2010 250sx (couple of questions)

I have an opportunity to buy a 2010 250sx.  The owner says nothing is wrong except that it is stuck in second gear.  Brief search brings up a few threads about a simple spring fix.  Others mention a 5mm bolt.  I love project bikes, but I need a rider at the moment.  If this happens to be an easy fix I am worried if I will "like" the bike or be looking to unload it.  I'm looking to get on a 2t and set it up for woods.

Questions:

1.  Is this an easy repair?

2.  How much is the repair going to set me back?

3.  Is this the wrong bike to consider for woods riding?

Thanks  

I have an opportunity to buy a 2010 250sx.  The owner says nothing is wrong except that it is stuck in second gear.  Brief search brings up a few threads about a simple spring fix.  Others mention a 5mm bolt.  I love project bikes, but I need a rider at the moment.  If this happens to be an easy fix I am worried if I will "like" the bike or be looking to unload it.  I'm looking to get on a 2t and set it up for woods.

Questions:

1.  Is this an easy repair?

2.  How much is the repair going to set me back?

3.  Is this the wrong bike to consider for woods riding?

Thanks  

If it were a new bike, it would be a great choice for a woods bike, even if it's stuck in gear. Mind you, 6 years can be a lot of wear and tear. 

Filing the shift arm, and stretching the detent spring are not hard. Easy to do through the clutch case w a little bit of mechanical knowledge and a clutch tool. This problem is typical for won't shift into gear. At a guess, stuck in gear might be worse: forks or gears.

If you were to replace some of these parts with some used ones and split the cases yourself, it would probably only cost a couple of hundred in used trans parts.

However, the biggest thing is the overall state of the bike. For example, my used 2011 needed fork service, shock revalve, wheel bearings, crank, cylinder, piston, crank seals, heim joint, updated clutch cover gasket and its still not all that pretty. That's close to $2,000 in spare parts and a lot of nights in the garage.

Edited by Swappa