Why waste money?

Pretty simple really. I think of it of as both tailoring and otherwise optimizing a given bike to fit 'their' needs, riding style, their particular environment, etc. My YZ250 is a perfect example, being tailored for the SE appalachain mtns wooods/offroad racing and away from what its fundamentally designed to do(winning mx races). Pretty much anyone riding techy offroad would appreciate the heavier flywheel weight..or larger fuel tank...or that most awesome kickstand..revalved forks..skid plate..etc. Its not rocket science.

yea, but spending money to make a bike you already don't ride to its potential faster is still kind of pointless...i see where the OP is going on that part. It isn't impossible that a little more power, say low end, could be beneficial. It is also possible the rider could just be riding better and using the available power more efficiently and not need the extra power to do the same things. Suspension is the one thing anyone can benefit from...so I would never argue that is a waste....even if its just spring to make your sag correct. Or, certain upgrades like a flywheel weight, skid plate, barkbusters, etc to help make it more woods friendly. I really dont think those type of upgrades is what he means.

Edited by J_YZ2fittyF

Next time someone buys a new bike please send me a list of modes(with prices) and I'll let you know if you can get them..I'll help you spend your hard earned money...lol I don't care if people paint there bike pink with spray paint. But I spent to much money on graphics and they don't help me one bit but I look good falling down all over western Pennsylvania.

• Like 1

Decostor openly comented that the dungey is running stock hp with just the power curve changed. For mx/sx they range from 55-65 hp. Their may be a few riders running more hp but the general consensus is that anything over 65 is detrimental to controlability. What the factory teams focus on is using the power curve to produce a more rideable/manageable power delivery. You can get 70+ hp out of a 450 and they do for flat track bikes. For mx it's not common.

I would like to see the dyno sheet for your bike and to know who it bolonged to.

Yep

0421121626_0001.jpg

https://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/891844-whats-the-best-deal-youve-ever-gotten-on-a-dirt-bike/page-11

Post #206 No dyno sheet but Im sure I can get it from naveen.

Thats the practice bike I got from him.. Have the race bike too. Nick is my friend.

Also I wasnt even reffering to these naveen engines... Which I do know are in the 60's for sure

Also running stock hp with a power curve isnt tuned less than stock...

What brand of bike did he switch to?

I get tired of the, "why have a bike you cant ride to it's full potential" crap. If we could only have a bike we could ride to it's full potential we would all be on 1974 xl125s. Im not that great of a rider but I assure you I twist my yz450 wot multiple times each lap.

• Like 1

lmao, no from the thumb , just a joe dirt fan

You're gonna stand there, ownin' a fireworks stand, and tell me you don't have no whistlin' bungholes, no spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser?

• Like 5

you sir are funny. The point was that there are upgrades and then there is wasting money. Outside of the suspension and fitment items like bars, levers etc. It's pointless. The motor in any current race bike is capable of so much more than 99% of us can use. Spending money and buying parts is fine. I do it all the time. If someone want to make a bike faster that's fine. But spending the $$$ to make it faster because you have convinced yourself that you need it to be faster is a waste. Unless your in the national ranks, the raw power of your 450 is far beyond what you can actually use.

I ride a KTM 500.   The power was plenty when I first bought it.  But now I'm finding I need more.  I live in So Cal. we have plenty of sand down here, you can never have enough power when in the sand.  If you're buying a 450 and mainly riding tracks, then theres really no reason to upgrade the power.  If you're riding desert with it,  then I can't blame you for wanting more power. 

• Like 2

I like making my bike perform better than what I can handle so that when my friends who are much better than me ride it, they come back to camp saying, "Holy shit dude".

I once had a guy look over my bike and condescendingly say, "Damn, you put a lot of money into that thing, huh?" while I was standing in front of my tent and he was a few feet away from his $75,000 motorhome and just got done talking about a cruise he just took. Some people man.

heres a pic of one of them.. You can see one the brand new 16s in the back. We had just got it out of the crate.

This engine in this zuke is pushing in the low 70s. Not allowed to say anything pass that...

Hes lining up to the gate as we speak. If you have cable you can watch

1460837068233.jpg

Edited by socali-250

I have been riding/racing since age 5. That was 26 years ago. One thing has always bothered me. Why do people buy a brand new bike that they will never be able to ride to its full potential and then spend thousands more on performance upgrades? Other than suspension, bars, levers, brakes and maintenance it's all kinda silly. Even some of the top pros will tune bikes to create less power, so why do mere mortals think they need more? Is it purely a matter of bragging rights? I have owned a couple of race bikes fully worked over by big name companies "pro circuit for example" and I gotta say, they didn't make me any faster.

great question.

more power on a dirt bike means more traction control required. I ride two nice ktms today that were very good machines but were harder to control on lOose hill climbs. my old kdx was easier as it wasn't so peeky and apt to spin.

but I think what you will find is that in every sport there are guys that really really REALLY like to shop and add things. ... and there are guys that just like the sport. they usually don't participate at the same events.

You're gonna stand there, ownin' a fireworks stand, and tell me you don't have no whistlin' bungholes, no spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser?

I only like snakes and sparklers

I agree with the OP but then again people should be free to do stupid things if they want to.

My dirt bike fantasy is to buy an old 2 stroke MX bike with two rear shocks and smoke these local turkeys with their new 4 smokers. Motocross is mostly rider, not bike.