2012 KTM 300 XC

I'm looking to buy my first dirt bike, coming from the street, and I've settled on either a 250 or 300 XC. I'm not entirely sure where my preferences will go once I start riding but serious MX riding is probably not in the books. I'll likely be mostly on trails and single track, maybe occasional weekend at a track. Just another toy.

The only 250 or 300 XC I've found for a decent price is about 5 hours away. The bike looks clean to me w/ some nice extras, but I'm not sure how well the seller knows bikes. He said he bought it for his son from a doctor that rarely rode it, then his son ditched it once he started driving after several rides (wish my dad was that cool).

https://youngstown.craigslist.org/mcy/5510338507.html

He's come down several hundred $$$ from his listed price and seems eager to sell it, so I could probably get his down even lower. Any red flags? I know what to look for once I'm there w/ the bike, but I would prefer not to drive 5 hours to find out the bike is garbage.

Edited by Sonny112

I think your biggest concern would be overall hours and abuse. Hard to tell if it's had that with out going to see it. It looks fine from the pictures.

I'm looking to buy my first dirt bike, coming from the street, and I've settled on either a 250 or 300 XC. I'm not entirely sure where my preferences will go once I start riding but serious MX riding is probably not in the books. I'll likely be mostly on trails and single track, maybe occasional weekend at a track. Just another toy.

The only 250 or 300 XC I've found for a decent price is about 5 hours away. The bike looks clean to me w/ some nice extras, but I'm not sure how well the seller knows bikes. He said he bought it for his son from a doctor that rarely rode it, then his son ditched it once he started driving after several rides (wish my dad was that cool).

He's come down several hundred $$$ from his listed price and seems eager to sell it, so I could probably get his down even lower. Any red flags? I know what to look for once I'm there w/ the bike, but I would prefer not to drive 5 hours to find out the bike is garbage.

Ask him if those are the original wheels. Wild ass guess; the bike has 70hrs if those are the original wheels. Bars and plastics also look orig which is a good sign. These parts can be swapped out and make the bike hard to read. B&B KTM may also know about the history of the bike. I would pursue the deal and try and find out more from the shop and the seller.

I'm in West Michigan and sold my '12 300XCW last fall for $5,400.  It had 70 hours on it, skid plate, bark busters, TC2 silencer, lithium battery and '14 300 starter.

$5,200 for that bike seems like a good price.

Ask him if those are the original wheels. 

Did you mean original tires?

Did you mean original tires?

Original tires means it's less than 10 hrs. You are welcome to ask that if you like.

If the rims are original, my wild guess stands at 70hrs, so probably not original tires.

Original tires means it's less than 10 hrs. You are welcome to ask that if you like.

If the rims are original, my wild guess stands at 70hrs, so probably not original tires.

You only get 10 hours out of your tires?

You only get 10 hours out of your tires?

The bike in the ad may have 10 hours on the tires. My tires are toast after 3hrs of racing. They will still hold air, obviously, but the edge is long gone, missing a few knobs etc.

That bike wouldn't last a few hours out here on Craigslist for that price.

That is a great bike. I have a 2011. Things I would check....turn the engine over slowly  by hand with the kick starter to feel for compression. You may want to stop by a KTM shop and do this with a new bike for comparison. Check the sprockets for wear. Put on a stand  and spin the wheels and check for trueness. Check for loose spokes. Check for looseness in wheel, steering head, swing arm, and shock mount bearings. Its a older bike, How many hours it has dont matter. You just to make sure it has been maintained. dont let new grips, plastic, and tires fool you. If it has been taken care of, it is one of the best bikes out there. good luck. and BRAAAAAP  ON:!

I've seen that bike on Craigslist for a while now. I'm in ohio as well. I got my 2013 300xc with some nice extras this winter for $4,600. I got it from a vet rider who just bought a 2015 300xc-w. He had the dealer install the hour meter, and had just over 90 hours when I bought it.

I was pretty happy with the deal I got on mine. If you got him to come down a few hundred already, and the bike checks out, I say go for it.

I've seen that bike on Craigslist for a while now. I'm in ohio as well. I got my 2013 300xc with some nice extras this winter for $4,600.

I've noticed how long it's been listed, which doesn't make me feel good about the bike. As well, the guy has said a couple people have already come to look at the bike but low balled him w/ offers of $3800 and $4000. I'm worried those people knew what they were doing, saw something (or a few things) wrong w/ it, and made an offer based on what they knew was wrong and how much it would take to fix it.

He's offered it for slightly less than what you've paid, but his is 1 year older and he (or his son) doesn't seem to be a vet rider.

Edited by Sonny112

I'd say that $5200 is way too high..... I sold my '11 model last year for $4000, and I got top dollar. 

I know a guy who just bought a 2013 KTM 300 XC with a Rekluse and all sorts of extras, for $4600. 

But if you can get him into the low $4k range, go for it!  You'll love the 300 for the woods.

That clutch may be worth $500 by itself, if the wheels are straight and the chain/sprockets good I would offer $4800 firm. 

Great Bike for the woods or slower paced riding. I have an 11'.

I've noticed how long it's been listed, which doesn't make me feel good about the bike. As well, the guy has said a couple people have already come to look at the bike but low balled him w/ offers of $3800 and $4000. I'm worried those people knew what they were doing, saw something (or a few things) wrong w/ it, and made an offer based on what they knew was wrong and how much it would take to fix it.

He's offered it for slightly less than what you've paid, but his is 1 year older and he (or his son) doesn't seem to be a vet rider.

I wouldn't worry too much about how long it has been listed. First, he posted it during the winter, so not not as many people are looking to buy a toy they probably won't be using for several months. Also, newer/ higher priced bikes typically take a little longer to sell. Not as many people can afford them. Bikes in the $1,000 - $1,500 range usually sell in a day or two. He's also asking too much for a 2012, so a lot of people may not even bother making an offer.

If you already have him talked down lower than $4,600 before even looking at it, I think it's definitely worth taking a look. You should be able to tell if it was abused. Good luck man.