Brand new 2016 Exc500 - questions

Ok guys. I have a brand new 2016 KTM EXC 500. Got it last Saturday and have only been able to take short spins on it. Less than 20 miles on it.

Seeing as I have an 8 month old in the house and a wife with a torn ACL, I have little time to dig into all of the threads, so I am attempting to consolidate info here.

It instantly starts spitting coolant at any redlight or sitting in the dive. That led me to ask a question on IG. Cowtown Thumpers and Dirt Hammers steered me here. This spitting coolant makes me super nervous...

Set up a new EXC:

1.     Change the TPS – Am going to order the tool referenced in the other threads. I am keeping stock muffler with screen. What should I set TPS to? 64?

a.     I am going on a two week trip to Colorado and will be at altitude. Will this cause me to need to reset the TPS at another setting?

b.     Pull the screen out of muffler – what does that do

2.     Change the mapping to the EU map. – Can any KTM dealer do this? – I am getting the feeling that this is the best thing to do yet the hardest to get done..??

3.     Should I add the extra fan on the radiator? I will be riding 50/50 Asphalt / Dirt so I will frequently be in some minor traffic and slow single track

4.     Desmog – what is this? What does it do? Will it help the lean issue? – I live in TN and the bike does not have to go through emissions testing so I feel I have the flexibility to do what needs to be done to make the bike run better

5.     Dealer mentioned something about a sensor that will turn my radiator fan on sooner--- ever heard of this?

6.     The coolant that leaks is clear. There was some on my garage floor and it was not green. What coolant should I use? I saw where someone said that using plain old Prestone would help the cooling issue  

7.     What did I leave out??

Super afraid of burning up a brand new bike and this spitting coolant just makes me nervous

I am a moron, so speak to me like you are speaking to a 5 year old J

Thanks 

Dirt Dog 

The bike comes from the factory over filled. Dealer ran it for 10 min. And it spit everywhere. No issues since and the coolest is now at the correct level. Desmond will help with everything but the tps will be the final fix for lean and backfiring.

• Like 1

1. Yes... .64 is a good can't go wrong start.

1a. No.

1b. not much, but will make it slightly louder and slightly less choked up. Not everyone takes it out, but most do.

2. It's taboo in many states, but recommended by KTM when aftermarket exhaust is installed. Also done by some dealers with stock exhaust if bike runs too hot. Not required and nothing to over think at this point and time. Plenty of time later after you get some seat time and get to know the bike.

3. no.

4. google up desmogging 500 EXC and you'll get several hits. Bottom line, it will aid in suppressing some of the popping. Might not cure it all, but will cure most, especially when combined with a fatter TPS setting. If you prefer, go to this thread

http://www.thumpertalk.com/index.php?/topic/1160263-One-mans-%2716-500-6-days-build

and look at post's #84, #85, and #88 for the factory desmog nuts/bolts and part numbers and pictures on what to do.

5. yes. The sensor is on the lower right side of the radiator and there's two wires plugged into it. If the bike is hot, and spitting fluid, and the fan does not come on you can test it. Pull the wires and run a jumper across both wires with the ignition key on. If the fan comes on when jumped but not when plugged in and bike sitting idle and spitting fluid, the sensor is bad. Take it back to the dealer as its under warranty. They area high fail item on these bikes.

6. use whatever meets specs for the bike. I use Engine Ice as its already premixed.

7. approximately 327 more questions to go and lots of fun! Oh yeah, and be sure to get the factory oil out of it around the 1hr mark. Don't ride it like a moped but don't ride it like an mx bike yet either... somewhere in-between will break it in nice.

Don't fret over the coolant yet. With the bike idling for several minutes it should start to spit coolant and then the fan should kick on soon after if there's too much fluid in it. It will seek its own level eventually. If you can't get the bike's fan to come on automatically with it sitting and idling, and can jump the wires and get the fan to come on, replace the sensor.

Enjoy.

Edited by oldfuddy
  • Like 2

Thanks Fuddy 

Yes fan does come on. They just mentioned getting it to come on earlier. I will keep taking short easy rides and see if coolant issue settles out. Already have the oil ready to drop current oil when ready. Dealer said 200 miles.... you say 1 hour. 1 hour seems reasonable to me. 200 miles seemed long...

So basically we can fix this lean/hot issue with just the TPS? No need for the map?

Anything special I need to do going to altitude?

Thanks

DCD

Dealer is probably thinking street bikes... EXC considered a dirt bike by KTM and all service intervals are by hours (except for a few that are annually), not miles.

Check out the "one-time intervals" on page 40 of the owners manual. It will state change the oil after 1hr. It's a good idea to get the oil out around 1hr but don't get too wrapped around the axle if you go a little more, especially if riding and having fun. It will also say check the valve clearence after 1 hr, this you can heed or skip. I don't know anyone that had to shim their valves after the first hour. If you are changing the oil yourself, be sure to document hours, miles, date, and keep all reciepts to help defend your 6-month warrenty should something go wrong.

If you have a lean/hot issue then you can think about remapping. But you'll need more time to figure that out. For many, a desmog, pull the screen, and tps adjustment is all that's needed. Others prefer the cooler running a map provides. Your call. But get some seat time first to see what's right for you.

No, nothing to worry about with altitude. My bud did 13k' in CO for 5-days without a hiccup.

