any tricks to make fried clutch plates to work a bit?

just to get to civilization?

Remove the clutch cover, since everyone always brings tools when they leave civilization..

Look around to find thin slivers of wood, that you can stuff between the clutch plates.  This is called the Wooden Way of Shim Stacks.  Cedar works well, it's a hard wood :)

Slip the clutch as much as possible to "burn in" the shims, so they grip. 

Drain your oil so the clutch is really sticky. 

Remove the clutch cover, since everyone always brings tools when they leave civilization..

Look around to find thin slivers of wood, that you can stuff between the clutch plates.  This is called the Wooden Way of Shim Stacks.  Cedar works well, it's a hard wood :)

Slip the clutch as much as possible to "burn in" the shims, so they grip. 

Drain your oil so the clutch is really sticky. 

does it really work? it would be great, by draining oil you mean only a bit not all I hope :)

does it really work? it would be great, by draining oil you mean only a bit not all I hope :)

Actually none of this will work lol.

The only thing you can do is adjust the clutch cable to have plenty of slack in it, then baby the clutch--meaning slip it as little as possible.

Actually none of this will work lol.

The only thing you can do is adjust the clutch cable to have plenty of slack in it, then baby the clutch--meaning slip it as little as possible.

LOL, but I heard about something simillar for real, like breaking one friction plate in half  and sticking back on each other so the clutch lock,

allowing to kinda ride in gear.

Edited by motf

LO, but I heard about something simillar for real, like breaking one friction plate in half and sticking back on each other so the clutch lock,

allowing to kinda ride in gear.

yes. I'll lock it up solid.

Put an extra steel in usually will work

just to get to civilization?

Mmmm fried clutch plates....BON_KFC_logo.jpgdk382023.jpghomer_simpson.jpgWhen you go to the bike shop, purchase new plates, steel and fiber, fresh oil, and try some new clutch springs to wrap up a good repair.

Being some sandpaper with you and sand the plates a bit to rough them up

If I'm going a long way I usually take a spare plate along. Its an easy install and a single plate replacement is often enough to take up the slack to get you to the nearest town. I never have had much problem with clutches...I always quick shift up as well.

Do you wear goggles? Do you carry something that can cut them? Lexan won't melt until 270-300 degrees (which the clutch probably sees every so often, but hopefully your engine doesn't get that hot!) and is only about .020" thick which is enough to go from too loose to too tight. I used that trick to get a rider (not from our group) off a pretty remote section of single track back in '07. We were able to cut 2 or 3 semi circular pieces out of 1 lens and fit it between the first friction and steel (the thought was that it would fall out if we put it closest to the pressure plate, and the center of the pack is what gets fried first.) He rode roughly 2 miles and got off the bike and "walked" it through a couple particularly boulderous spots, but it got him back to the closest 4wd trail where we parted ways. When in BFE you've got to weigh the risk vs reward, that instance was on a 2 stroke so though there was the potential for a gooey plastic mess, it wasn't going to get in the engine. The guy was more concerned with getting the hell out of there than any further damage. I would have liked to have known how it looked when he opened it up. That same trail (over several ocassions) has brought more Macguyver moments than all the other rides I've been on combined!