No electric start after stator rewind

Hey Guys,  I have a 2008 KLX450R that I just installed a rewound stator from Ricky Stators in.  The bike fires up and runs fine with the kick start, the electric start does not work though.

The battery in it is only a year old, I took it to NAPA and they verified it is fine.  I also tried to jump start it from another car battery that I know is fine and no go.

I called Ricky Stators and talked to Mike there and everything seems to be wired up fine, I did also rewire the headlight directly to the battery.

When I hit the starter button there is an audible click and I could feel it from the part pictured below, I did take the 20 amp fuse out (the one inside, not the visible extra) and it looks fine, any ideas?

FullSizeRender3_zpswlbiygij.jpg

Hey Guys,  I have a 2008 KLX450R that I just installed a rewound stator from Ricky Stators in.  The bike fires up and runs fine with the kick start, the electric start does not work though.

The battery in it is only a year old, I took it to NAPA and they verified it is fine.  I also tried to jump start it from another car battery that I know is fine and no go.

I called Ricky Stators and talked to Mike there and everything seems to be wired up fine, I did also rewire the headlight directly to the battery.

When I hit the starter button there is an audible click and I could feel it from the part pictured below, I did take the 20 amp fuse out (the one inside, not the visible extra) and it looks fine, any ideas?

FullSizeRender3_zpswlbiygij.jpg

you my have a stuck starter, try tapping on the starter while pushing the start button, also ck that you have 12v at that the starter while pushing the start button,

Have you tried removing the headlight from the battery? I had a weird thing happen with the starter too last week. My battery died so I used a battery I had for my wifes bike that didn't fit so I made a short pair of jumper cables to go from battery to battery leads on the bike and the starter would spin but not engage to turn the motor. I removed the jumper cables and tied directly into the battery and it worked. Working with low voltage most of my life this didn't make any sense but it happened...

• Like 1

disconnect the wire from the solenoid, treat, and reinstall.  Mine has been problematic like that lately.

• Like 1

Update, I took the TUSK battery to a buddy's garage and he tested it, it drops to 2 to 3 volts under load so he suggested I get a new battery.  The guys that tested it yesterday at NAPA didn't seem to know how the work the fancy digital battery tester there so I'm glad I verified it with my buddy who knows what he's doing.  I should get the new battery in the next few days, hopefully that's it.  I still don't know why it did not start when I tried to jump it with a good car battery.

you my have a stuck starter, try tapping on the starter while pushing the start button, also ck that you have 12v at that the starter while pushing the start button,

Pulled the side cover, verified that starter spins but not with much umph, Thanks.

Have you tried removing the headlight from the battery? I had a weird thing happen with the starter too last week. My battery died so I used a battery I had for my wifes bike that didn't fit so I made a short pair of jumper cables to go from battery to battery leads on the bike and the starter would spin but not engage to turn the motor. I removed the jumper cables and tied directly into the battery and it worked. Working with low voltage most of my life this didn't make any sense but it happened...

Already tried that, Thanks

disconnect the wire from the solenoid, treat, and reinstall.  Mine has been problematic like that lately.

Will do, Thanks

Edited by coreseller

Just a thought on this ...when you removed the stator cover, did you also remove that other cover to the starter motor gearing? If you did and reinstalled it, you need to get those teeth to line up just right to get the cover back on. If they aren't, I could envision the problem you're having with a click of the starter electrics but no movement of the starter motor to the gearing that's tied into the stator. I hope I'm making sense here. It's a bit hard to describe but I had this problem putting that starter gear cover back in perfectly. I thought I had the teeth lined up right and the cover fit on but I needed to remove it again for a different reason and came to realize the teeth were not perfectly lined up upon reinstallation.

• Like 1

Just a thought on this ...when you removed the stator cover, did you also remove that other cover to the starter motor gearing? If you did and reinstalled it, you need to get those teeth to line up just right to get the cover back on. If they aren't, I could envision the problem you're having with a click of the starter electrics but no movement of the starter motor to the gearing that's tied into the stator. I hope I'm making sense here. It's a bit hard to describe but I had this problem putting that starter gear cover back in perfectly. I thought I had the teeth lined up right and the cover fit on but I needed to remove it again for a different reason and came to realize the teeth were not perfectly lined up upon reinstallation.

