crf230 flywheel play

My kids 04 230f started making noise recently kind of a knocking noise. When started and at idle its good but if I blip the throttle the noise starts when it returns to idle and doesn't go away until its shut off again. I was certain it was the cam chain, Sliders or tensioner so I started tearing it down. The front cam guide has a wear groove in it and when at TDC the marks don't line up so I would think stretched timing chain. Just because I grabbed the flywheel and it has some up and down play. Read a few threads and found others had some up and down play in the flywheel also and said it was somewhat normal on this bike. Hard to believe that would be normal but question is could this be the source of the knock?

IMO:

With good dial indicator placed on the non threaded part of the crankshaft very near the bearing, any less than .002 would be considered good.

This is assuming the outer bearing race is tight and secure in the cases and the inner race is tight and secure on the crankshaft.

Edited by adnohguy

IMO:

With good dial indicator placed on the non threaded part of the crankshaft very near the bearing, any less than .002 would be considered good.

This is assuming the outer bearing race is tight and secure in the cases and the inner race is tight and secure on the crankshaft.

Hey thanks. Don't have access to a dial indicator unfortunately. Not huge miles on this bike so its hard to believe it would be a crank bearing but could be I guess. I will know more when I get the top end apart.

Thought id throw this out there. The rear axel worked perfect for a flywheel puller. Screwed the axel in till hand tight then gave it a quick shot with my air impact and it popped right off.

• Like 1