Handlebar rise vs. risers

I am wondering if anyone can help me figure out whether or not I can get a handlebar with higher rise, or if it's best to go with risers... I constantly feel like my handle bars are too low. I'm 6'2, basically 6'3 in my mx boots. Any other guys around my height out there, and if so, what kind of set up are you running? I stick to mostly single track, but to do hit our local mx track once a month as well. Any suggestions or tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I would buy high bend bars instead of risers, just so I would have an extra set of bars in the garage. The likelihood of bending the bars is quite low, but you have a back-up just in case.

I use the pro taper "woods high" and really like the bend. While I'm under 6ft, I'm all upper body (stubby legs), so from a seated position we are likely around the same height.

My best advice, however, see if other riders will let you try their setup....even if they don't want to let you ride it, just sitting on it will give you a feel for the cockpit position.

Best of luck :ride:

Awesome, thanks for the tip on th pro tapers, I'm going check those out! Appreciate the feedback!

I am your exact height I ride woods and have found the pro taper fmx bend suits me well I have long legs so when I stand I am way up those bars feel better than any thing else I have ridden with.

I had the same issue and I ended up buying renthal twinwall cr high bend. Money well spent!

With my KTM's I get the enduro engineering set of three risers and raise the bars until they feel good. 6'1 with bad shoulders.

Heres a LINK to just about all the handlebar dimensions you can think of. 

I've always gone with protaper contours. Tons of bends to choose from and i've crashed pretty hard with them over the years and they're tough bars. My go to is CR High Bend but there are a few taller bends than that. Put your bike on a stand, swing the bars down out of the way, get in the attack position and put your hands where they feel most comfortable, have someone take a couple measurements from the clamps and you'll have a general idea of what size bars you'd want. 

If your bike came with 7/8" bars, you'll have to buy adapters (like this) to fit 1-/18" bars. Those give you another 3/4" over the height of the bars

Any one here try some pro taper evo windham?

I'm 6'2 as well and heard good things about them I'm in the same situation as you Canadian

Thanks for that awesome tip senor, I'm gonna try that tomorrow!

I'll let you know what I find David.

I and a lot of other people seem like teh RC high bend. It's 20mm over the regular renthal 971's so if your bike came with the 971's you can get some 3/4" risers and it will be within a couple mm of the RC high's.

If you're gonna buy oversized bars I'd go with renthal simply because the fatbars are a full mm thicker (not sure about the 7/8") than the pro tapers and renthal is made in england while pro taper switched to china.

Edited by problem_child

Stupid question here cause it's early and I just woke up but what size bars come stock on the 2016 Crf250r? I know they are renthals but are they 7/8?

Edited by Davidsummers

Stupid question here cause it's early and I just woke up but what size bars come stock on the 2016 Crf250r? I know they are renthals but are they 7/8?

Pretty sure they are the 971/RC bend

Edited by problem_child

Moose mini if you ride tight trails tall and about 29" wide I run a 3/4" riser under mine too very comfortable upright position and not hunched over while standing

I have risers and high bend. Being comfy is the bast way to pick up speed.

Any one here try some pro taper evo windham?

I'm 6'2 as well and heard good things about them I'm in the same situation as you Canadian

used them on my KTM, they were very comfortable.  Thinking of getting them for my Husky too.

Edited by Rooster72

I would buy high bend bars instead of risers, just so I would have an extra set of bars in the garage. The likelihood of bending the bars is quite low, but you have a back-up just in case.

I use the pro taper "woods high" and really like the bend. While I'm under 6ft, I'm all upper body (stubby legs), so from a seated position we are likely around the same height.

My best advice, however, see if other riders will let you try their setup....even if they don't want to let you ride it, just sitting on it will give you a feel for the cockpit position.

Best of luck :ride:

How much higher is a woods high than a CR high? I've been considering trying risers.