What are your top trails in Michigan you suggest for kids?

I have a 10 year old that 2 days ago was the first time back on the saddle in 4 years. We rode 1/2 the Denton loop. 

The first stretch was pretty challenging after not riding for so long due to the sand.

What trails do you recommend that are not going to be big sandy whoops (Gladwin), or technical too technical (Evart)?

I'm not apposed to parks either.

Lower is where we'll mostly ride but suggestions for the upper peninsula are great too.

Edited by JKoz

can you tell me what or how bad,,, as far as cops???

The Sheriff in Baldwin issues tickets like candy.  If you ride that, make sure your I's are dotted and T's crossed.  He wrote up a kid that came back the parking lot with his goggles pulled down because it started raining heavy and he couldn't see.  So, he headed back to the parking lot.  Once there, the Sheriff wrote him up for not wearing proper eye wear.  I rode it last year and 2 of the 5 people I went with got tickets as well for other stuff.  The local Baldwin businesses have even had meetings complaining about his attitude and what it's doing to income generated from people coming up there to ride. THey sit up on the dirt road a little ways from the trail head and almost ALWAYS waiting to jump on riders.

Down here, I'd take him to Cedar Creek.  Mid Michigan, I'd take him to Geels. In the UP, Newberry has a great trail for a kid, Silver Creek.  I took my daughter up there last year and as we were gearing up, we heard a pack of wolves howling in the distance.  She was a little freaked out, but I assured her that no dirt biker has ever been attacked by wolves in Michigan......at least that I've heard about. lol  We went about 8 miles and hit some deep sand that she was just not interested in getting through, so we turned around and headed back the lot.  My daughter was not a very aggressive rider, in fact once she moved up to a CRF80 where she had to shift, she decided she didn't want to ride dirt bikes anymore.  We got a couple of kayaks instead so we could do that together.  I still have my bike, I just don't get to ride it as much anymore.

Edited by EXxrldtgnow300dtg

I'd start at horseshoe lake because no atv's and short loops then hit holton which is only a couple miles away..would be good camping, fishing,and riding weekend..camp at pines point..then cedar creek is only about 15 miles from there but pretty wooped out. but still a lot of trails in that area and good trout fishing in white river.

The Sheriff in Baldwin issues tickets like candy.  If you ride that, make sure your I's are dotted and T's crossed.  He wrote up a kid that came back the parking lot with his goggles pulled down because it started raining heavy and he couldn't see.  So, he headed back to the parking lot.  Once there, the Sheriff wrote him up for not wearing proper eye wear.  I rode it last year and 2 of the 5 people I went with got tickets as well for other stuff.  The local Baldwin businesses have even had meetings complaining about his attitude and what it's doing to income generated from people coming up there to ride. THey sit up on the dirt road a little ways from the trail head and almost ALWAYS waiting to jump on riders.

Down here, I'd take him to Cedar Creek.  Mid Michigan, I'd take him to Geels. In the UP, Newberry has a great trail for a kid, Silver Creek.  I took my daughter up there last year and as we were gearing up, we heard a pack of wolves howling in the distance.  She was a little freaked out, but I assured her that no dirt biker has ever been attacked by wolves in Michigan......at least that I've heard about. lol  We went about 8 miles and hit some deep sand that she was just not interested in getting through, so we turned around and headed back the lot.  My daughter was not a very aggressive rider, in fact once she moved up to a CRF80 where she had to shift, she decided she didn't want to ride dirt bikes anymore.  We got a couple of kayaks instead so we could do that together.  I still have my bike, I just don't get to ride it as much anymore.

The sheriff is just a guy, the deputies are their own people. 90% of them are just fine as is the DNR.   Times I've skipped out on my sticker or one thing or another...I get a citation. Started making sure all my shits in order and magically my issues go away. 

Tip: have a very obvious helmet cam. Don't verbally mention it, they will see it. For some reason with that sucker on my luck has improved drastically. 

I take my son(13) and daughter(12) to Lincoln Hills it's not too sandy other than when you have to cross or go down the atv trails for short distances. We've never been hassled by the law, but I'll make double sure we have all are ducks in a row from now on. We are all fully geared and kids have their permits, but I guess there's always something they can get you for.

We tried to ride the Big or Little "O", can't remember which one it was west of M37 and it was a major struggle and let down for the kids so I'd skip that.

I recommend sticking to the tighter trails.  The wider routes tend to be all sand which can be very difficult for very little kids on 50s.  The tighter trails really aren't that tight for the little ones, their bar width is narrow.

Thanks for all the info. I live between Midland and Gladwin.

I don't normally the atv trails. Single track is preferred. Its been too many years but I remember riding Geels with a friend in a terrible down pouring rain so I couldn't tell you want the trail was even like. 

I've also rode Tin cup with a group of guys from here but I really don't remember what that was like.

Are there any family / kid events that go on you'd suggest that my daughter could find other girls especially that are into riding. 

Edited by JKoz

There's a campground West of Baldwin, in Custer called Whiskey Creek.  They've got some nice short trails that are fantastic for kids to learn on with little danger from racing riders coming around a corner.  They also have an indoor pool, a pond that they can swim in too and a small camp store that serves ice cream.  I took my daughter there to learn to ride and she liked it.  Last I heard, they were going to buy up some adjoining land to expand their little trail system.