IT'S LIVE! Full Review 2019 Honda CRF450L!!! Read more... ×

Upgraded Fork/Shock Springs on my 2015 WR250F...Any Setup Tips?

I found that the stock springs on my 2015 WR250F were a bit soft for my weight/height (200 pounds, 6'1") and riding ability (Vet A harescrambles). I called Factory Connection, and they recommended .46 fork springs and a 5.9 shock spring. I installed them and filled each fork with 325 ccs of 5 weight fork oil. It is obviously much stiffer now, but I was wondering what people think of the spring recommendations, and what setup tips you might have from personal experience on your WR250F or YZ250FX. Any help would be greatly appreciated. At this time, the bike seems to pack up on breaking bumps in the front quite badly. I am wondering if I might need a revalve due to the large change from the factory spring rates, or if I can mess with clickers enough to be happy with it. Thank you in advance! 

I've got the same bike and am 220 / 6' 1", but hardly qualified to give advice. I will give some thoughts though. So I took a guess on a few of the questions but the RaceTech calculator (http://racetech.com/ProductSearch/1/Yamaha/WR250F/2015 and then click "Calculate Spring Rates...") suggests .44 fork springs and .5998 shock spring, but possibly the age or type of rider I entered was off and it would matcn what FC told you with the right values (not claiming one is more right, just comparing). 

I've been on a quest to learn how to get my bike setup. You can see my similar post at http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/1175953-sag-sanity-check-2015-wr250f/ - some very useful comments there. The only mod I've done is the recommended RaceTech spring in back. I haven't done the recommended front fork spring yet because it's so close to the factory one, but I'll likely do that and maybe add RT gold valves sometime. Other than that, new fork oil, sag set according to what I've seen (most guys run it higher), bringing the forks up through the clamps (factory is 5mm, I saw suggestions for 3 - 4mm and so far am using 4mm), and then, starting with factory compression settings and adjusting for where you ride based on a bunch of reading and research (desert for me meant generally 1 - 3 clicks in on everything), I feel like I'm getting real close to something very good, or at least it's far and away the best it's been. Or, I'm deluding myself.

I'm sure you'll get some good thoughts from others here.

Thank you for the information. I am going to head to a course typical of what I would see on race day tonight, and I am going to do just that...test out some settings. Thank you again for responding!

• Like 1

I had my 14 yz250f revalved by KB5.  I weight about 222 pounds without clothes.  Initially the bike bought used came with .45 KB5 recommended .43 but I went with the .45 after the first ride I called him and said the front was too stiff did he valve plush it enough.  KB5 recommended .42 and the forks are great with the .42, the back has a 6.4 and is perfect

I'm 107kg, I've only had my rear Spring changed as I couldn't get the sag correct.

My forks have just been revalved by a factory kayaba tech. They feel perfect

I found that the stock springs on my 2015 WR250F were a bit soft for my weight/height (200 pounds, 6'1") and riding ability (Vet A harescrambles). I called Factory Connection, and they recommended .46 fork springs and a 5.9 shock spring. I installed them and filled each fork with 325 ccs of 5 weight fork oil. It is obviously much stiffer now, but I was wondering what people think of the spring recommendations, and what setup tips you might have from personal experience on your WR250F or YZ250FX. Any help would be greatly appreciated. At this time, the bike seems to pack up on breaking bumps in the front quite badly. I am wondering if I might need a revalve due to the large change from the factory spring rates, or if I can mess with clickers enough to be happy with it. Thank you in advance!

Sounds like rebounds to slow and if it's packin!

I have a 2015 YZ250FX.  I'm 6'1" and 220+ pounds in light street clothes.   I went 0.48 and 6.1.  I don't think it is too stiff.  I think the fork could use heavier springs.

I like to over spring and run lighter compression damping and less oil in the fork for a plusher ride on woods trash.

I revalved the compression stack in the shock.   It is better, but not perfect.   I'll report back when I have it really good.

Edited by MidlifeCrisisGuy
  • Like 1