Thanks Socal, I actually already did this twice, I'm pretty sure / hoping the new battery will cure things, will update after I get it in.

Well, I just put in a brand new battery and no difference.  I did clean terminals and try only the battery with the same results.  Here is a video of the starter engaging the gear but not rotating it, also when I remove the gear the starter rotates freely :

http://vid46.photobucket.com/albums/f101/coreseller/MVI_1392_zpsrxjojadn.mp4

I did indeed remove the entire side cover to confirm the idler gear does turn the assembly which it does.

Edited by coreseller

Seeing the video, I still think it's something to do with the gear you've removed not setting properly with that gearing under the magneto cover. I know it seems/feels like it just slides right in there but it needs to click in place perfectly with the teeth on the gear under the magneto cover. You're getting power to the starter gear mechanism as we can see at the end of the video when you remove the gear. Once you get it aligned perfectly, you'll know right away because the gear will seat well.

• Like 1

Seeing the video, I still think it's something to do with the gear you've removed not setting properly with that gearing under the magneto cover. I know it seems/feels like it just slides right in there but it needs to click in place perfectly with the teeth on the gear under the magneto cover. You're getting power to the starter gear mechanism as we can see at the end of the video when you remove the gear. Once you get it aligned perfectly, you'll know right away because the gear will seat well.

Boy Socal I wish you were right but I've had the cover off half a dozen times rechecking the "seating", also the fact that the cover goes back on completely tells me the gear has no more rearward movement.

You're right in that it would be easy to think it was in and it wasn't, we've determined that it's in correctly a few times, I'm sure I'll try again later tonight.

Ok ...just curious, what's the voltage of your battery with the bike off? And the gear under the magneto cover spins by hand ok?

• Like 1

Thanks Again Socal, I truly appreciate the help.  According to my Harbor Freight volt Meter 11.96 Volts.

Regarding the Gear I'll refer to this diagram:

canvas_zpsr9sgvfxp.png

Part # 39076 is the gear that the starter engages with.  The small gear on that engages part # 59051 the idler gear.  The idler gear engages part # 13216 which spins the crank.

Neither the idler gear nor the crank gears "freely" spin due to the compression, they do spin / rotate though. 

I am going to pull the side cover off again tomorrow, I frankly had to walk away from the project this afternoon and am into my 3rd beer lol.

Edited by coreseller

I'm wondering if your 11.96 volts is just a bit too low. I'm assuming this is your new Shorai? They come from the factory partially charged (like 60%). Can you charge it and get it up over 13 volts and then try again? Hell, it's worth a shot at this point. Too funny about into your third beer ...I'm the same way! And I often times walk away when I'm frustrated with something like this. Usually when I come back to it, I can figure it out

Note to Self:  You DO NOT have to torque side covers on with Orangutan Strength.............

Pulled the side cover this morning and looked things over for the umpteenth time, decided to experiment with seeing if it turns over in various stages of reassembly.  Found out I had been tightening / torquing down the cover's bolts too much causing the idler gear to bind up.  I feel like a total dumbass once again but hey it starts now lol.

Thanks again for all of the help guys......Mark.

Update on the Update, oil spitting out various spots where the side cover gasket seats, I guess you can only torque those things down so many times lol.  This bike freakin hates me lol.

PS....................I think I already know the answer but wanted to check with you guys, should I use any Permatex or RTV (other than around the electrical boots) on the new generator gasket when I install it?

Edited by coreseller

Great job on finding the issue It sucks that you now have a new issue Have you been using Liquid Gasket when reinstalling that magneto cover? The service manual instructs to do so. I got some on Amazon. Not sure what Permatex or RTV is.

I just use OEM gasket. Finger tighten in star pattern bumping kick start every now and then to prevent binding.  Once seated, star pattern up to 40 in/lb.  Last star pattern to 65 in/lb. No leaks and I can reuse the gasket a couple times.

Well, that was no doubt the longest project I have had on anything mechanical since 1987 when I restored a car lol.  Finally got the new gasket, cleaned the mating surfaces and wiped with alcohol, spread a thin bead of Kawasaki Liquid Gasket and followed Willy's tightening recommendation.  Let it dry an hour, topped off the oil, fired her up and all looks good. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Again, many thanks to you guys for the help, this is a GREAT forum......Mark.

Edited by coreseller