Locking up your bikes

Hey guys I was just curious as to how you lock up your bikes. Anything special that you do? Don't live on the greatest side of town and it's always been a worry

Unfortunately for me Vegas aint that rural haha. Most of the time the toys get left at my parents house which is a rural area but sometimes I like to ride some stuff and have to leave them in the garage out here. The garage does have a lock/dead bolt I wouldn't say its impossible to get in though. I also have an alarm on the house so the harder it is to move the bike the longer that thing will be going off

I keep mine in the garage on a stand and use a Kryptonite lock/chain around the support column.

Edited by Thefischerman

There was a thread about this recently... IIRC the consensus was to put your bike in your basement for the best protection. The conspiracy/"watch too many heist film" types contend that someone who knows you have a bike in a building will come to your place with a chainsaw (since people are used to that noise) and just cut walls out of your house/shed/building to steal your bike... obviously crazy talk. 

Before I moved to my current place, I had my toys in a shed in the back yard right by the trails, my neighbor had his toys in his shed right by the trails. We came up with a pretty secure method for securing sheds. I'd be happy to share if your going the shed route. 

EDIT - So youre in vegas... probably no basement and not much reason for a shed, I assume. This also made me think of the most obvious thing that came up in that other thread... just take shit apart. Throw it on a stand, take the wheels off (maybe the seat and battery too) and put them inside the house. Lock the bike to something like a column. If you don't have a column, you could chip out a 1'x1' section of garage floor, leave the existing rebar in place, set an anchor with a bar or two laced in and pour some new concrete. 

Edited by SenorThumpy

There was a thread about this recently... IIRC the consensus was to put your bike in your basement for the best protection. The conspiracy/"watch too many heist film" types contend that someone who knows you have a bike in a building will come to your place with a chainsaw (since people are used to that noise) and just cut walls out of your house/shed/building to steal your bike... obviously crazy talk. 

Before I moved to my current place, I had my toys in a shed in the back yard right by the trails, my neighbor had his toys in his shed right by the trails. We came up with a pretty secure method for securing sheds. I'd be happy to share if your going the shed route. 

EDIT - So youre in vegas... probably no basement and not much reason for a shed, I assume. This also made me think of the most obvious thing that came up in that other thread... just take shit apart. Throw it on a stand, take the wheels off (maybe the seat and battery too) and put them inside the house. Lock the bike to something like a column. If you don't have a column, you could chip out a 1'x1' section of garage floor, leave the existing rebar in place, set an anchor with a bar or two laced in and pour some new concrete. 

A number of years ago thieves stole my cousin's Harley.  They cut the 2 foot thick concrete pole it was chained to.

Sled/bike's insured.  Have photos of tools/etc in my garage for insurance should a loss occur.

Garage door opener's on a switched outlet, lock that and open the switch to cut power to the opener.

The best lock is insurance that not only covers the basic bike but all modifications.

Insurance is great and I think anyone with a new bike should have it but it doesn't prevent someone from taking your bike in the first place. 

A number of years ago thieves stole my cousin's Harley.  They cut the 2 foot thick concrete pole it was chained to.

Everyone seems to have a story about a cousin or a friends or a buddies uncle... Theres no 1 thing that will 100% guarantee your shit wont get stolen. Its a combination of things to reduce the chances of your shit getting stolen. Locks, fences, gates...etc only keep out honest people. However, multiple security precautions will stop the opportunistic snooping thief and deter 95% of focused thieves. Combining multiple security precautions with good insurance and recent photos of your shit is the best anyone can do.

So your cousin... must have really pissed someone off, owed someone money or had the bike chained to a concrete pole in an un-secure place. Most concrete "poles" that are 2' thick are structural columns that contain a shit load of rebar and require specialized equipment to cut...even if it weren't a structural column, you'd need specialized saws, heavy equipment or explosives to get thru 2' of concrete so i'm skeptical of your claim 

Insurance is great and I think anyone with a new bike should have it but it doesn't prevent someone from taking your bike in the first place. 

Everyone seems to have a story about a cousin or a friends or a buddies uncle... Theres no 1 thing that will 100% guarantee your shit wont get stolen. Its a combination of things to reduce the chances of your shit getting stolen. Locks, fences, gates...etc only keep out honest people. However, multiple security precautions will stop the opportunistic snooping thief and deter 95% of focused thieves. Combining multiple security precautions with good insurance and recent photos of your shit is the best anyone can do.

So your cousin... must have really pissed someone off, owed someone money or had the bike chained to a concrete pole in an un-secure place. Most concrete "poles" that are 2' thick are structural columns that contain a shit load of rebar and require specialized equipment to cut...even if it weren't a structural column, you'd need specialized saws, heavy equipment or explosives to get thru 2' of concrete so i'm skeptical of your claim 

It was in a parking garage for his apartment in Chicago back in the 70s.  True story.

Sled/bike's insured.  Have photos of tools/etc in my garage for insurance should a loss occur.

Garage door opener's on a switched outlet, lock that and open the switch to cut power to the opener.

and my shop and my yard has chain in concrete coming up through the floors in two spots, 

a steel door and another double door that locks from the inside,  

and still I lost one to a thief off my moto hauler on Christmas Eve.

GIECO  

It was in a parking garage for his apartment in Chicago back in the 70s.  True story.

Well chicago in the 70s...thats the problem lol! I have a feeling your cousin owed someone money for thieves to have been that determined. 

If a thief wants your bike, he will steal it. Locks, chains, steel doors just slow them down slightly. Insurance guarantees a bike will be there.

• Like 1

Key in ignition inside garage  :jawdrop:  but my room is right next to the garage and you can hear a pin drop through our paper thin walls, Im also up until dawn, so I'll know when someones in there.

Full coverage of course.

How much do you guys usually pay for the insurance? Ya insurance would be my best bet I just wanted to have the precautions of locking up the bike to at least stall them and not make it so easy for them to steal

How much do you guys usually pay for the insurance? Ya insurance would be my best bet I just wanted to have the precautions of locking up the bike to at least stall them and not make it so easy for them to steal

$100/year with a $100 deductible.