RM85 won't rev cleanly

Hey guys,

In addition to my YZ's I also have an RM85 that has got the sputters real bad. Can't seem to get it to run clean at mid RPMs. If I hold it WOT for a while it seems to blow out all the crap and then runs clean for about 15 seconds before loading up again. I know these bikes are famous for stator failures, and I replaced it already with no success. I have tried almost everything so far. I posted in the Suzuki 2 stroke forum but there is not nearly as much traffic over there. Would you guys please take a look.

Thanks!

http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/1182250-rm85-sputteringmissfiring-at-low-to-mid-rpm/

Lean out a clip position (raise clip) and see how that feels. If it still feels groggy up top, drop down a main jet or two. That is what I would try at least. 

Edited by IamRooster151

Lean out a clip position (raise clip) and see how that feels. If it still feels groggy up top, drop down a main jet or two. That is what I would try at least. 

As I mentioned in the thread link above, I already tried going very lean. Check out all the things I tried.

As I mentioned in the thread link above, I already tried going very lean. Check out all the things I tried.

Realized that right after i posted, just trying to help. 

Realized that right after i posted, just trying to help. 

Thanks. I'm just getting so frustrated with this thing. I just ordered a used CDI and coil to see if that makes a difference. I even tried running it briefly without transmission oil to see if it was leaking through the right crank seal. Nope.

Shoot that is frustrating, just read the other thread. 

I know you said you did a compression check but consider new piston, ring & bearing. I have two rm85's and had the same prob. I switch everything over to narrow down problem and no fix. Fresh topend and bingo motor was back. rm85 has single ring goes away pretty quick. 

use stock jetting.. maybe one clip position.. thats it.  The oring head gasket is problematic too   

Edited by metalmachinery