What did you do to your YZ450FX today?

I'm not sure what kickstand delete you were talking about, but a bracket off the YZ4 50 for like 20 bucks works

The Yamaha kit was back ordered this fall.  Part number B91-F73A0-V0-00.

https://www.shopyamaha.com/product/details/yamaha-kickstand-removal-kit-peg-mount?b=Off-Road+Motorcycle&d=20%7C20

Yamaha part number for the footpeg mount itself is 17D-21447-00-00.

Edited by MidlifeCrisisGuy

I spent last night prepping my YZ450FX. I've had it since September, but haven't had time to work on it. I haven't ridden it yet, except up and down the back alley a few times. I bought my bike used. It has 9 hours on it.

Did the pegs... reversed the mounts, cut the collars off the Airtime pegs and installed them. Installing the springs is very difficult without the collars on the pegs to hold them in place while inserting the pins. But it is doable.

Adjusted the rear brake and shifter. When the pegs are lowered you have to cut a bit off the master cylinder rod so you can adjust the pedal low enough.

Changed the bar mounts (Pro Taper) and installed 30 mm riser blocks. It takes the lowered pegs and the raised bars for me to get comfortable standing on the bike. Improves my riding position when sitting as well.

Installed the Magura clutch setup. I'm missing a piece (nipple) so the slave cylinder isn't connected to the clutch actuator arm yet. Using a 9.5mm master cylinder. I ran the Magura on my WR450F and loved it. Everything transferred over to the FX except it needs a different nipple.

Installed the GYTR skid plate.

Installed the Shoria battery.

Re installed the handguards.

Swapped the stock 13 tooth front sprocket for a 12 tooth. I like having a very low 1st gear on 4 strokes.

Removed the kick start lever. The kick stand got removed when I reversed the peg mounts.

FYI, the YZ450FX has the exact same geometry as the YZ250FX. The shock is valved exactly the same too. I deferred setting up my 450 as I was still fine tuning the setup on my 250.

Now that I have the 250 pretty much dialed in, I am setting up the 450 almost exactly the same. Same peg setup, same bar setup, same skid plate, same shock valving, similar spring rates, same Magura clutch setup, etc. I love my 250FX, but it is lacking power at times. I'm hoping to love my 450FX as much or more than the 250. I cannot wait to finally ride it.

FYI, the Shoria, removing the kickstand, replacing the pegs and removing the kick stand lever shave nearly 7 pounds from the bike. The GYTR skid plate adds about a pound back over the stock skid plate, but it is well worth it for the protection. I run a GYTR skid plate on my 250FX and it has saved the flywheel cover more than once.

The lowered pegs are a fantastic mod for tall riders. I'm 6' 1" in bare feet. Really improves the riding position, both standing and sitting. The Airtime pegs are fantastic. Inexpensive, tough, super grippy and they weigh about 1/2 pound less than the stock FX pegs, which are the same as what is used on the WR.

I love the Magura clutch on my 250FX. Super smooth, excellent feel and it never needs adjustment. On a tough hill climb my friend said my bike sounded like it had a Rekluse in it.

I don't see how you're going to use first gear with a 12 cs. It's really low already.

I know how crazy you must think the 12 is, but I have seen probably a half dozen posts over the last year where riders like a 52 on the rear. I put a 51 on mine and could go to a 52 without an issue.

Why in the hell would you gear this DOWN from stock? I put a 49 on rear, and next sprocket I'm going to try a 48.

First gear was already unusable except for starting from a dead stop on a very steep hill. It's not a whole lot better now with the 49 on it, but at least I can use it from time to time now. I can feel just the tiniest gap in between 2nd and 3rd now, but it's not an issue. Hoping the 48 won't make that gap huge.

• 2 weeks later...

Why in the hell would you gear this DOWN from stock? I put a 49 on rear, and next sprocket I'm going to try a 48.

First gear was already unusable except for starting from a dead stop on a very steep hill. It's not a whole lot better now with the 49 on it, but at least I can use it from time to time now. I can feel just the tiniest gap in between 2nd and 3rd now, but it's not an issue. Hoping the 48 won't make that gap huge.

My thoughts exactly lol. 1st in this FX is completely unusable. In fact, 2nd seems too low for my liking.

I'm going to try the 49 or 48 to get more use out of 2nd gear.

Finally got my '17 put together for the upcoming race season! Awesome bike but I am still working on getting the suspension dialed in... I'm 180 with gear and it should be spot on but it still feels a bit harsh. Anyone else around this weight have any clicker suggestions? And I have set the sag accordingly.

20170109_152643.jpg

20161205_151302.jpg

Is that 2 clicks out from the middle setting?

Is anyone that weighs around 255lbs able to get 100mm of race sag with a decent static sag number? I have a 6.8 shock spring and 5.4 fork springs. To get 100mm of race sag I'm at around 14mm of static sag which I feel is not enough. But I don't think there's a higher rate spring. I'm running around 110mm with 25mm or so of static sag. Bike pushes a bit which is why I'd like to be closer to 100mm.

Linkage was greased when I got the bike home and there's no binding...

sounds like your spring is too stiff not too soft ! If I understand what your saying

Finally got my '17 put together for the upcoming race season! Awesome bike but I am still working on getting the suspension dialed in... I'm 180 with gear and it should be spot on but it still feels a bit harsh. Anyone else around this weight have any clicker suggestions? And I have set the sag accordingly.

doesnit feel harsh on the front of the rear? If it's the front! I'd try lowering the oil level a lil bit

That's true, I do also, to a point! You have to remember that rebound also affects compression to a sertain point!

I had about 50 hrs on mine, it was getting pretty soft, just had the shock serviced, replaced the piston seal ring it was showing some wear,

Feels like a new shock again !

Now gota find time to do the forks. Lol

For off-road use, you might try the approach of backing out the rebound to around 15 out and backing out compression all the way to the stop.  Go back in on compression as needed to control excessive bottoming or diving at the front and trim the rebound as needed.  Try to end up with the high speed comp damping set nearly all the way out (around 1 3/4 - 2 turns)

• Like 2

Thank you! That is almost exactly what I did today. 15 on the rebound on the rear 12 on forks comp and reb and 1 3/4 on the high speed. It is a ton better! Still some fine tuning but it's much closer. I just love this bike! The rekluse feels like cheating as this is the first I have ever had. I was an A quad rider and this is my first new race bike. I have had a few before but none like this!Looking forward to our Texas races getting started!

That's true, I do also, to a point! You have to remember that rebound also affects compression to a sertain point!

I had about 50 hrs on mine, it was getting pretty soft, just had the shock serviced, replaced the piston seal ring it was showing some wear,

Feels like a new shock again !

Now gota find time to do the forks. Lol

Really supposed to service suspension every 20-30 hours for optimum functionality. Oil goes bad quick.

For off-road use, you might try the approach of backing out the rebound to around 15 out and backing out compression all the way to the stop. Go back in on compression as needed to control excessive bottoming or diving at the front and trim the rebound as needed. Try to end up with the high speed comp damping set nearly all the way out (around 1 3/4 - 2 turns)

That's exactly how I find my settings.