Powder Coat ENTIRE WHEEL still assembled?

Has anyone done this?

I've heard both "Sure you can" and "Hell no, you  have to disassemble it all".

It sure would be easier if I could just have the whole wheel done, still assembled, in one piece.  Kinda John Deere like, all sealed up and ready for work.

What do you mean, assembled on the bike or the spokes or the tire. I don't know the answer anyway I am just curious, :)

Looks like some folks have done it.

100_7476.jpg

Its not like we have a bunch of options for our rear wheels.

What do you mean, assembled on the bike or the spokes or the tire. I don't know the answer anyway I am just curious, :)

The whole wheel assembly still together.  Rim, spokes, hub still assembled, bearings and seals removed and of course the tire and tube. :)

The whole wheel assembly still together.  Rim, spokes, hub still assembled, bearings and seals removed and of course the tire and tube. :)

I called my local powder coating shop and they said it's totally normal and they do it all the time. Just tire and bearing off.

I would fear making a mess when I tried to tighten spokes.  Would the paint crack neatly at the nipple base?

Also, would I have to grind the slot on my spoke wrench?  And would the spoke flat chip or crack?

Maybe it's all good.  If so - Winner!

I would fear making a mess when I tried to tighten spokes.  Would the paint crack neatly at the nipple base?

Also, would I have to grind the slot on my spoke wrench?  And would the spoke flat chip or crack?

If you live like that you won't enjoy riding a dirt bike IMO. My bike is all scratched and dinged up I don't care anymore and it's the best feeling. Changing tires with a flat bar scratches everywhere and no shits given, it's a bliss.

I get you Yap.  Most people would never think of powder coating dirt bike parts, for the same reason.

I figure if someone is going to do that, they are going to want to keep it pretty nice.  I'd hate for it to go to shit too quickly.

Not really an issue for a couple of reasons.

I just checked the true of my rear wheel and it was very good, no need to try and tighten any spokes.

If it had been out, I don't think the nipples will tighten or loosen, they seem to be fused to the spoke and this is common with factory spoked wheels both dirt and street.

I do have one loose spoke but the nipple won't move.  I'm gonna take it to my buddy's shop and see if he has any tricks to get them free otherwise I'll just replace the spoke and nipple.

My reason for doing this instead of breaking it down is of course the ease and faster, cheaper turn around.  Also I think this way might better seal the wheel up at the nipples, make it more water, mung and drool proof.  Then of course the bling factor and easier clean up.

My opinion only. Your an idiot if you powder coat your whole wheel. No good reason to do it other than you're bored and want to do something. We have all done something like this at sometime in our lives, so I say do it and have a good time.

• Like 1

in general im not a fan of powder coating at all.

sure its a tough coating but every where I see it used, it fails.

It seems to hold up for a while but then it comes off in scabs.

and the metal under the coating looks as it has been exposed for years.

I think moisture gets under the crap and then is trapped, so it just destroys the metal to the point the paint has nothing left to stick to.

(check out truck receiver hitches, lawnmower decks etc...)

you may rub off a chemical paint (say where your MX boots touch the frame) but where the paint is its still protecting the metals...

powder coat ?  no thanks .....

• Like 2

My opinion only. Your an idiot if you powder coat your whole wheel. No good reason to do it other than you're bored and want to do something. We have all done something like this at sometime in our lives, so I say do it and have a good time.

Well thanks for your opinion on this matter and wishing me a good time doing it.  Since we're on the topic of idiots, it's "You're" an idiot, not "Your".  :facepalm:

• Like 1

in general im not a fan of powder coating at all.

sure its a tough coating but every where I see it used, it fails.

It seems to hold up for a while but then it comes off in scabs.

and the metal under the coating looks as it has been exposed for years.

I think moisture gets under the crap and then is trapped, so it just destroys the metal to the point the paint has nothing left to stick to.

(check out truck receiver hitches, lawnmower decks etc...)

you may rub off a chemical paint (say where your MX boots touch the frame) but where the paint is its still protecting the metals...

powder coat ?  no thanks .....

Yes, I've seen Powder Coat fail many times for various reasons but it would be difficult to rattle can a spoked wheel and get into all the nooks and crannies not to mention have the result look even and glossy.

Well thanks for your opinion on this matter and wishing me a good time doing it.  Since we're on the topic of idiots, it's "You're" an idiot, not "Your".  :facepalm:

Yes you're correct, I am an idiot. :smashpc:

• Like 1

I know y'all have been waiting patiently to see how my rear wheel came out, here she be!

IMG_20160509_172744478.jpg

IMG_20160511_094425570_HDR.jpg

In all her Black Semi Gloss glory.  Looks baller, might do the entire frame and swingarm or at least the front wheel and drum cover/hub.

• Like 1

I know y'all have been waiting patiently to see how my rear wheel came out, here she be!

IMG_20160509_172744478.jpg

IMG_20160511_094425570_HDR.jpg

In all her Black Semi Gloss glory.  Looks baller, might do the entire frame and swingarm or at least the front wheel and drum cover/hub.

looking really good. Leave the swing arm alone. Do the front wheel and if possible the frame.

• Like 1