Need ALL new gear, I mean everything, and need help.

I need all new gear this year everything. I need pants,jersey,loves,helmet,boots,a chest protector,and kinda a neck brace. I was looking at some options and need some help as my birthday is coming up. First up boots. i really love the fox comp 8 boots, kinda settled on them but dont know whether to get the blue and orange ones to match my bike or all black so i can use them with other gear and they still look good. I am getting into harescrambles so they need to be durable and cant stain from mud, are these a good choice? Next is pants,jersey,gloves, i was looking at the a bunch of gear but cant find what i want i want like blue and orange or like just blue, my bike is ktm and im getting blue number plates so orange or blue is what i want, i need the gear to be durable and i dont wan to much mess on it or for it to be really lite and weak. I also would like it to kinda match my helmet. That leads us to the next topic helmet. I am torn between the bell moto 9 or the Fly 2016 f2 carbon helmet with MIPS-zoom. I am getting all new gear so the cheaper fly helmet might be good, but is it better than the bell safety wise and durability wise? i like the new MIPS design and think its good. I also need it to be light and comfortable. I want the helmet in orange,black,and white, to kinda match gear and the bike. And if i do get a neck brace im decided on the leatt gpx 4.5, and for a chest protector the adventure lite chest protector.So as you can tell i need help. Any thoughts on anything? some links

Boots- http://www.motosport.com/fox-racing-2016-comp-8-boots (black or blue and orange)

Helmets-http://www.motosport.com/fly-2016-f2-carbon-helmet-with-mips-zoom  (orange/black/white)

bell-http://www.motosport.com/bell-moto9-helmet-intake(in orange)

Gear maybe-http://www.motosport.com/fly-2016-kinetic-combo-trifecta (blue flo orange)

http://www.motosport.com/troy-lee-designs-2016-se-air-pantjersey-combo-caution

• Like 1

What level of rider are you??  Remember you don't need top of the line if you are just starting out.  What bike do you ride??

Matching gear is nice, but trust me it's not a necessity.  I have a Fox V2 helmet, mismatched pants and jersey, 100% goggles, Fox Dirt Paw gloves, Fox chest protector, Gaerne boots, etc. 

• Like 2

What level of rider are you?? Remember you don't need top of the line if you are just starting out. What bike do you ride??

Matching gear is nice, but trust me it's not a necessity. I have a Fox V2 helmet, mismatched pants and jersey, 100% goggles, Fox Dirt Paw gloves, Fox chest protector, Gaerne boots, etc.

I would get the best I could afford at any level if I planned on pushing myself.

Get the gpx 5.5. It's much better with all the adjusting and stuff and not overly too expensive. I'll put in a more detailed reply in the morning but I would either get the fly or bell or maybe consider a Leatt gpx 5.5 helmet. Good helmet and designed with the neck brace

Helmet and boots are by far the most important. There is no substitute for testing them out in person.

Every helmet and pair of boots that I've mail ordered blind was a disappointment.

I wish I had someplace with a good selection near me, I need a new helmet ASAP :(

When I was competing in enduros and hair scrambles neck braces weren't invented yet, and although I had a chest protector, I often chose not to use it. I found it was most useful in hot weather when used with a very light weight Jersey. In cooler conditions a proper riding jacket with some under layers perfectly safe and comfortable. Note that all my riding has been in East Coast woods (not a lot of seriously high speeds), other conditions may warrant more gear.

I'll admit that the chest protectors of today look a lot more effective than the stuff from the early nineties, the one time that I took a spill in the rocks with my chest protector on at speed something snagged the side straps and pulled it right off me.

• Like 1

They have last years fox v3 helmets on sale at BTO and rocky mtn, it has mips, and dual density liner, those are the two things I look for in a helmet now days, then I find a brand that fits my head right and is in my price range. Color and brand are low on the list.

Check out the close out sections you can save a lot of money

You can save a good chunk of change buying used. This would also enable you to get top-of-the-line gear; I got my Gearne SG12's for under $200.00, and they are considered one of, if not the best boots out there. E Bay is your friend. Obviously some stuff you don't want used, like goggles.

