Instrument Cluster - hour meter does not retain data ?

For some odd reason I was under the impression the stock instrument cluster had an hour meter but to my surprise, when I pop'ed in a new CR2032 battery last night, the elapsed hours was back to 0.

Looks like I'll need one of those standalone hour meters. 

What bike? Mine has a hour meter. Changed battery on my wife's one a while back and retained total hours data and total distance data...

What bike? Mine has a hour meter. Changed battery on my wife's one a while back and retained total hours data and total distance data...

Did you change the battery right away?

'13 Xtrainer. Battery probably died in October. Bike battery was flat so I brought back to life and ran the bike once before putting it away for the season.

Either unit is defective, running engine with dead instrument cluster battery somehow reset meter or prolonged dead instrument cluster battery reset meter. 

Ah... Ok. Yeah I changed it straight away. Think it's normal if you let it die, and then let it sit, reckon it's probably normal for it to lose its data eventually. Especially if the bike battery was dead too for a period of time with the instrument cluster battery also low/empty.

This is weird, it's like I just read this thread the other day during the week and was thinking oh my battery should be fine I only have like 10hrs on the bike. Go on a ride today, half way through the instrument cluster stops working and it's just flashing "LO" with no other information. I'm assuming it's just the CR2032 battery, but I really hope I didn't lose my ART/hour information. The actual 12V battery has never been run dead so there's no problems there. I wanna replace it straight away. Can anyone point me in a direction of how to on replacing it? Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Check out the maintenance, adjustment thread. Think the 2nd last page. I posted a bit on changing the battery. Easy enough.

This is weird, it's like I just read this thread the other day during the week and was thinking oh my battery should be fine I only have like 10hrs on the bike. Go on a ride today, half way through the instrument cluster stops working and it's just flashing "LO" with no other information. I'm assuming it's just the CR2032 battery, but I really hope I didn't lose my ART/hour information. The actual 12V battery has never been run dead so there's no problems there. I wanna replace it straight away. Can anyone point me in a direction of how to on replacing it? Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

If the speedo stops working while you're riding then it's not getting power from the main bike battery, it shouldn't be running off the CR2032 while the bike is running.  Check all your connections, pull them apart and put some dialectric grease in them.  This seems to be somewhat of a common thing with these, happened on my bike too but this fixed it for me.  

I put a Pro Taper wireless hour meter on my XT. Makes it easy to check hours at any time without bike running.

If the speedo stops working while you're riding then it's not getting power from the main bike battery, it shouldn't be running off the CR2032 while the bike is running. Check all your connections, pull them apart and put some dialectric grease in them. This seems to be somewhat of a common thing with these, happened on my bike too but this fixed it for me.

Thanks Danceswithtrees much appreciated, not exactly the news I wanted to hear but such is life I guess. Time to tear into the wiring. Did you lose all of your info when it happened to your bike or was it still saved?

My battery died and i lost ~12 hours on my dashboard.  I added a wireless hour meter on the frame however as I saw a thread where Krannie mentioned that he's had the dash battery dies and lose hours.  

It's definitely a bit stupid, but i haven't gone over all of my wiring harness yet to see if there is an issue.

Thanks Danceswithtrees much appreciated, not exactly the news I wanted to hear but such is life I guess. Time to tear into the wiring. Did you lose all of your info when it happened to your bike or was it still saved?

I didn't lose any data but it did not record hours/miles for a few weeks.  The connections I checked are just the ones behind the headlight coming from the speedo.  All I did was pull them apart and put some dialectric grease in them and that was the end of my problems.  I also put a little dialectric grease on the CR2032 when I put a new one in. 

I didn't lose any data but it did not record hours/miles for a few weeks. The connections I checked are just the ones behind the headlight coming from the speedo. All I did was pull them apart and put some dialectric grease in them and that was the end of my problems. I also put a little dialectric grease on the CR2032 when I put a new one in.

Okay gotcha, thank you. That's what I was thinking I had to do. I just haven't figured out an easy way to remove those factory connectors. They're really a PIA to disconnect. Does replacing the CR2032 require removing the entire instrument cluster or is there an accessible compartment you can remove to replace it while it's still on the bike?

Okay gotcha, thank you. That's what I was thinking I had to do. I just haven't figured out an easy way to remove those factory connectors. They're really a PIA to disconnect. Does replacing the CR2032 require removing the entire instrument cluster or is there an accessible compartment you can remove to replace it while it's still on the bike?

You can replace the 2032 without removing the speedo, there's a round plug on the bottom for it.

Excellent, thanks very much.

Check out the maintenance, adjustment thread. Think the 2nd last page. I posted a bit on changing the battery. Easy enough.

Sorry I missed your response somehow. Found your post in the maintenance and adjustment thread, thanks for the heads up. Much appreciated.

Ah funny, a search for the type of batteries that goes in the 15-16 cluster brought me to my own thread.

Actually somehow after a while it display the correct value for the hourmeter.