Just got some 1 1/8" turner bar mounts put on my bike and there is a decently sized gap (1/8" maybe) between where the two halves join with my fatbars in. They sit flush without the bars but with bars the gap is there, and it is bugging me.

Would this bother you?

I slightly disagree. Slight, even gap front and back, keeping the top of the clamp square to the bottom of the clamp. The gap does not have to be exactly the same but close by eye.

You never want to upper and lower to touch. You want all the clamping force to go from the upper, through the bar and to the bottom clamp.

I slightly disagree. Slight, even gap front and back, keeping the top of the clamp square to the bottom of the clamp. The gap does not have to be exactly the same but close by eye.

You never want to upper and lower to touch. You want all the clamping force to go from the upper, through the bar and to the bottom clamp.

+1

Damn you William1 for making me try to find where I got this info :)

So this is specific for my CRF250R but IMO is applicable for most dirt bikes and handle bar sizes.

The full service manual is not specific about the gap but it agrees with my Clymer for tightening procedure

In my Clymer, Tighten the front first then the rears to spec with a torque wrench then check to ensure that the gap is at the rear.

So mine slightly touches both sides at the front then a small equal gap at the back but I'm open to suggestions and as always interesting where these topics go.

Edited by filterx

Yeah, bar clamps are a pain to get even.I put one bolt in, tighten slightly, put the back bolt in, tighten slightly, then alternate front to back, a little at a t time, keeping the gap as even as I can by eye. Not super critical but you do not want any bar clamp to bar clamp contact. In some cases, you can feel it is cocked one direction or the other as the threads are no longer passing straight through the upper clamp but the bolt is going through the hole slightly cocked and that will make it harder to turn. You can also sometimes see grooves or marks from the bolts when the clamp is removed.

Sometimes, there will be a spec, like 2MM, so you can tighten one side leaving a 2MM gap and when you tighten the other, you should also have a 2MM gap.