. My goal would be for weight decrease or power increase ..not that I need it. Now your shorty stealth is on my radar to check out though. I was thinking of the pc shorty since it's supposedly still decently quiet enough and light.. but idk..see what else this thread brings out. Did you get yours off ebay?

s-l300.jpg

I heard that the stock pipe was a special design made for Beta and isn't the Gnarly or Fatty. I don't think a spark arrestor is really necessary on a 2 stroke because they have a wet exhaust, but I'm just trying to follow the rules to a certain extent.

• Like 3

Does the Gnarly hang lower than the stock pipe? I like how high the stock is compared to the KTM, but I'd prefer the thicker material they use for the Gnarly. Anyone know of an aftermarket sparky for the stock muffler? I opened mine up and think there's a way to sandwich some stainless mesh in there, but would prefer to buy a bolt on if available.

• Like 1

Are you talking tone AND volume?  I'd like to shave a little weight and get a SA at the same time, but don't want it any louder or to hurt performance. 

Does the Gnarly hang lower than the stock pipe? I like how high the stock is compared to the KTM, but I'd prefer the thicker material they use for the Gnarly. Anyone know of an aftermarket sparky for the stock muffler? I opened mine up and think there's a way to sandwich some stainless mesh in there, but would prefer to buy a bolt on if available.

Every time I hear about a screen style S/A for a 2T I cringe.  Screens are OK in 4T applications.  I had the original Sparky add on back in the day.  The screen will carbon up and your bike will run poorly unless you clean the screen regularly.

The FMF S/A have the non plugging style and I have never once had to mess with the actual S/A piece.  I've only had to repack the muffler like any 2T. 

Talking to a riding buddy last weekend.  He bought an Enduro Engineering S/A end cap for his KTM 300.  It uses a screen.  Bike started to run like crap.  Took it to the shop and within 2 minutes of talking to the service guy he had identified the problem as the plugged screen. ?

Ah, I was wondering why they didn't just use mesh. I took some pics of an FMF 2t SA and have them posted here:

https://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/1129318-wish-list-for-2016-betas/?p=13031617

Yep the "turbine core" looks like a turbine engine fan blades.  Apparently that is enough to qualify as a spark arrestor.  Any sparks must bounce off the blades and snuff themselves out.

Not sure what PC does in their S/A.

• Like 1

The factory better pipe was designed for the Beta motor (from what I've been told by AmBeta ) it is neither a fatty or a gnarly.... I have a gnarly on my standard '13 300 and it doesn't hang any lower than the standard pipe. I have noticed a little more grunt on the bottom. Hope it helps;)

Pic of the '13 RR (with new plastic!)ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1460017698.562491.jpg

• Like 2

The bend almost looks identical between stock and the gnarly. If you don't need a spark arrestor for legal reasons, I wouldn't bother with one. If you do, just get the Q.

Are you talking tone AND volume?  I'd like to shave a little weight and get a SA at the same time, but don't want it any louder or to hurt performance. 

Tone and volume sound the same to my untuned ear. Either way, there isn't anything quieter this side of a trials bike.

• Like 3

• 7 months later...