Rekluse clutch problems, or am I not utilizing the clutch correctly?

Hi guys, I bought an 04 KTM 300 exc yesterday and took it down to a woods race today. Probably not my best idea, but I really wanted to finally use a bike designed for woods in one of these races.

Took the bike for a test drive and just figured it would take some getting used to, but now I'm not so sure.

Things I have noticed:

1. I cannot hold in the clutch lever and freely move the bike. IT HAS TO BE IN NEUTRAL.

2. Even though I am using the rear brake and locking up the rear wheel the bike STILL wants to go forward. I have to use both brakes if I want any chance of stopping

3. I am still stalling the bike, once again when I'm going down a gnarly hill it's almost like I have no brakes and the clutch doesn't act as a clutch

4. I cannot kick start the bike unless it is in neutral

Does this sound normal guys? What am I doing wrong or do I need to adjust something?

• Like 1

Hi guys, I bought an 04 KTM 300 exc yesterday and took it down to a woods race today. Probably not my best idea, but I really wanted to finally use a bike designed for woods in one of these races.

Took the bike for a test drive and just figured it would take some getting used to, but now I'm not so sure.

Things I have noticed:

1. I cannot hold in the clutch lever and freely move the bike. IT HAS TO BE IN NEUTRAL.

Somewhat normal when it's cold. The oil makes the clutch drag. It should get better when hot, but it won't roll like it's in neutral.

2. Even though I am using the rear brake and locking up the rear wheel the bike STILL wants to go forward. I have to use both brakes if I want any chance of stopping

Rear brake doesn't do much. Front does half or more of your stopping. It's weight transfer. When you stop you transfer weight off the rear tire so it doesn't have much traction.

3. I am still stalling the bike, once again when I'm going down a gnarly hill it's almost like I have no brakes and the clutch doesn't act as a clutch

Clutch is dragging. Might have a notched clutch basket. Or the fluid level is low in the master cylinder.

4. I cannot kick start the bike unless it is in neutral

Clutch is dragging a little. It's all the same issue.

Does this sound normal guys? What am I doing wrong or do I need to adjust something?

Thanks for the reply!

Any clue of how to fix this, or have any tutorials maybe? It's the z pro rekluse if that helps any.

I read in the manual It talks about checking the clutch pack for wear with the feeler gauges and the amount of clearance in between them.

It says" if the clutch pack needs adjustment the wire gauge will slide in smoothly and to swap the rekluse adjustment drive plate for the top drive plate."

Does that sound right?

Thanks for the reply!

Any clue of how to fix this, or have any tutorials maybe? It's the z pro rekluse if that helps any.

I read in the manual It talks about checking the clutch pack for wear with the feeler gauges and the amount of clearance in between them.

It says" if the clutch pack needs adjustment the wire gauge will slide in smoothly and to swap the rekluse adjustment drive plate for the top drive plate."

Does that sound right?

There is a range of adjustment. Too loose or to tight are both bad. Yours is way tight it sounds like. The original kit comes with a couple of different thickness steel plates so you can dial it in.

Go to the rekluse website and get the manual. Read it several times and then proceed to check the gap and figure out what you need. You may have to pull it apart and check the plates. Only one of the steels will be potentially a different thickness.

The manual covers all of this.