Hands going numb

Never was a problem when I was younger. 35 now and I find the my hands go numb after about 15-20 of hard woods riding. Mostly my right hand, I have to take it off the throttle and let the blood re-circulate for a few seconds then I'm good to go for another 20 minutes or so. Anything I can do to help remedy this or does it just come with age?

The vibration from the handlebar makes my hand loose blood flow and that's when the numbness sets in. I wonder if a different grip would help or maybe even a dampner?

The vibration from the handlebar makes my hand loose blood flow and that's when the numbness sets in. I wonder if a different grip would help or maybe even a dampner?

Try bigger (thicker) grips. How hard are you holding your bars? Your grip should be pretty loose unless you're going thru a hard section or you're doing a technique... doing a technique... sounds like my grandma worded that. If you're death gripping/ white knuckling the bars the whole time your riding, it would certainly explain it. 

Id try the thicker grips and a looser grip first. If you want to spend money, I'd think the fasst flex bars would do more for you than a damper but the damper is a good mod regardless. 

I'm pretty sure I have carpal tunnel in one arm and loosening up my grip helped some. Sports/myofacial release/deep tissue massage helps too, I go once a month. Its cheap enough to try a couple times to see if it does anything for you. 

• Like 1

Try bigger (thicker) grips. How hard are you holding your bars? Your grip should be pretty loose unless you're going thru a hard section or you're doing a technique... doing a technique... sounds like my grandma worded that. If you're death gripping/ white knuckling the bars the whole time your riding, it would certainly explain it. 

Id try the thicker grips and a looser grip first. If you want to spend money, I'd think the fasst flex bars would do more for you than a damper but the damper is a good mod regardless. 

I'm pretty sure I have carpal tunnel in one arm and loosening up my grip helped some. Sports/myofacial release/deep tissue massage helps too, I go once a month. Its cheap enough to try a couple times to see if it does anything for you. 

I have a very loose grip on the bars and still get it.  Just one of those things I think.

I get it too, and it seems to get worse as I get older, a 4 stroke thumper or an inline 4 street bike. Worse when it's cold I think. A cheap partial fix I think (but the mind may be imagining) is silicone caulk in the handlebars of the dirt bike and lead shot in the street bike. Warning, the lead makes a bit of a mess after 75,000 miles with a lot of dust and is likely a health hazard.

I have been getting the numb hands too for the past 6 or 7 years it seems, Mostly on the right hand.  I shake it out for a couple seconds and good for another 10 mins.  I have been thinking recently that the issue is blood flow when my arms are extended out in front of me, as I have had my right hand start tingling while driving and I have my hand at the 12 o clock position on the wheel.  Seems I never had the issue until I broke my right collarbone. I just started experimenting with leaning forward more to try and get my upper arms to hang closer to my torso.  We will see.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the responses. Will try to keep away from the amputation for now. I try not to death grip the bars but can't say I 'always' have a loose grip. Thinking of trying different grips as suggested like the pillow tops. Will check out the flex bars as well. Damper sounds nice but is pretty pricey and I'm just a weekend warrior riding with my 13 year old son

Edited by BowHunter2400

Put pillow tops on my YZ250 and then went on travel before riding. Rode the other day and on the drive home I realized I never once felt any excess vibration or discomfort. My first pair of these grips. I guess they really work.

Thanks for all the responses. Will try to keep away from the amputation for now. I try not to death grip the bars but can't say I 'always' have a loose grip. Thinking of trying different grips as suggested like the pillow tops. Will check out the flex bars as well. Damper sounds nice but is pretty pricey and I'm just a weekend warrior riding with my 13 year old son

I went through a spell of the numb hands and here is the things that worked for me. No caffeine the day before riding or day of. Risers on the bars helped some as well perfect almost uncomfortable posture when sitting. Loosen up your grip and squeeze with your legs. I found I payed more attention to this and I was death squeezing my grips all the time I had to really concentrate not to do this. And finally I put a stabilizer on and I found I don't have my death grip on the bars anymore. Must of been mental. All of those have help me. I cut off a few finger tips about ten years ago and I think that was why I was gripping so hard was to make up for the lost leverage in my hand. I still only have about 5 hrs of riding before that hand is done but it was 3 hrs before I got the stabilizer. But my hands don't go numb and tired anymore.

I find when this happens to me that I'm not breathing properly.  I take big deep breaths in and exhale slowly and then concentrate on breathing and I'm fine after that.  I think it's oxygen starvation from holding my breath.

I truly appreciate all the advice everyone! Never thought about the compression sleeves. Fairly cheep thing to try and definitely will!. Also plan on focusing my breathing more as suggested and squeezing more with my legs. Will update with anything that starts to help!

Vibration in the hands can cause a disease known as Raynauds or "white finger" essentially disrupting circulation the to hands. This is also very common in construction workers who use chippers or jack hammers all day. They make a special anti vibration glove that I actually use for riding as well. Check your local construction safety store and ask for Anti Vibration gloves. They will have a special padding in the palms and fingers that is designed to disperse the energy before it gets to your hands.

I get the tingling in my left hand when dirtbiking, MTBing, or road cycling. I think it's related to my shoulder, as some crepitus was noted in my left shoulder at my last physical. I never followed up on it and don't remember ever injuring my shoulder.

• Like 1

+1 on shoulder probs being the cause. stretch your shoulders before and after your ride and see if it helps. deep tissue massage helped me.