Removing blind bearings

Doing my first bottom end, on my 08 YZ250.  I have new tranny bearings coming in to go ahead and replace them while I'm doing the crank.  Anybody got tips for getting the couple of blind bearings out, without buying a $100 worth of bearing puller??  I've already spent way more on this buying tools, parts, etc than i had planned on.

I did buy a $60 blind bearing puller from Harbor Freight, and of course the included collets only fit one of the bearings I need out.  I tried to get that one out and it won't budge.  Even heated up the case some and it didn't help at all.  I tried last night and again this morning and that bearing won't budge.

Looking for any advice.  I'm going to see if HF will take this one puller back since it didn't work for me, and it doesn't have collets the size I need.  

Search on Youtube "Blind hole bearing puller...home made".  Short video with a very cheap and simple solution.  You just need to find the right size bolt he shows at the hardware store.

Search on Youtube "Blind hole bearing puller...home made".  Short video with a very cheap and simple solution.  You just need to find the right size bolt he shows at the hardware store.

Just watched the video.  I'll have to see if I can find that type bolt that is the right size.  For a small bearing like he got out I'm sure the bolts are available.  For these bigger ones...I don't know yet.  I'll do some measuring and see what I can find at the hardware store.

Those bolts usually are available up to at least 1" hole size. hopefully you can find what you need for cheap.  How big are the holes?  over an inch?  You might be able to use a 3 jaw puller and reverse the arms so that you could use it in a similar way.  They are pretty cheap for the really small ones.  I have learned to do something difficult, think outside the box for a different solution.

Search this site and the YZ forum. Just discussed last month and a couple of good ways were posted.

Search this site and the YZ forum. Just discussed last month and a couple of good ways were posted.

Good call... I see a couple of methods to try before investing in some other puller.  I did get HF to take back the one I bought from them, so at least I got that $65 back.

Those bolts usually are available up to at least 1" hole size. hopefully you can find what you need for cheap.  How big are the holes?  over an inch?  You might be able to use a 3 jaw puller and reverse the arms so that you could use it in a similar way.  They are pretty cheap for the really small ones.  I have learned to do something difficult, think outside the box for a different solution.

If I measured the right shaft (and I think I did) then one is 20MM and one is 25MM, so just under 1".  I'm going to try heating the case in the oven first and see if that works for me.  

There are a few methods.

Warm case in oven and tap case open side down on a cardboard and they fall out sometimes.

Another was pack the inner side of bearing with plumbers putty and keep tapping the same size shaft in on top of putty. The idea is it has no place to go so it pushes the bearing up and out.

Same with wet newspaper or construction paper.

I seen it, but can't find it.

There are a few methods.

Warm case in oven and tap case open side down on a cardboard and they fall out sometimes.

Another was pack the inner side of bearing with plumbers putty and keep tapping the same size shaft in on top of putty. The idea is it has no place to go so it pushes the bearing up and out.

Same with wet newspaper or construction paper.

I seen it, but can't find it.

I found it.  I'm going to start with the oven method and if that doesn't work I've got a tub of plumbers putty in my garage.

I always have good luck with the oven. Most of the time I just want the crank bearings out, but at least a couple trans bearings fall out anyway.

There's also bread...

Concrete ancor bolts work decent. Put the in cranck the nut down then grap the bolt with visegrips and tap them out.

I guess the plumbers putty is next.  No joy from using the oven and tapping the case onto the bench.  Didn't budge at all.  Not too surprised on the one bearing, since it didn't budge at all when I was using the bearing puller with slide hammer.  

Nothing in my life is ever easy.....

This method works great. I've used it to pull blind bearing in my YZ 125 tranny ;)

This thread is why I like the Internet. New solutions to old problems. Learn something new every day!

Well, the plumbers putty worked for getting both bearings.  HOWEVER, if you are an idiot like me and use the "ready, fire, aim" approach to life then you need to be careful about what is behind the bearing you are getting out using the putty.  One of mine was the bearing that has the clutch actuating lever behind it.  So there is a passage for the lever, which has a seal and 2 roller bearings in the passage, plus the hole where the retaining screw comes in, plus a lubrication hole.  All of that fills up with the putty and takes a monumental amount of time to clean out.  I now have to replace that seal, and I'm still trying to make sure everything is out of those 2 roller bearings.  I tried blocking that hole off with some paper, but the putty just pushed the paper right through and out of the passage.

In hindsight, I should have gone and gotten a plug that would fit snuggly down into that cavity behind the bearing to keep the putty out of those passageways, but that would require a brain and some forethought.

The good news is, my bearings are out and I don't have to buy the $100 blind bearing puller.

Thanks for all the advice!!

Well, the plumbers putty worked for getting both bearings.  HOWEVER, if you are an idiot like me and use the "ready, fire, aim" approach to life then you need to be careful about what is behind the bearing you are getting out using the putty.  One of mine was the bearing that has the clutch actuating lever behind it.  So there is a passage for the lever, which has a seal and 2 roller bearings in the passage, plus the hole where the retaining screw comes in, plus a lubrication hole.  All of that fills up with the putty and takes a monumental amount of time to clean out.  I now have to replace that seal, and I'm still trying to make sure everything is out of those 2 roller bearings.  I tried blocking that hole off with some paper, but the putty just pushed the paper right through and out of the passage.

In hindsight, I should have gone and gotten a plug that would fit snuggly down into that cavity behind the bearing to keep the putty out of those passageways, but that would require a brain and some forethought.

The good news is, my bearings are out and I don't have to buy the $100 blind bearing puller.

Thanks for all the advice!!

DOH!  :doh:  :doh:  :doh: