Going from 15T to 16T CS sprocket 2016 DR-Z400SM

I couldn't get the Driven 16 to work, the inside link plates on my chain were hitting the vertical cast portion where the clutch shaft runs.  Chain would have eaten up the case at that part of the casting.  I have a middle of the road o-ring chain, maybe a top of the line chain is a little bit smaller in link plate size and would have worked?  Ended up going to a 15/40 for highway commuting.

Edited by subeng

150ron - you dropped 3 teeth in the rear and you didn't need to drop any links in the chain?...

Stuwy123 - are you running this 16T setup? Sounds like it... Any problems? I am a bigger guy @ 225lbs with stock Springs right now so I don't want to have to over tension the chain. I should look into adjusting the sag I suppose in the mean time as it is all set as it was from the dealer (which I don't trust anyways, but that's a different story)

No issues with the 16T.  

I'm roughly the same weight and haven't touched the suspension from stock.  

The chain is at it's tightest when the wheel axle, the suspension pivot and the countershaft are all inline.  

This is when the suspension is mostly compressed.  

Just set your chain tension as prescribed in the owner's manual. 40-50mm off the bottom of the middle of the swingarm.

I couldn't get the Driven 16 to work, the inside link plates on my chain were hitting the vertical cast portion where the clutch shaft runs.  Chain would have eaten up the case at that part of the casting.  I have a middle of the road o-ring chain, maybe a top of the line chain is a little bit smaller in link plate size and would have worked?  Ended up going to a 15/40 for highway commuting.

You may have the sprocket on backwards. If you look at it, the shoulder on one side is more pronounced, that goes toward the engine.

I checked on www.gearingcommander.com, because I was looking to do the same thing. If you get the 38 rear from the Thumper shop, you end up with lower RPM than the 16/41, 63 RPMs to be exact. (Going off of a 160/60/17 rear, 05 model). The 39 rear would be 82 RPMs more than the 16/41. This is at 100kmh/60mph. 

I'm getting a 38 for highway use, the 41 is nice for around town.

Have you mounted the front? If so, whats it like?

I will be putting it on this weekend. You're right the 38 would lower the highway rpms even further.. I wanted to go with the cheaper approach/didn't want to shorten the chain and I figured that I'd be doing the CS loctite fix anyways. If I find that I want even lower RPM I could go drop some teeth from the rear eventually. Maybe down the road if I eventually go with a BB kit, 39 FCR and an exhaust system

I just decided to take the case guard off to look at my sprocket to see what I'll need to modify.. While I was having a look I decided to check my chain tension. Now I have heard that there's the 3 finger rule at the upper swing arm chain guide mounting bolt. Is it that 3 fingers should fit below the chain? 3 fingers of chain movement? Is this while the bike is on its side stand and without the chain tensioned on the bottom? I've got my bike on its side stand and I'm pulling up on the chain at the rear sprocket - does this look too slack?

1462390711282.jpg

The slack should be between 1.6 inches. This is to compensate for the long suspension travel these bikes have  :thumbsup:

I just decided to take the case guard off to look at my sprocket to see what I'll need to modify.. While I was having a look I decided to check my chain tension. Now I have heard that there's the 3 finger rule at the upper swing arm chain guide mounting bolt. Is it that 3 fingers should fit below the chain? 3 fingers of chain movement? Is this while the bike is on its side stand and without the chain tensioned on the bottom? I've got my bike on its side stand and I'm pulling up on the chain at the rear sprocket - does this look too slack?

i'd check it closer to the middle of the swingarm .. this is how i do it at this point in my life, peoples hand size varies somewhat but as far as im concerned this chain is perfect tension - alittle loose with 3 fingers, tight with 4 ...

CIMG9271_zps8aavhiqk.jpg

CIMG9272_zps72ccbynf.jpg

Well made the mistake on my part to not confirm part number and ended up with the wrong 16T sprocket. Either way, Any one see this on their CS sprocket before? Looks like this on all the splines. Perhaps a manufacturing defect? What do you guys think? I was going to put it back on the bike with loctite but now seeing this I might hold off and get a new 15T, going to 38 or 39 in the rear..

1462651251038.jpg

With a rear 38 what is cruise speed? I have a 400s running a 14-44, cruise is about 60mph