Advice needed DRZ400E 2002 Engine

Funny that I should be posting this, as this is where my obsession all began.  The first bike I bought and fixed and rode and sold...was a DRZ400s, so I am a bit familiar with them.  A friend has an 02 400e kick and electric start.  It was blowing oil and generally not running right  when parked.  Someone took the valve cover off and lost about $200 in random pieces body bolts etc  I carefully turned it over with the kick starter which it did with little effort, and no strange noises or binding.

What should I do first

pull the motor and tear it down, or

replace missing valve cover change the oil put gas in it and see if it runs? 

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Jamie

Beautiful isnt she... He wants to try and get it going on the cheap unfourtunatly I dont think this can be done for under $1000  probably end up more like 1500 to 2000

P4200001.JPG

Get a vave cover off of ebay, check the valve lash, change the oil do a compression test or better yet a leakdown test. $50.00 or less to find out if its worth the time.

I was just getting ready to check valves and the head bolts are loose I think the guy who worked on it before was going to pull the head and got scared, the cam chain has at least one broken link. still has auto chain tensioner probably what casued the issue to begin with.

My bike was in a box and 3 5 gallon buckets when I found it. Didn't cost me anything but time and oil to get the motor running. Had it 6 years now. Of course I got the bug and that's a whole different bank account.

Time to pull the motor out. You won't know what you're up against until you get the cylinder off. Maybe a big bore kit is in order?!

I'd suggest pulling the top end and both side covers and take a look around.  Those steps should tell you a lot about what's needed.

Beautiful isnt she... He wants to try and get it going on the cheap unfourtunatly I dont think this can be done for under $1000  probably end up more like 1500 to 2000

A new cylinder/piston and head job alone will be close to $1000 all by itself.

Finally got around to digging deep, pulled it apart and found nothing obvious except the cam chain has  afew broken links and adjuster was fully extended.  valves dont look to be bad, but deffinatly need cleaned up possible lapped in .  (I am open to opinions and sugesstions)  cylinder looks good lots of carbon.  Let me know what you all think.

drz400garagesale 005.JPG

drz400garagesale 008.JPG

drz400garagesale 009.JPG

i would not spend any money on that bike,  JMO. 

not my bike not my money, looking closer intake valve is worn, as it sits It will cost about $900 to get it  running again. this includes alot of missing broken parts wear items etc,  recut valve seats new valves, replace timing chain, guides.  Keep in mind I charge about half of what a normal shop charges for labor.  

not my bike not my money, looking closer intake valve is worn, as it sits It will cost about $900 to get it  running again. this includes alot of missing broken parts wear items etc,  recut valve seats new valves, replace timing chain, guides.  Keep in mind I charge about half of what a normal shop charges for labor.  

I would be doing a cost estimate first, add on 50%, pass it on to the owner and get the money up front.

Too many people like the idea of fixing a basket case but balk when they realise the cost.

This is a friend's bike I have rebuilt engines for him and do all his annual service work on the farm quads.

Parts are piling up but I have run into a problem I cannot seem to find a decompression lever I have the plunger but no lever that mounts to the head, I can find that part online but not the bolt and spring that go over the plunger any ideas?

almost no-one uses or installs the decomp lever. They came on the kick start only bikes, but when installing a kick starter on the E-start bikes they are typically left un-installed. 

Also, i see you mentioned re-cutting valve seats, which is good since these valves should never be lapped, they will quickly go bad. 

Personally I would walk away from this project, too much time sunk on a relatively cheap bike. 

is there some sort of block off plate for the decompression hole?  this is a 400e with both electric and kick start there is a lever on the bars so I can only assume it had the lever on the head. it has a plug but you can pull it out with little effort.   I guess your definition of cheap and mine are different, the only drz400 anywhere near me is $3500 I have about 4 hours and 500 dollars in parts in this and I am optimistic its going to go together and run again.  Head cleaned up good no damage to seats just some carbon build up new stainless steel valves ill put it together and test if it needs cut ill pull it apart again. and BTW most people dont install the decompression lever because there is no where for it to go on an electric start only bike like the sm or s models.

P5100001.JPG

Edited by HntWhtTail

engine is back together and it started on the 3rd good kick.  A few problems:

electric start not working.

seems to be running really hot, it melted the vent lines from the carb 

I didnt look to far into the e start, as for the ruinning hot not sure what thats all about any ideas?

side note to this point just crossed the $1000 mark 11 hours,  $600 in parts and supplies

heres a video of it ideling just because

engine is back together and it started on the 3rd good kick.  A few problems:

electric start not working.

seems to be running really hot, it melted the vent lines from the carb 

I didnt look to far into the e start, as for the ruinning hot not sure what thats all about any ideas?

side note to this point just crossed the $1000 mark 11 hours,  $600 in parts and supplies

heres a video of it ideling just because

You are a gentleman and a scholar...

The bike may have been better suited to parting out. Kudos for getting it running.

You are a gentleman and a scholar...

The bike may have been better suited to parting out. Kudos for getting it running.

Dem boys from Montana don't know the word "quit".......

It does look like P.O.S. now, but I bet when he's done it won't. :D

Dem boys from Montana don't know the word "quit".......

It does look like P.O.S. now, but I bet when he's done it won't. :D

lol :thumbsup:

Actually it will probably still look like a piece, but it will run like a champ!  Needs alot of little stuff to make it pretty again 

grips plastics seat cover levers fork boots etc