XR250 Engine Swap...please help!

Hello. I have a 1991 XR250L that a buddy gave me. It had swallowed a valve years ago and he had taken the top end off and misplaced many of the parts. Rather than trying to piece it back together, I purchased a complete 1988 engine on eBay.

The existing engine is a wet sump, and the replacement engine is a dry sump. I didn't think the replacement engine, three years older would be a dry sump, but it is.

My question is: is it possible to use the new dry sump engine in a wet sump (no oil frame). Can I swap the oil pumps?

Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

Thanks for your help.  I thought dry sumps were only in the later years ('96-'04) too, but this did come out of a 1989 XR250.  I have attached a picture of he bike that it came out of, and it is indeed a dry sump '89.  Maybe it had been upgraded to a later model frame or something...I have contacted the seller to verify.

I can look at trying to build an external reservoir for it, but that seems like a pain in the butt.  Is there no way to take the oil pump components off the '91, and put them on the '89, converting it to a wet sump motor?

1989 XR 250.jpg

Yes, sorry!  They are oil cooler ports.  I didnt know there was a difference between dry sump and oil coolers.  Looks like I will have to find an oil cooler and weld some tabs onto the frame to mount it on. 

Yes, DillyP...super clean bike for an '88.  I asked the same question of the seller, but that's what they do...part 'em out.

Thanks for your help everyone.

I ordered an oil cooler off eBay @$95 today...hated to spend more on this bike, but that's what bikes are for right?

Another question: what if I take the clutch cover off the '91 (no oil cooler ports) and put it on the '88 and run without an oil cooler? Seems like it would work, but I don't know what else might be different under there...how the oil needs to circulate

I ordered an oil cooler off eBay @$95 today...hated to spend more on this bike, but that's what bikes are for right?

Another question: what if I take the clutch cover off the '91 (no oil cooler ports) and put it on the '88 and run without an oil cooler? Seems like it would work, but I don't know what else might be different under there...how the oil needs to circulate

A few months ago, someone in this section used the 250R right side cover in his 250L to add the oil cooler. I'd bet you could do the other way around and use your 250L right side cover on the 250R engine to get rid of the oil cooler stuff until you can find the lines and cooler.

• 6 months later...

so my XR250 parts & try2 do project .will a wet sump oil cooler XR250 rfvc single carb engine ,bolt into a dry sump 1998 frame that has the rear engine mount through the swing arm ?I have a 95-96 XLR250 steel tank complete bike & a 1998 dry sump rolling frame.main wish is the plastic tank & the 98 is a tidier bike

Edited by holeworx

Hello. I have a 1991 XR250L that a buddy gave me. It had swallowed a valve years ago and he had taken the top end off and misplaced many of the parts. Rather than trying to piece it back together, I purchased a complete 1988 engine on eBay.

The existing engine is a wet sump, and the replacement engine is a dry sump. I didn't think the replacement engine, three years older would be a dry sump, but it is.

My question is: is it possible to use the new dry sump engine in a wet sump (no oil frame). Can I swap the oil pumps?

Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

I have a spare dry sump frame in my shed that I was going to get rid of. Oil in frame. 1985 xr350. Not sure about the engine mounting but the plastics would match right up to this frame. Pm for more details.

• 1 year later...