Crack in the brake caliper fork clamp

Anyone seen this before

2004 S model, with 52K miles

Not really had a hardlife as most of the miles have been on the road as I use it as winter commuter- yes its done some off road stuff but its not as thought I've been landing 30ft double jumps on it

Can you see it?

20160419_165324.jpg

close up

20160419_165348.jpg

After a bit of a clean up with a wire brush

20160419_165552.jpg

• Like 1

Oh yes, got some spare forks that'll be going on asap.

I'm kind of wondering if salt has got down behind it and corroded it and its been expanded by that white crud that forms when sslt solution is in contact with aluminium as its in a strange place to fail there

Oh yes, got some spare forks that'll be going on asap.

I'm kind of wondering if salt has got down behind it and corroded it and its been expanded by that white crud that forms when sslt solution is in contact with aluminium as its in a strange place to fail there

possible .. i wonder if water trapped behind it and frozen could maybe do it to ..

Guy - I think you are exactly right.  I think if that lower part were to be cut off you would find corrosion behind it.  I am a metallurgist but it is still only a guess.

update 10 months on

the crack has got bigger

20170211_130746.jpg

Almost certain now that its road salt solution getting down behind the Aluminium bracket and the fork slider causing corrosion, which is pushing the two components apart with the result the brake caliper bracket is cracking from the stress

This is the gap between the fork slider and the bracket - plenty of gap for salty water to to get in there

20170211_130850.jpg

and this is the other side with no gap

20170211_130919.jpg

Forks are off now as that crack was getting too big for comfort

Edited by GuyGraham