Anyone running at 52T rear on their FX / 2015 WR?

Just wondering if anyone is running 13/52 on their FX or 15' WR?  Im currently running the stock 13/51 and have no grips with it.  However, I'm about due for a sprocket and chain replacement and have a new 52' sitting in the shop that was for my previous generation WR.  Wouldn't mind using that and saving some coin.  Just curious about any general feedback before putting it on.. Plan is to change both the front and rear sprocket at the same time, with a new chain.. I generally ride tight single track in the woods (PNW), with some flowy single track thrown in.  Thanks.

Im in the same boat kinda, I do it all with my bike, gncc, hare scrambles and single track. I was thinking of doing 52 then i can stay in 3rd gear and not have to down shift into 2nd. Or go 50T and stay in 2nd. But cant make up my mind so i'll stay stock until i kill the sprockets.

• Like 1

Im in the same boat kinda, I do it all with my bike, gncc, hare scrambles and single track. I was thinking of doing 52 then i can stay in 3rd gear and not have to down shift into 2nd. Or go 50T and stay in 2nd. But cant make up my mind so i'll stay stock until i kill the sprockets.

I'm thinking the same thing. Third gear is my fav and I find myself sometimes wishing I had just a little more pop in third when ripping through the flowy single track.

• Like 1

15 WR250F comes with a 50T rear I find it a little tall in the woods. However for dual sport purposes where one needs to ride a little paved road (BTW my WR is street legal) here and there I prefer the 48T rear but it is not great in tight off road sections. I plan to use the 48T out west on my Moab trip in 4 weeks. Will have the 50T with me for backup though.

Edited by MS450

I'm at 60 hours and still running the original 13/51 on my FX. No complaints but to answer the OP question, if I had a 52 on the shelf I'd use it. The top gear is still very high and gives ample top speed. Sacrificing a few MPH won't hurt and like the others have said may make 3rd gear more usable overall

• Like 1

Okay - All you 52 lovers... Did you use a longer chain to keep or add wheelbase. OR.. stock length making it shorter wheelbase.

I just threw on the 52 last night and am going to test it today. Just used the stock length chain. Not sure why you would go through the effort of adding a longer chain if there is enough room with the stock chain. Moved the rear tire forward a few mm. Edited by NW_drZ

I couldn't imagine how useless 1st and 2nd gear must be with a 52T. I have one, guess I'll give it a try. I went the opposite direction with a 50T which made 1st and 2nd more usable and third seems the same.

See the thing is I rarely (almost never) use 1st gear. Doesn't matter how nasty the terrain is. I always feather 2nd. If possible I always prefer riding a gear tall. 3rd is the ticket for me in single track. Only time 1st might (and I mean might) come into play is on a pivot turn over an obstacle, or other obstacles that are at a stand still. Even still I usually just pop it in 2nd. 1st gear i find to be a bucking bronco ?.

• Like 3

See the thing is I rarely (almost never) use 1st gear. Doesn't matter how nasty the terrain is. I always feather 2nd. If possible I always prefer riding a gear tall. 3rd is the ticket for me in single track. Only time 1st might (and I mean might) come into play is on a pivot turn over an obstacle, or other obstacles that are at a stand still. Even still I usually just pop it in 2nd. 1st gear i find to be a bucking bronco ?.

I would say all that about my riding also but that being said, I wouldn't want second any shorter. The 50T took away some of the bucking bronco action in first. Really, the only time I use first is taking off(not race starts) and on slow technical downhills to help control speed. Second and third are my go to gears and I prefer them to have a longer range not shorter.

• Like 1

I'm hungover today so my review will be short. For a woods rider I think the 52 is a great compromise. It gave me just that extra bite in third that I was looking for. Perfect for the single track. Compliments the rekluse well. Second is good when the going gets tight and obstacles present themselves. Because the sixth gear is so tall, transfer sections are still comfortable. Bike will cruise between 50-60mph no prob without straining the bike. Granted I rarely if ever hit that speed as a woods rider. Third gear is my go to and I found that I was able to utilize it longer without dropping down to second. Just a blip of throttle with a clutch drop got me over roots and small logs when in the meat of third. Riding a gear tall has always allowed me to conserve more energy. Less arm rip off ?

Edited by NW_drZ
  • Like 2

I'm thinking of regearing to 52 or even bigger.

I'm a big guy, 6'1", 220 pounds in running gear at the gym.  I usually ride a WR450F.  On Friday I did a 25 mile ride.  There was a couple situations where I found the gearing lacking.

- There was a long moderate uphill through the trees where the bike was revving pretty high in 1st, but wasn't pulling 2nd well.  I wouldn't call it a hill climb, just continuously up on a slope with tight trees and step ups all the way.   I made it fine, probably better than a lot of the other bikes, but I was slipping the clutch a lot, going back between 1st and 2nd a lot.  It was frustrating, basically because there was no right gear.  1st was too slow and 2nd revved too slow for enough oomf to lift the front wheel up the steps, etc.

- There was a medium hill on a scree slope that starts with a turn at the bottom.  On my 450F, you corner in 1st, you nail the throttle when you clear the turn, grab 2nd and blast your way up the hill.   On the 250FX, not much happened when I nailed the throttle in 1st coming out of the turn.   And there was no way to grab 2nd gear.  I had to side hill to make it up.  A bit more acceleration in 1st and a closer 2nd gear would have really helped.

- A rider fell in front of me on another climb.  I had to chop throttle, drop a gear to first and squeeze by him.  Traction was good so I was able to keep going, but I could not get the engine back up to revs in 1st gear.  I ended up slipping the clutch all the way up with the throttle just about pinned, but the engine not spinning fast.   The fallen rider said it sounded like my bike was bogging badly, which it was.

Most of the time, on flowing trail, I think my FX has good power.  Not awesome power, especially when you are used to riding a 450F.  I never feel it has any arm rip off power, but then after riding a 45 HP bike with torque everywhere, no 250 will.  But there are a few times in 1st and 2nd gear situations where I would like more pull and closer gearing.   I'm hoping that gearing it down a bit will help.

I'll test it and report back.

I absolutely love my FX other than these few instances.