Thanks for the input, i know that helmet and boots are the first priority, but with needing new everything and new number plates, spending 500 on a helmet won't work. Plan is helmet and boots firts then jersey,pants,globes then if i get some extra cash a new neck brace and chest protector, my neck brace now is ok but bulky.

You dont have to spend 500 on a helmet to get a good one, i found a fox v4 with mips on sale for 250 ip here jn canada, look around and remember that your head is the most important thing to protect.....

Thanks for the input, i know that helmet and boots are the first priority, but with needing new everything and new number plates, spending 500 on a helmet won't work. Plan is helmet and boots firts then jersey,pants,globes then if i get some extra cash a new neck brace and chest protector, my neck brace now is ok but bulky.

I think HJC helmets with a snell and dot certification are just as safe as a $500 helmet with the same certs. They might not be as light weight or have some new fancy vent system but they will do their job. Point is you don't need to spend huge cash to get a safe helmet. If I were looking to spend a lot on a helmet I would buy an Arai though. Just do your research and make your pick :thumbsup:

Edited by Metal and Dirt

Cheap and helmet don't belong in the same sentence.

1- Good helmet

2- Good boots

3- Whatever you can afford after that

Fixed it:

1- Good helmet

2- Neck brace

3- Good boots

4- Whatever you can afford after that

• Like 2

I think HJC helmets with a snell and dot certification are just as safe as a $500 helmet with the same certs. They might not be as light weight or have some new fancy vent system but they will do their job. Point is you don't need to spend huge cash to get a safe helmet. If I were looking to spend a lot on a helmet I would buy an Arai though. Just do your research and make your pick :thumbsup:

A hjc will be no where near as safe as a helmet like the bell moto 9/flex or a 6D. Certifications don't mean much from what I have read

A hjc will be no where near as safe as a helmet like the bell moto 9/flex or a 6D. Certifications don't mean much from what I have read

Here is a quick summary of the 3 most common certifications http://silodrome.com/snell-vs-dot-vs-ece-r22-05-helmet-standards-throwdown/

There has to be some sort of standard or measurement to get some sort of data out of how they perform. These standards are a better measurement system than a price tag. Ideally the more certifications your helmet qualifies for the better off. A number of helmet makers specify exceeds certain standards, which is even better yet.

If you are more worried about matching colors than performance, get gear that matches your skirt.

• Like 4

Here is a quick summary of the 3 most common certifications http://silodrome.com/snell-vs-dot-vs-ece-r22-05-helmet-standards-throwdown/

There has to be some sort of standard or measurement to get some sort of data out of how they perform. These standards are a better measurement system than a price tag. Ideally the more certifications your helmet qualifies for the better off. A number of helmet makers specify exceeds certain standards, which is even better yet.

So yeah, not super relevant but helps. It focuses on a direct impact going straight at 17 mph. Very few dirt biking crashes replicate this but I'm sure still helps.

Edit

It only says the 6d exceeds DOT but does not mention any others. 6d is known to be one of if not the most technologically advanced helmets. Same with the Leatt gpx 5.5

Edited by jay bird1138

If you are more worried about matching colors than performance, get gear that matches your skirt.

No kidding.  For me, red bike, orange and white gear, black/red/white helmet, red neck brace, white body armor, black boots.  The only thing that matches is my orange and white gloves match my KTM colored gear and I ride a Honda. :lol:

• Like 1

I'm not saying my number one priority is looks, but if i can some semi matching gear it would be nice, i want more blue and some orange gear, but i don't have to have that. If i am going to be paying the price for all new good gear, then for the price tag of helmets like the bell moto 9 and boots upwards of 400 dollars, then i think i should get the color option i want.if i can get all natching gear in all the stuff i want in the first place,not becuase of the looks but because of its reviews and safety, and then on top of that it matches then whats wrong with that? I think safety is number one but for the price i think i should be able to make it all tie together and look how i want.

Spend your money on good protective gear. A well built helmet and boots will last you years. The pants and jersey won't so who cares if they are last years or two years ago closeout models.

• Like 1