Edited by oldfuddy

I personally prefer the screen still in the exhaust.  The quieter you are, the less people complain and the more we can ride!  Plus IMHO it makes plenty of power for the dirt with the screen still in.  Ride it for a while with the screen and see how you like it.  :)  I have the screen in, stock ECU and tweaked the TPS and it has never over heated on me, even in the super tight twisty woods with sugar sand.  I'm in S. Florida where it's hot and humid. The fan does run, but that's what it's for. 

Edited by sirthumpalot

Number 5:

The antifreeze IS green, but it is a very light green.  I panicked on my first 500 as well, and thought that it was just water in there.  After I drained it, I found out that it was more or less the normal green color.  Maybe a little bit lighter, but not much...

Number 5:

The antifreeze IS green, but it is a very light green.  I panicked on my first 500 as well, and thought that it was just water in there.  After I drained it, I found out that it was more or less the normal green color.  Maybe a little bit lighter, but not much...

My stock coolant was orange , they must have 3 different types out there.

200 miles seemed long...

Thanks

DCD

I broke my bike in on the street , was thinking to do my normal 300 miles for street break in, and then dump for first change.

At 60 miles I had one hour on the motor, decided to go ahead and do the dump. Totally shocked at how bad it was, very nasty, the second change had 200 miles(better but still pretty nasty then 300, 600  ect, . I was well over a 1000 miles before doing a 10 to 15 hour change. Even 15,000 plus miles later, any offroad , normally cuts down that 15 hour interval. Street only 15 to 17 hours, offoad mix 11 - 13 hours average. But the 15 hour gate seems about right for schedule.

I wouldn't even go a full hour (offroad only) on the first change ,  I don't like cold or mildly warmed oil dumps, I like them done full hot after a normal long ride.

I skipped the filter change on the first dump , did it on the second dump

Edited by Spud786

For added piece of mind you can install a coolant tank reservoir for when the coolant expands in hot/technical sections.

My stock coolant was orange , they must have 3 different types out there.

The stock coolant on my '16 FE 501s was orange. Just finished changing it out to Engine Ice since I had already done that to the 350. Only wanted to deal with 1 coolant type.....

The stock coolant on my '16 FE 501s was orange. Just finished changing it out to Engine Ice since I had already done that to the 350. Only wanted to deal with 1 coolant type.....

My 16 500 exc also has orange/reddish colored coolant.

Got it last Saturday and have only been able to take short spins on it. Less than 20 miles on it.

I will keep taking short easy rides and see if coolant issue settles out.

You have received good feedback regarding your coolant issue.

My concern from reading your posts is that maybe your not breaking the engine in properly...("I will keep taking short easy rides and see if coolant issue settles out".) 

In order to seat the rings properly it is very important you work the engine hard under load for brief periods of time during the first few hours.  This puts high pressure on the rings themselves and helps them seat properly within the cylinder.  Failure to accomplish this can lead to some lasting and potentially meaningful problems.  You may already be doing this (running the engine hard periodically)... but if your not....you should be....its important.

Edited by travertt

You have received good feedback regarding your coolant issue.

My concern from reading your posts is that maybe your not breaking the engine in properly...("I will keep taking short easy rides and see if coolant issue settles out".) 

In order to seat the valves properly it is very important you work the engine hard under load for brief periods of time during the first few hours.  This puts high pressure on the rings themselves and helps them seat properly within the cylinder.  Failure to accomplish this can lead to some lasting and potentially meaningful problems.  You may already be doing this (running the engine hard periodically)... but if your not....you should be....its important.

Thanks Travertt

Yeah the 8month old baby and the wife on crutches are slowing me down!!! I have been using it to run to Walgreens and pick up meds for the baby or run quick errands. 

Good advice. I will be able to get in a good 30-40 minute ride or two this weekend. Also the whole coolant thing just made me sketched out.

Thanks

DCD

Thanks SirThump, Spud and everyone else for helping ease my nerves

Once the coolant issue settles down and the TPS is set, how will I know if I am running too hot or too lean? I don't think there is an over heat alert or icon on the dash...

My Ducati, I picked up and it ran fine and when I need something the dash tells me... getting back into dirt bikes after being off for 20+ years as me out of my depths... I was on two strokes then. Mix gas, ride, clean filter, change oil and repeat...

Don't want to grenade a 10K four stroke engine!!

If it steams and blows coolant and steam out the overflow then you're too hot! Anything short of steam then you're not overheating. :) it is normal for some coolant to come out the overflow the first time it gets hot after topping off the radiator.

Edited by sirthumpalot

To judge lean or rich by seat of the pants.... The tps should get rid of the vast majority of the deceleration pop. If you throttle has a bit of bog or hesitation you went a little too rich. The sweet spot will have occasional pop and no hesitation. Also, if you chop the throttle instantly off and the bike dies or sputtered you are too rich.

• Like 1

I wouldn't set the TPS to .64 if you get the euro map, it will be too rich then. I've found this out with my 2015 500exc. I'm currently running .602.

Desmog will make your bike leaner not richer and yes I would do it, provided you do the euro map and remove the restrictive end cap on the muffler.

I never needed an extra radiator fan on mine, been through lots of slow technical single track and plenty of pavement. My radiator fan (stock) is really loud and moves a lot of air.

When you desmog and euro map your bike will run a lot cooler. It was very noticeable for me when I would ride it around town in street clothes, couldn't really tell when in riding gear out doing real riding.

The stock coolant on my '16 FE 501s was orange. ...

My 16 500 exc also has orange/reddish colored coolant.

My bad.  I was thinking about my '14, which was green...

My bad. I was thinking about my '14, which was green...

Yea, my '14 350EXC's was green as well.