KTM 200XCW Leaky Clutch Gasket

Hello,

Recently I have encountered a problem with my 2009 KTM 200XCW. The problem is that when the bike warms up the clutch cover gasket begins to leak oil. At first I replaced the gasket however that did nothing. I then researched and found that if the vent lines get clogged it can cause excess pressure that can displace the gasket. The only problem that I am having is finding the vent line that I am supposed to clean. So far I blew out the vent line that is on the the left side of the jug (sitting on bike left side). I did this at the gasket still leaks oil. So my main question is... IS there another vent line that I am missing and that should be blown out/unclogged? Any help would be greatly appreciated and if more info is needed just ask. Thanks in advance.

that's the correct line, maybe it is plugged in the elbow?? It unscrews from the cyl. The other possible and more likely cause is just the gasket is bad. It is not uncommon for it to leak here near the kick start area. If that's it there are several fixes. Some are: a new gasket, glue the gasket on, dimple the alum case with a punch to give the gasket something to grip, a thicker gasket like the one made by Rekluse-if they still make it.

that's the correct line, maybe it is plugged in the elbow?? It unscrews from the cyl. The other possible and more likely cause is just the gasket is bad. It is not uncommon for it to leak here near the kick start area. If that's it there are several fixes. Some are: a new gasket, glue the gasket on, dimple the alum case with a punch to give the gasket something to grip, a thicker gasket like the one made by Rekluse-if they still make it.

Mike thank you very much for your help. I blew the elbow out then reattached it to the jug and then I put the line in cup of water. I then started the bike to see if a stream of bubbles would blow out of the water however nothing happened. So I am wondering if  the problem could be more internal. Also the gasket is not leaking from near the kickstarter however it is leaking more towards the front of the bike near the waterpump. If you had any other thoughts that would be great. Also if anyone would happen to have a link  to where I culd buy a thick Rekluse gasket that would be great. Thanks a ton for you help once again it is greatly appreciated.

Edited by JFKTM200

You could put some case sealant in the affected area. May need to lightly face the cover , I use wet dry sand paper on a flat surface.

Perhaps you can brag about your 200's mechanical problems in the 200 Club page.... LoL

Make sure the slot where the new gasket fits is cleaned out thoroughly with carb cleaner.  The new gasket should seal it just fine, especially if you cleaned out the vent line.

How long did you have the bike before it started leaking?

when it first started had you had the case off just prior to that? Maybe warped when bolting it back on at that time?

Did you maybe hit a rock or something causing a warp or damage?

Just thinking of all the things it could be.

How long did you have the bike before it started leaking?

when it first started had you had the case off just prior to that? Maybe warped when bolting it back on at that time?

Did you maybe hit a rock or something causing a warp or damage?

Just thinking of all the things it could be.

I have had the bike for over a year and it has been fine. The only thing that happened was my clutch went during a race and the bike got very hot. I have not had the case off in months. My last question is, IS the vent on the left side of the jug is the only vent? I would just like to know that I cleaned out the correct vent. Thanks for everyones help it is greatly appreciated. 

I had this issue before. Went through a few stock gaskets. Problem solved with a cometic gasket that has a metal core coated in rubber stuff.

• Like 1

I had this issue before. Went through a few stock gaskets. Problem solved with a cometic gasket that has a metal core coated in rubber stuff.

Thank you I will try this for sure

Just wanted to give a follow up post and say that I used new gasket and cover along with permatex gasket sealant and everything seems to be working fine and no leaks. Thanks for everyones help.

• Like 1