Awkward Age to Ride!

Hey guys,

I wanted to get your thoughts on what I should do with my son and his competing.  My son is 14 years old and is about 5'6" to 5'7" tall and weighs around 140 lbs.  I have him on a 2004 KX 85 and he is doing good.  He just started riding last year and is competing in some local races.  My problem is that he is too big for the bike but he is not ready to go to a 125.  I want him to be able to compete with the people he races against.  What are yall's thoughts on what I should do. 

Thanks to all!

Tough call.  I remember going through that with my son a few years ago.  We did move him up to a 125 at that point, but there were pros and cons.  The bigger bike was more stable on the track and had more power for jumps so he made some progress there, but he wasn't as comfortable cornering it.  It took a good year for him to get used to it and grow into it.  He raced it in the 125cc class and was definitely outgunned, but because of his age, he was (still is) able to race in the Schoolboy class (which also has some fast kids!).

Is your son able to put his toes on the ground when on a 125?

I have a ktm 105xc, and I am the exact same height but weigh a little less. The bike is a perfect fit for me and it races in the super mini class. I'm starting racing sometime this month.

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1461088478.491924.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1461088497.590959.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1461088517.877775.jpg

• Like 1

I'm 5'4" and 140 (albeit im 29...yes I know...sad example of a Man) and used to have a 125 until I regrettably sold it...  :banghead:  :banghead:  :banghead:  but now im on the 450  :goofy:

I rode woods and never had a problem with my short legs/inseam so I'd imagine a track would be even more "short-leg friendly".  Besides...he's 14.  He'll probaly be 5'8" 165 by the end of the freakin season.... He might eat a little roost early on....but his learning curve would be much quicker if he's riding with a full size bike...and better riders.  Monkey see....Monkey do.  If he's racing already....he knows the bike will only go as fast as he twists... maybe ask him if HE THINKS a 125 would be cool???  When he says "yes" don't fight the inevitable!!! why waste a season of learning with the minis??

• Like 1

I'm 5'4" and 140 (albeit im 29...yes I know...sad example of a Man) and used to have a 125 until I regrettably sold it... :banghead::banghead::banghead: but now im on the 450 :goofy:

I rode woods and never had a problem with my short legs/inseam so I'd imagine a track would be even more "short-leg friendly". Besides...he's 14. He'll probaly be 5'8" 165 by the end of the freakin season.... He might eat a little roost early on....but his learning curve would be much quicker if he's riding with a full size bike...and better riders. Monkey see....Monkey do. If he's racing already....he knows the bike will only go as fast as he twists... maybe ask him if HE THINKS a 125 would be cool??? When he says "yes" don't fight the inevitable!!! why waste a season of learning with the minis??

I'm 5'5" so I feel your pain haha he'll fit on a 125 just fine. However power is a lot different. I was on a 125 at the age of 15. See if you sit on some at a dealer or have a friend let him ride one. I've ridden a kx100 as well and it's the same thing just really small.

Thanks to all that replied. I think I will put him on a 125. He is young enough to learn from the older kids and it will give him a leg up on some of the kids he rides against now. Thanks again.

• Like 4

If you think 14 is an awkward age to ride you should see me ride at 44!   Awwwwkkkkwaaaarrrrddd!!!  

I think the 125 is the right choice.  If he's already 5'7" at 14, he'll be 5'9" or taller before you can blink.  So it's probably only going to be a bit too tall for him for maybe a year.

• Like 2

I am 14 (though i'm 5´9¨) i'm riding a 250 and I was riding a 125 when I was that size.

I am 14 (though i'm 5´9¨) i'm riding a 250 and I was riding a 125 when I was that size.

didn't you just make a thread about buying a 250 and you said you're riding a pw80 at the moment? Lol Edited by ScrewMx_Hd
  • Like 1

didn't you just make a thread about buying a 250 and you said you're riding a pw80 at the moment? Lol

And he said he didn't know how to use a clutch. I'm so confused.

• Like 1

Sorry that was my friend (he was using my phone and didn't sign into his account)

didn't you just make a thread about buying a 250 and you said you're riding a pw80 at the moment? Lol

Sorry that was my friend (he was using my phone and didn't sign into his account) him riding a 250 is why I want to get one, we are basically the same size so I think I could handle it

Sorry that was my friend (he was using my phone and didn't sign into his account) him riding a 250 is why I want to get one, we are basically the same size so I think I could handle it

same size but the not the same skill level

same size but the not the same skill level

LOL true he is big into racing and has done it his whole life and I just mess around

If I were you I would get the 125 because it sounds like he is the perfect size to fit a 125. My friend was 5'7" 120lbs when he got his cr125 back in 2015 and it fit just fine. He is now 5'8" 135lbs and rides a 250f but its a bit much for him to handle.

• Like 1