Yz125 steering stem

I put a new set of bearings/races in the steering stem of my 2011 yz125. Once it was all together it had smooth movement but I noticed the top seal right under the ring nut didn't look like it was completely seated. Just wondering how the seal is supposed to be and what I could do to get it seated?

It should be flush with the frame with no gap.  If you have a gap there, my guess is the top race didn't seat completely.  Can you snap a photo of it to post here?

It should be flush with the frame with no gap. If you have a gap there, my guess is the top race didn't seat completely. Can you snap a photo of it to post here?

Yep here it is.ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1461096655.338400.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1461096668.173540.jpg

I caught this because the seal was the same way before I had changed them (2nd owner of the bike) which cause the bearing to rust.

That doesn't look too bad actually (especially the first pic, though I can see the gap in the second pic). I attached a photo of mine for reference. You are probably ok so long as you packed the bearing with enough grease and you don't point a pressure washer directly at it.  What did you use to drive the race in with?  Could just be that the frame itself is just very slightly off.  I have an 05 YZ125 as well (2016 YZ250 in my photo) and that 05 bike has a very very slight gap compared to my 2016 (but just around the lip of the cover, not all the way in to the stem).

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1461119205.474728.jpg

Edited by Tankslap

That doesn't look too bad actually (especially the first pic, though I can see the gap in the second pic). I attached a photo of mine for reference. You are probably ok so long as you packed the bearing with enough grease and you don't point a pressure washer directly at it. What did you use to drive the race in with? Could just be that the frame itself is just very slightly off. I have an 05 YZ125 as well (2016 YZ250 in my photo) and that 05 bike has a very very slight gap compared to my 2016 (but just around the lip of the cover, not all the way in to the stem).

I drove the races in with a punch. Yeah after noticing this seal I observed other new model yz's and saw how the seal was flush and mine wasn't. It could be a number of things but I'll be careful with trying not to force water onto it. Thanks for the help

Replace the stock top steering seal with one from the 2010+ YZFs, p/n 17D-23416-50-00. This is a much-improved seal, and will help your bearings last much longer. The stock YZ piece is too thin and is easily bent.  The F seal is thicker and actually works.

Or you can use the seal on the Kawi bearing. It is quite a bit thicker and there's no noticeable gap for water to sit in between the frame and the bearing. The part # for the Kawasaki bearing is 92116-1076. 

The new All-Balls seal is supposed to have the seal molded into the bearing and it works well.

A bearing shop may also have this bearing+seal, part number 4T-CR-.

http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/1138225-steering-gets-stiff-after-washing-bike-05-yz-125/?hl=%2Bbearing+%2Bseal#entry12421604

http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/1174929-2006-yz-250-next-upgrades/?hl=%2Btop+%2Bseal#entry12953184

http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/970122-steering-stem-bearing-replacement/?hl=%2Btop+%2Bseal#entry10142697

http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/781744-yz-steering-bearings-whats-wrong/?hl=%2Bsteering+%2Bseal#entry8353142

http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/854715-steering-head-bearings-best-fix/?hl=%2Bsteering+%2Bseal#entry8871232

...I caught this because the seal was the same way before I had changed them (2nd owner of the bike) which cause the bearing to rust...

Crazy, isn't it? The stock seal does not really "seal" the bearings from the environment on the aluminum-framed 2-stroke YZs. It just sits there with an air gap under it.   :facepalm:

That's why there are soo many threads about steering bearing replacement. 

The 4-stroke seal on our '08 YZ has a nice snug fit with no gapping.  :thumbsup:

(I can't seem to get a photo of it to load. Sorry)

Crazy, isn't it? The stock seal does not really "seal" the bearings from the environment on the aluminum-framed 2-stroke YZs. It just sits there with an air gap under it. :facepalm:

That's why there are soo many threads about steering bearing replacement.

The 4-stroke seal on our '08 YZ has a nice snug fit with no gapping. :thumbsup:

(I can't seem to get a photo of it to load. Sorry)

Yeah after noticing it on mine I had examined the top seals on other newer model 2 stroke yz's (2015/2016) and I guess they fixed the problem because they are snug and flush with the frame. So you're saying I can just order that oem seal from any 2010+ model yzf and it will fit like it is supposed to?

So you're saying I can just order that oem seal from any 2010+ model yzf and it will fit like it is supposed to?

Yes, that's what worked on our 2006 & 2008 YZ250s. Plus it worked for others, as mentioned in the links posted.

I haven't checked the part numbers, but the later model YZ 2-strokes (like you noticed) are supposed to have a better design. That may be another option for you.

Yes, that's what worked on our 2006 & 2008 YZ250s. Plus it worked for others, as mentioned in the links posted.

I haven't checked the part numbers, but the later model YZ 2-strokes (like you noticed) are supposed to have a better design. That may be another option for you.

Ok. Thanks a lot for the help