New Set of Tires for New England Woods

Its time for some new meats for the husky. I've been doing some reading on all the tire threads floating around... overwhelming amount of info and opinions. On the DRZ I think i'm running Pirelli XCMH front and rear right now which has treated me pretty well. I've had a few combos on the drz but I want to try something new with more traction and 100% dirt on the husky. For the woods of New England, it seems like the following tires are well liked:

So my brain doesn't short circuit on me i'm just looking at running the same model line tire front and rear. Although I am open to running diff tires front and rear if there is a clear advantage. 

1. Pirelli MT16 

2. Mitas XT754 Red Stripe

3. GoldenTyre GT216 (apparently there are multiple versions of this tire that I haven't figured out yet?)

My initial thought is to just go with MT16s and forget about these other brands but figured I'd get some other opinions... if anyone even cares to comment on tires... at least I have an idea of what I want, right?  

I know I can get my hands on a set of MT16s in a couple days. Where the hell do you find Mitas and GoldenTyre in the US? 

I personally run the MT16 rear but not the front. It work great for the woods on CT. For a front I like the Bridgestone x30

On my xr400's I run the MT16 rear and a bridgestone M59 front UHD tubes and 10-12 pounds of air , works well for me and others that ride my bikes

Thumpy, you managed to make a list of most of the tires I haven't used yet!

I, too would love to know where one buys that xt754 in the US. Although, it doesn't come in a size reasonable for a 125, either.

You may want to look at the Shinko "Cheater" rear tire, a hybrid knobby/trials tire. It looks like a MT16 but the compound is very soft.

I have one and it worked great in the Arkansas rocks and even worked well in our local sandy single track.

It' holding up well too.

Good Luck!

Pirrelli MT-16 Rear

Bridgestone M59 front

This pretty much the standard go to for most people that ride in MA and NH.  I use them and all my friends use them, the set up just works.  However I did decide to try 

IRC 35 front and 33 rear.  But if I don't like them I will go straight back to what I suggested.

So I guess i'll save myself the headache of trying to find a mitas or goldentyre in the US. I looked for 10min last night and wasn't able to find one in the US that was under $100... no way i'm paying $100 for a front tire unless it does the tire swap and tubliss install for me. I'm surprised that you guys like the bridgestone front. I've just always written their tires off as MX only. I gotta do some research on them now. 

The IRC and Shinko tires interest me at the lower price point... I'd love to be able to ditch tires a little sooner. I'm pretty sure OZ DRZ did a review of that tire and said it was amazing until the leading edge of the knobs rounded off and then you'd be better off on a regular knobby... going to try and find that review to re watch tonight. 

has anybody done some more testing on these tires or found anything that works better for NE woods? I'm going to need to purchase a new rear soon, might wait until the winter and swap both out depending on how long this mitas gummy lasts.

MT16 rear and M59 front still does great in rocky NE terrain. I ran this combo for a few years.

I'm running a Starcross 5 soft up front right now. It seems to do almost as good in the rocks but gives a lot more confidence in slick mud. The life will only be about 1/2 - 2/3 the life of a M59 though. The M59 fronts last forever even with lots of sharp rock rides.

I run whatever is on sale for a rear these days. I shred them in rocks too fast to be picky.

One thing to be aware of is that I don't think you can get a MT16 for a 19" rear. The IRC VE33 is very similar from my experience and comes in a 19" for the few who run a 19" rear in rocks.

Edited by EEE299

My brother runs the star cross 5 setup on his bike and seems to like it although he isn’t picky. I think I’ll just run the basic setup I have an 18” rear wheel so I should be good

You can get mitas tires from Canada through these guys.

http://www.mx1canada.com/Mitas-Motorcycle-Tires-Canada/

The shinko 90/100 546 is also a good front tire for those conditions, its pretty similar to the golden tyre 216aa, there's ton of reviews for it on youtube. like this one.

On 4/20/2016 at 7:41 AM, flippedr6 said:

Pirrelli MT-16 Rear

Bridgestone M59 front

This pretty much the standard go to for most people that ride in MA and NH.  I use them and all my friends use them, the set up just works.  However I did decide to try 

IRC 35 front and 33 rear.  But if I don't like them I will go straight back to what I suggested.

I also run the M59 front and MT16 rear.  They work well.

Has anyone tried the Shinko 505 cheater 

I just purchased one.  It arrived yesterday.  I won't have it mounted for a while as my MT16 is still in good shape.

6 hours ago, Rgksr said:

I just purchased one.  It arrived yesterday.  I won't have it mounted for a while as my MT16 is still in good shape.

Oh cool, let me know how it works out Im still going to squeeze 5 more rides out of mine probably

MT16 rear is a no brainer. Long lasting and just plain hooks up. 

Dont run the MT16 front though. It is a DOT and just doesn't work well for rocks and roots. 

I run an IRC front.