2001 WR250F - disregard the nickname

I originally made this account when I was 15 or 16. Anyways.......

Just picked up a used 2001 WR250F, my first bike in over 10 years.  I am definetly a bit nervous about the "modern day 4 stroke" but luckily the internet has a huge amount of information out there. A little history on the bike :

Wiseco piston / rings - 20 hrs

Hot Cams Camshaft with auto decompression - 20 hrs

all new top end gaskets - 20 hrs

new wheel bearings, JD Jet kit with fuel screw, GYTR baffle, stock exhaust, "o-ring mod" in the carb, airbox cover off

This is a Canadian bike, when the previous owner about the throttle stop and grey wire mods, he said that he looked and looked and could not find the grey wire. Also noted that when he had the carb apart, the throttle opened all the way.

Bike starts easily 2/3 kicks. Has enough power for me; especially getting back into riding.

Is there anything I should know about these bikes? It seems they get very good reviews all around. Do parts from the YZF bolt on? how often should the oil be changed if I want to maximize the engine life? I have an hour meter on order.

My only "complaint" would be about the low end bog. I am used to being able to tractor the old XR around in 3rd gear barely above idle. This beast likes to rev.

Edited by XRalways

"My only "complaint" would be about the low end bog. I am used to being able to tractor the old XR around in 3rd gear barely above idle. This beast likes to rev."

Yep, its a WR, bog is how you tell.  

The key is the stock muffler.  You need either a YZ250F muffler, or an accessory muffler.  Take your choice on which is your fav.  Add a sparky to the YZ, or get one on the accessory.  I could not get rid of my bog until I did that swap.  Tweek the fuel screw after the change.  JD jet kit is the best.

Been there with the XRs, good bikes, just a little heavy when compared with the WRs.  I had always thought an XR 185 with a 350 piston would make a good bike.  Guess Yamaha got my wish list.

Good luck with it.

PS  keep the linkage bearings clean or greased, change the oil every 5 hrs, filter every other oil change, clean the air filter every few hrs or after every dusty ride and make sure its sealed up in the airbox, make sure the air boot is tight on the carb. 

Edited by ronbuell

I also have an 01 that I bought still new in 03. It had 100s of hours with no motor work and no valve adjustment needed but the crank failed 2 years ago. After a full rebuild runs like new again. I always used bel ray thumper oil and changed every 5-10 hours.

Boyesen quick shot accelerator pump cover helped remove some of the bog and low end stalling.

Almost every yz part from similar years is interchangeable except the rear brake rotor.

You got a great bike, keep it serviced and it is pretty much bomb proof.

I was looking into the quickshot, but reviews are heavily mixed. I think Im going to ride it this season and maybe look into it for next year. Right now I am trying to educate myself on the maintenance aspect. What oil seems to be a huge one - I am thinking a full synthetic motorcycle oil should be good.

Also the air filter maintenance. I used to just clean the filter with dishsoap. I see a lot of guys are using 'no toil'. I was thinking of picking some up along with an extra filter.

Ok, thats what I always used to use. These new bikes are a bit more high maintenance.

Yeah, think about it like this...  XRs and XLs used about 3 qts and you could go till it turned black.  The WRs and YZs only take 1.25 qts  Its a dry sump design to cut down on wet sump friction, crank hitting the oil.  Its also lighter weight since less oil.  Storing it in the front down tube helps cool it some too.  These are highly stressed engines, so keep  up the maintenance.  If it was scaled up to equal a 5.0 Mustang engine, it would be putting out over 450 HP, just to give you an idea.  Take care of it, and it'll last a long time.

L8tr, Ron :thumbsup:

I know there are quite a number of threads on low end bog. To save a lot of reading here, search like yz or wr low end bog in the search. Things like AP squirt timing, leak jets, oring mod, etc, etc.

My only real problem with the low end bog is some of the trails I do are very tight. I find im on the clutch non stop to keep from stalling. Maybe i just need to change my riding style from what I am used to. Id like to be able to tractor a bit more

Maybe, I mean I ride a YZ in tight woods and i dont mind it lol. Then again, I have a Rekluse. Surprised in 2nd/3rd its such a problem, mine wasn't too bad. They are a lil top heavy imo, but it was the first stab at the wr250f. 

My only real problem with the low end bog is some of the trails I do are very tight. I find im on the clutch non stop to keep from stalling. Maybe i just need to change my riding style from what I am used to. Id like to be able to tractor a bit more

Try using an "on-off" method of throttle application.  It works well with the YZ since it has a light flywheel.  After you fix the bog, you should be able to loft the front wheel going slow without bog in first or second gears.