2014 KTM 300xc hard to kick.

Ok so I just bought this bike. When I tried to start with the electric start it acted as though the battery was dead, but it started on first kick and seems to run awesome. Very fun bike. I put in a new battery and low and behold, no fricken change. The relay activates and it seems like it wanted to turn over but no. So I ordered and installed a new starter thinking perhaps the starter is bad. NOPE!! Same problem. Then I started thinking about how hard the bike was to kick over. It's much harder than my RM 250, but initially I just thought perhaps it's because it's 13 years newer. I got to thinking about the compression... So I took the spark plug out and tried again. The starter turns over perfectly. So my question is what the hell?? Anybody got any ideas? I reached out to the guy I bought it from to ask if he did any recent top end work, but I can't imagine he would have on such a new bike, (80 hours) but he hasn't responded.

Never had a 300 but I heard cold starting you should always use the kick starter, then when the bike is warm use e-start.

EDIT: internet connection &%$#@!ed up...so double post

Edited by Biff Tannen

So I ordered and installed a new starter thinking perhaps the starter is bad. NOPE!!

:doh:   :thinking:

:smirk:

Better off removing that heavy unreliable starter motor & covering the hole with a blanking plate. My aprilia SX50/RX50 with 78.5cc Airsal bore kit's hard to kick too, can imagine the 300XC would be over 3x harder to fire up.

Thanks guys I know about all the difficulties with the KTM starters and I have watched a bunch of videos on it. It won't turn the bike over even if it is warmed up. Kinda Acts like the motor is seized up, but it's not bike runs awesome when kicked.

Really don't want to remove the starter either. I am not getting any younger and the electric start was a big part of why I chose this bike... Where we ride it can be difficult to kick sometimes on steeper trails etc

Check your compression, see what kind of actual number your getting. Im not real familiar with the KTM but I know the old school 2 strokes could have carbon build up if not ran hard which can drastically increase compression

Check your compression, see what kind of actual number your getting. Im not real familiar with the KTM but I know the old school 2 strokes could have carbon build up if not ran hard which can drastically increase compression

That actually could make sense. The guy I bought it from said it was his wife's bike and it was way too much for her so I could see perhaps her just puttering around on it. From the looks of the rear fender looks like she whiskey throttled it a couple of times and landed on her ass!

Theres a video from jeff slavens top end rebuild and he was talking bout the .2 mm hole in cylinder that aids in starting and can carbon up and make hard to start u mite look into it man just a fyi

Bendix?

My 14 300 isn't very hard to kick. I'd say easier than some of my old 250's. Getting the head milled to raise compression is pretty common and can make the E start not work very well. I think you need to check your compression and the motors are so simple check your squish while you are at it

Sounds like above someone has beefed up the performance (raised the compression). Should be 160ish psi stock.

Theres a video from jeff slavens top end rebuild and he was talking bout the .2 mm hole in cylinder that aids in starting and can carbon up and make hard to start u mite look into it man just a fyi

I would do this and probably just throw a piston in it and clean the powervalve assembly while at it. Easy and cheap and you'll be good for another 100 hours or more when done

Never had a 300 but I heard cold starting you should always use the kick starter, then when the bike is warm use e-start.

YES, always kick it when it's cold. 

The estart on two strokes is technically a "start assist," and it's very helpful when you stall the bike on the side of a hill.  Or take a 5 minute break when your buddy needs it, you just push it alive. 

All those Jap morons who say man I never needed an estart on a two stroke, they're easy to start!! obviously haven't experienced the simplicity of a push button on a smoker. 

The stock battery will not work well when it's cold outside.  They work better as it gets warm.  Buying a lithium battery reduces several pounds of weight, holds  a strong charge for longer, and works awesome in all temps.

Well I charged the battery on the trickle charger over night before riding in Saturday. I only used the kick start for the first couple of starts. After about an hour of riding I was able to successfully and consistently use the e-start and it turned over like there was no problem whatsoever. Thanks for all the advice! But maybe it just needed more warming up than I thought!

Get your self a battery tender..