Anyone know who can flash/remap my ecu?

Just got home from picking up my 500 EXC.

Unfortunately dealer refused to flash my ecu even though 4 of us bought a bike each. Really sucks since on the phone (before signing) he seemed willing to do so.

I decided to go on with the deal since it seems these bikes are so hard to come by.

So anyone knows who offers the service of flashing the ecu. I need 4 bikes done.

Thanks

You might be better off asking around your local trails or asking people in person. Dealers can get in trouble for performing this. People will not post information on the Internet of the few dealers that are still willing to perform this. Never know who reading these posts if you know what I mean

google it I, and it can be done dealer just has you sign that its a closed course bike, but some are scared. 

You might want to be a little more "low profile" when dealing with this kind of question.

He can ask and people can PM him the details, it's all good.

• Like 1

I find it a lack of freedom that your not able to do what you please with your bike. I paid for it and should be able to do what I please with it and obviously accept the consequences.

They might as well weld the emissions permanently on the bike and likewise the fender and signals.

First time I ever hear this bs of a dealer getting in trouble. Pretty much every bike I've owned has been flashed. And it's not even cause of speed, but more so making it run right.

I find it a lack of freedom that your not able to do what you please with your bike. I paid for it and should be able to do what I please with it and obviously accept the consequences.

They might as well weld the emissions permanently on the bike and likewise the fender and signals.

First time I ever hear this bs of a dealer getting in trouble. Pretty much every bike I've owned has been flashed. And it's not even cause of speed, but more so making it run right.

I am with you!! I might not have bought the KTM if I had known all this ahead of time... I still have hope that I can dial mine in without a map but who knows. Not super stoked to pay 10K for a bike and it not run right out of the box. 

Yes, I should have done more research but everything I read was about how good the EXC is. (Should have found thumper talk sooner) 

Edited by dirtdog36

I am with you!! I might not have bought the KTM if I had known all this ahead of time... I still have hope that I can dial mine in without a map but who knows. Not super stoked to pay 10K for a bike and it not run right out of the box.

Yes, I should have done more research but everything I read was about how good the EXC is. (Should have found thumper talk sooner)

The 500 exc runs just fine out of the box and you should never have an issue if leave it stock. It's when you modify the airflow or exhaust that you'll have issues and need to remap. But that's true with pretty much all fuel injected street legal bikes. My brother in law just learned that with his Kawasaki ninja. Not sure where your getting your information from, but you can't believe everything you read.

As for the remap, if you desperately want to do it and can't find someone, buy a new ecu and have it flashed with whatever map you want. Problem is, you are asking someone to break the law to remap and not everyone wants to break the law. But there are plenty of dealers that will, you just have to search around a bit. I found one.

• Like 1

No matter what street legal bike you buy , they all have the same issues from pure street bike to the 500,  the 500 is pretty easy to correct.

Edited by Spud786

Blame the EPA for your frustrations, not KTM. The fact that the bike is so well received indicates that KTM has done a fantastic job working within the constraints of the law.

I was playing around on the internet one Sunday morning so I thought I'd see what happens if I ask this question straight up - but I had to float some bait. So I sent an email inquiry to a big dealer in SoCal from their website expressing interest in a new bike. I stated the sale would be contingent on meeting requirements. When the salesman contacted me he asked what that means..

I said the requirement will be to install the EU map... and that I know some dealers will do it and some won't. He said, let me look into that and I'll get back to you... five months later and I still haven't heard back... ;-)

But to be fair, the dealer can receive a fine if found tampering with emissions... I think somewhere near $40K.

Don't take it personal, the dealer would really need to trust you before doing so...

Four guys, four bikes? Perhaps if the scenario was one guy, four bikes...

Edited by C6DNA

Just the fact you don't know what the consequences are for the dealer must have gave them reason to back away from your request... or more appropriate, four requests.

Do you work for the EPA?

I really don't think it's illegal if the customer is requesting it and used for the sole purpose of off road or closed circuit.

If that were the case you wouldn't have a bunch of place offering ecu flashes all over the Internet.

You can easily get your ecu flashed for any jap and even the sport bike KTM's on anyone of those website. And those guys are not in jail or pay any fines.

Personally I think it's just a matter of the dealer NOT wanting to find a way to cover himself up and offering the service. Once you purchase the bike it is yours, the dealer is no way involved on what you do to the bike later on.

I pretty sure if you ask the dealer to install an exhaust not in compliance with EPA regulations he would have no problem doing it.

Edited by krisnet55

Regardless what really irks me is that the dealer at first insinuated he'd do it. And once I got there after driving 3 hours he said they don't do that.

If he would of been clear from the very beginning I could have decided differently.

Regardless what really irks me is that the dealer at first insinuated he'd do it. And once I got there after driving 3 hours he said they don't do that.

If he would of been clear from the very beginning I could have decided differently.

I agree with you on that note... but this is a fine line, it's not like you can take them to court for breech of contract.

There will never be a contract.. not even a repair order stating the fact.

People are getting around the laws by purchasing replacement parts and installing them..

But let's not tell the government that. Oh wait.. I forgot, there's legislation already being discussed that prevents you from working on your own vehicles.

Talk about loss of freedom..

I pretty sure if you ask the dealer to install an exhaust not in compliance with EPA regulations he would have no problem doing it.

With an exhaust you don't have to connect to Ktm computers and type in a VIN #.

Is there a way of verifying if a dealer did in fact load an EU map? ... other than the sound of silence?

Is there a way of verifying if a dealer did in fact load an EU map? ... other than the sound of silence?

I highly doubt it' since if you buy the program you can do it yourself.

It's no different then installing an exhaust. They still do an invoice and should write your vin on it. "Technically"

Plus I highly doubt it any dealer would do it if it's traceable in any way.

$40k fine and loss of licsence it's not worth the risk for any dealer. Yet still some do it and I highly doubt they willing to risk that much, no matter what relationship you have with the dealer or what you are or spending.

Edited by krisnet55