10 things to love about the YZ250FX

1) First gear - perfect for technical terrain.  Don't have to regear the bike to have a proper speed in 1st gear.

2) 6 properly spaced gears.  There is a gear for everything.  No compromises, no significant gaps.  Excellent.

3) 18" rear wheel.  Great selection of off road tires, better cushion from taller sidewalls.

4) Excellent power for a 250F.  Lots of grunt with good rev out.  Its a 250F, but very liveable power levels everywhere.

5) SSS forks.  Great out of the box, easily tuned (revalved) by amateurs if needed.  Lots of support on TT.  You don't need to send your forks away to some black magic suspension shop to have a good riding bike.

6) Easy to work on.   Rear shock is removeable without taking off the sub frame !  Shock adjustment including preload is easy.  Idle adjustment is easy.  Air filter is easy to get to as well, though it takes a bit of time. 

7) Electrical power for a light, stock.   Don't have to buy an aux lighting coil !

8) Electric start that works great, all the time !  Who needs a kick starter ?

9) GYTR tuner lets the rider adjust the power to his liking, any way he wants it.  The tuner is portable so it can be taken on the trail.  Map changes are fast and simple and are easily felt.  Very effective.

10) The bike is reliable.  Minimal maintenance, long service lives, everything is built well.

10b) Excellent steering and handling.  "Makes you feel like Superman."

10c) It doesn't overheat !  You don't have to use fans, special coolants and high pressure radiator caps !

10d) The 250FX has no significant flaws.  It is not one of those bikes that you say "It is good, but...".  It is just plain good, everywhere.

10e) Very light clutch pull.  Super, super nice if you put a Magura on it. 

10f) Very hard to stall.  And if you do stall it, it restarts at almost zero speed.

Yamaha killed it with the YZ250FX.   Finally a Yamaha off road bike that you don't need to build yourself.

Edited by MidlifeCrisisGuy

I completely agree with all your points. Especially 10b). Owned mine a year and I'm still all smiles when I get off the bike.

A local guy actually has 2 FXs.  He has one set up for casual riding and another set up for racing, complete with a 270cc kit.  He used to ride a KTM 250 XCF.

I wish Yamaha would build a YZ350FX.

Well said!

So far i agree with all points, I put a Magura clutch on mine and made that already light clutch even better!.

The only thing i dont like so far, is it doesnt turn like my old woods setup CRF250R in single track, maybe due to its hight, the extra 20 pounds, or i havnt dialed the setup yet, but overall it is the best bike i've ever owned.

So far i agree with all points, I put a Magura clutch on mine and made that already light clutch even better!.

The only thing i dont like so far, is it doesnt turn like my old woods setup CRF250R in single track, maybe due to its hight, the extra 20 pounds, or i havnt dialed the setup yet, but overall it is the best bike i've ever owned.

Is the master cylinder on your Magura 9.5 or 10.5 mm ?  Did you use the kit for the FX ? 

As far as turning goes, mine turns excellent.   Put on good front tire, dial up enough preload to properly weight the front and it turns great.

Is the master cylinder on your Magura 9.5 or 10.5 mm ? Did you use the kit for the FX ?

As far as turning goes, mine turns excellent. Put on good front tire, dial up enough preload to properly weight the front and it turns great.

As far as the magura go's, I'm not sure, it was on my 2008 crf250r, but it fits the FX with no mods at all, and its perfect, I hate cable clutches, I havnt owned a bike with one in 9 years, the hydro stays consistent all the time, where as I find I'm constantly adjusting the freeplay on a cable.

As far as the magura go's, I'm not sure, it was on my 2008 crf250r, but it fits the FX with no mods at all, and its perfect, I hate cable clutches, I havnt owned a bike with one in 9 years, the hydro stays consistent all the time, where as I find I'm constantly adjusting the freeplay on a cable.

I think the size is on the master cylinder casting.

I love hydro clutches as well.   I bought the kit for the FX.   It came with the 9.5mm master.   The pull is crazy light and buttery smooth, but the throw would be shorter if it had a 10.5mm mc. 

They are giant killers in the right hands. How quickly the attitudes of pumpkin riders are when they see the fx or wr in action  :thumbsup: