help me decide...350exc vs 500exc

ive been riding for 30 yrs.i raced moto on and off for 17 yrs.in the past 6 yrs ive owned a 2000 wr426 street legal,97 dr350 and a 02 xr650l..

i went to the ktm dealer and rode a exc500 with sm wheels and a 350exc.i only got to go up the block.i ride 65%road 35%offroad..for a 400 dollar price diff,what would you do?the offroad i do is kinda tight 25% off the time.the rode riding is to the offroad areas,7-20 miles each way..55-66 mph...im torn

500 and don't look back. For what little dirt you do and no matter how tight, the 500 will do everything the 350 will and surpass the 350 everywhere else in your other 65% areas.

• Like 2

When I bought the 500, the 350 was also an option, but one look at the final gearing ratio, no doubt the 500 . I believe the 350 was like 14/50 and the 500 was like 15/45 , that's all I had to see. That  stock gearing told me the difference between the motors could pull, cause stock gearing is never under geared.

For 65 mph either would work, but the 500 does really good on the street, especially once set up, otd they are very crude.

500 valve adjustments you don't have to touch the timing chain, also a single cam verses two.  500 cam lobes run against a roller bearing, activating pronged rocker arm, 350 lobes hit a hard pivot teeter totter finger which activates the valve, 500 should see less lobe wear with the roller design.

Edited by Spud786
  • Like 1

The 500 will pull highway speed effortlessly, and will work just fine in the tight stuff.  I personally would go 500 based on how much street riding you're doing to be doing.

500 and I own a 350. I am geared 13-52 which is perfect on the trails, but only does 35-40 comfortably. It will go 80+ but not for 20 miles. The 500 can run taller gears and still lug down.

ok,my gut kinda felt like 500 was the way to go.i gotta see if the dealer can get me a non supermoto one.is about 10780 before tax sound right?

under 11,200 tax, title included. 

Or street an xcw , and not have to mess with fueling down the road.  should drop a grand off the price.

Generally if they have to order or locate, negotiation can be difficult. maybe drive a 100 miles if need to.

under 11,200 tax, title included. 

Or street an xcw , and not have to mess with fueling down the road.  should drop a grand off the price.

Generally if they have to order or locate, negotiation can be difficult. maybe drive a 100 miles if need to.

i would love to do that but this commie state i live in has put the brakes on such activities.

does the 500 have a narrow power curve?or will it rev pretty good?i short shifted the test ride..i was "apprehensive" to be on someelses bike.

I was also kind of torn between the 500 and 350. I ended up going 500 and am glad I did. It can cruise nice and easy or if you decide to twist the throttle hard it will make you hang on. Go the 500 for sure.

does the 500 have a narrow power curve?or will it rev pretty good?i short shifted the test ride..i was "apprehensive" to be on someelses bike.

Not sure what motor configs your test ride had, stock motor is choked, and pretty much low end to midrange motor, with lean areas thrown in. with 15/45 stock gearing in 3rd gear , had to clutch it up for a wheelie.

Open it up and fix the fueling, and things change. I can pull 4th gear flip over backwards wheelies at 60 to 70 mph  out of a corner with 15/46 gearing, with throttle only at full throttle with a tug on the bars. 

Course if you only need 70 mph , Im sure you'll gear lower and have no issue with that. I need that post 100 stuff, and easy sustained cruise range around 90 mph.

I dual sport mine, from rocks, to leafy forest trails to light hard pack track and jumps, or single track, to aggressive motard.  But I do run a lot of farm road pavement  to get to those places, its entertaining pavement though, no rubber is wasted with excessive droning.

The 350 will rev.... The 500 will fall on its face above ~8,700/9,000 RPMs and the limiter kicks in shortly there after. Think of the 500 as a tractor... It's at home up to and below about ~8,500 RPMs where it's power curve is.

• Like 1

The 500 is almost electric, with tons of torque right off idle and it's pretty linear all the way up.  It's so smooth that it doesn't feel as fast as it really is.  It does not rev as high as a 450 mx bike, but it has so much torque you don't need it to rev.  If your riding style is on the rev limiter then this isn't the motor for you.  IMHO it runs fine stock, especially if you keep the exhaust stock.  I'm a big fan of quiet exhausts for off-road and the stock exhaust on this one is the best mix of quiet and performance that I've ridden, I doubt you'll find an exhaust this quiet that makes more power.  Mine is completely stock, except for removing the smog parts and tweaking the TPS, and I couldn't use more power in the dirt than the stock motor gives.  My riding is mostly tight eastern off-road and motocross, with the very occasional cruise down a public street.

Edited by sirthumpalot