Showa shock seal head rebuildable?

I rebuilt all my suspension last year with pivot works to find out that pivot works makes shitty stuff. So all the pw stuff is coming out. The pw seal head would probably be ok but can I rebuild the oem one?....and

Are there any good self locking shaft nuts? What shock oil is best?

Shock is outa my old trusty 2006 crf250

Yep you can buy new seals for the head.

I used Maxima 5wt fork oil when I did my Showa last month.

Not sure what a self locking shaft nut is but if your talking about the shock shaft nut I would lock the nut with a punch as described in the manual, its more reliable than any type of lock nut.

Cheers,

Jon

Why would u use 5wt fork oil in ur shock??

In other words do not use a low viscosity fork oil in a hot running shock....

Just call MX- tech they have the seal , dust cap and bushing.

But if the bushing is worn through I suggest you buy a new seal head, I do believe they have the SKF seal head in stock.

Edited by E-TECH
  • Like 1

Why would u use 5wt fork oil in ur shock??

Because that's what the manual calls for.

In other words do not use a low viscosity fork oil in a hot running shock....

5wt fork oil is what is specified. What do you two guys put in your shocks?

Shocks are not much different than forks as far as the mechanics of the oil.

MX-Teck will sell you the individual seals for the seal head, there is no bushing on it though.

Cheers,

Jon

Christ your touchy karlace! I am certainly no expert but it doesn't take an expert to follow the factory service manual, lucky for me...

Most 5wt fork oil won't withstand the heat from a shock

Got anything to back that up? Smells like complete BS to me, the wt of the oil has nothing to do with withstanding heat...

Cheers,

Jon

I'm no chemical engineer, but shock oils generally have a higher viscosity index due to the increased heat you don't see in forks. There's a few threads on it around here.

Well that may make sense but it would be the opposite of what the self proclaimed expert Karl is saying, 2.5-3wt oil has less viscosity than 5wt?

Lol I supose little knollage is dangerous

Yeh, especially when you cant spell knowledge...

I stand by my statement, that the statement:

Most 5wt fork oil won't withstand the heat from a shock

Is complete and utter bullshit.

I would wager that the difference between a 5wt shock oil and a 5wt fork oil is precisely zero, other than the letters on the jug.

That is not from an experts point of view (I am a complete novice) rather it is from a common sense point of view.

I am wide open to be convinced otherwise though I think Honda recommending 5wt fork oil for their Showa shocks in their competition bikes pretty much backs up my position.

Cheers,

Jon

The general concensus is that viscosity ratings tell you how thick an oil is and resistant the oil is to heat, cavitation/ foaming. When visually and physically inspecting 5wt maxima for fluid vs. Maxima 3wt shock oil despite the viscosity numbers the shock oil is much thicker and resists foaming better when bleed air out of a shock