xr250r big bore vs xr400r

Hey guys, LONG TIME lurker, first time poster. So some background about my bike; it's a 2000 xr250. I purchased it used in 01 when I was 13, it had 11 miles on the clock and I gave $2200 for it. It was my first "big bike". I have always maintained it religiously and it still wears factory plastics. I always kept count of my tripmeter, and the bike had 7562 miles on it when the thing mysteriously quit working 3 years ago (probably close to 8500 now). Only repairs I've made were rebuilt forks, and new shock about 3 years ago. I'm 5'11", 235 and I've never felt underpowered until last week. I hit a healthy hill that ive climed 100's of times, in 2nd like always, and it bogged down and stalled out on me. (I waited too long to down shift, although I never had to before) now I've gained about 40lbs since I was 13, but still never felt underpowered. Before I ask, I have NO INTEREST WHATSOEVER IN A CRF. I have dozens of hours on 450r, 250r, and 250x's, and don't care for them. Now, I'm wondering should I throw a 280 kit in my 250, or start looking for an xr400r? I've ridden a 400 some, but it was years ago. What's the power difference between a xr280 and an xr400r? Do you lose alot of torque with a big bore? My riding style evolves alot of tractoring, lugging ect. I ride with a 13 crf450r, 08 yzf450, 04 wr250, and an unknown year (85-86) kx125. I have no trouble keeping up to speed where we ride (there's only so fast you can go) but they do smoke me on a fire road, field, ect. I'm not worried about drag racing, just being able to haul my fat ass around lol. Also, there is NOTHING wrong with engine now. Sorry for the long post, but any input would be appreciated.

I say 280 kit, and if it still not enough ,it should be worth more when you sell it anyway. Never ridden a 250 but my stock 400 works great, I'm 240 and never felt I needed more on the trails.

I have an 03 XR250R with a Wiseco 277 kit and an 02 XR400R.  Both have Gordon's mods.  The 277 is by far the more fun bike to ride.  The 400 is heavier and carries a lot of that weight up high due to the bigger cylinder, it rarely gets ridden.  The 277 kit added a bunch of bottom end and some top end power as well.  After going with the big bore, my middle son who owns a CRF450R rode it and his comment was, "this thing rips".  All in all for blasting trails the big bore 250 is a lot less work and a lot more fun to ride than the 400.

• Like 1

I have an 03 XR250R with a Wiseco 277 kit and an 02 XR400R. Both have Gordon's mods. The 277 is by far the more fun bike to ride. The 400 is heavier and carries a lot of that weight up high due to the bigger cylinder, it rarely gets ridden. The 277 kit added a bunch of bottom end and some top end power as well. After going with the big bore, my middle son who owns a CRF450R rode it and his comment was, "this thing rips". All in all for blasting trails the big bore 250 is a lot less work and a lot more fun to ride than the 400.

Did you change cams? Or just piston?

Did you change cams? Or just piston?

Piston and installed new valves.  The hotter cams in those things are very hard on the rest of the valve train.

Or how about going to a 12t front sprocket? I'm still rockin the 13/48 and factory chain (a testament to bel ray chain lube). How much would a regear help me out?

I​ know you said nothing is wrong with the engine, but...  have you checked the valve clearance?  The motor may be getting tired.  That's a lot of miles on a dirt bike, although some go further.

Always keep my valves adjusted. I really have always maintained it well. It is probably getting tired, but I think I'm going to go with a 277 kit or 280 when it just goes kaput. I'm constantly changing parts on my trans am to go faster, but never felt the urge on the old xr. The few parts I've changed were out of necessity, except for the pipe, it was just free.

Or how about going to a 12t front sprocket? I'm still rockin the 13/48 and factory chain (a testament to bel ray chain lube). How much would a regear help me out?

I went against what most people were telling me and did this for our type of east coast mountanous terrain and i consider it necessary.  I would immediately go down 1 up front for $12 quick fix and then go from there.  It keeps you in the rpm's so much better and gearing down did exactly what i was wanting it to do.

Edited by SRTracing

I went against what most people were telling me and did this for our type of east coast mountanous terrain and i consider it necessary. I would immediately go down 1 up front for $12 quick fix and then go from there. It keeps you in the rpm's so much better and gearing down did exactly what i was wanting it to do.

Cool beans. I'll give that a whirl for $12. I hate to trade bikes cause this one has such sentimental value, also I hate to throw in a big bore cause that's not a good selling point to ppl around here. I know I'm contradicting myself lol

Pros like Dwight Rudder will tell you the ~280 isn't worth it, go with the 300.  But, not wanting to deal with boring out the cases, etc., I went with the 277 kit and am happy with the improvement.  One caution, big bores do run hotter due to less material in the cylinder sleeve and higher compression.

Nah 300 is not my cup of tea. New sleeve, rod ect... No thanks. I love my xr because I have the up most faith in it.

Yeh a big bore wouldnt help a sell around here.  I just got my 04 with less than 6 hours on it in february.  I was looking for one since 2014 after deciding the best bike for me is the xr250r with my 4 previous bikes being hooked up KTM 2013 350XCF, 2012 250XC, 07 RM250, 09 200XC and ive owned a bike that can go in every category besides 500 2T.  I will keep this XR250 forever and right now it is all stock besides protection and 12 tooth front. I havent done the airbox mod or messed with exhaust because my plan of keeping it quiet to jump on back roads to expore side trails ive seen for 20 years has worked better than planned and I am always discovering more.  I raced it against the big boy 450s & 250 2t and proved it can win as long as you dont give 7 guys behind you 13 minutes to pass 3/4 into the race while getting your bike unstuck and started. Im sure youve been thru quite a few rear tires but this goes out to all, i would NEVER put anything wider than a 100mm on there.  I hate to say it but feeling how much the new wider tire caused the xr to struggle I was pretty upset and she went down a peg or 2 and had me thinking, "wow,  just because of a measely extra 10mm you are going to act like the weak little B$$tch everyone thinks you are while me and my TT buddys are always sticking up for you and trying to prove them wrong???"   I realized and admitted it was my fault. I was asking too much and need to stick with the manual reccomendations and we have been good ever since.

The main reason i went with an xr was because of reliability and the maintenence consisting of making sure air is in the tires. I am going to start a post asking the guys who were stock and went up in displacement  to give some input on maintenence 

Edited by SRTracing

Maintenance is my concern too. I never thought about the tire. I've got a 130 on there now (free) it's getting worn, I might need to go back to a 100.

Edited by dillyp

Maintenance is my concern too. I never thought about the tire. I've got a 130 on there now (free) it's getting worn, I might need to go back to a 100.

from a decent stock 100 tire to a 110 kenda wash 2 with very tall knobs killed the power and fun factor. It is wild how much of a difference it made

So after the first ride of the year, 5hrs 125 miles of the roughest, tightest, unmanicured single track the NC mountains have to offer, I have to admit, the old 250 held up to its old expectations. The new whizbang, ripsnorting rockets my friends call bikes kept stalling, over heating... the usual. My xr250r kept chugging along. I really don't think I need any more power. (Until it blows up)

I'm guessing the wider tire also has a larger diameter changing the overall fear ratio.

from a decent stock 100 tire to a 110 kenda wash 2 with very tall knobs killed the power and fun factor. It is wild how much of a difference it made

My 110 Kenda Parker DT has probably the tallest knobs of any tire out there.  I noticed no difference in performance other than the tire hooks up fantastic.

DSCF6880_zpse5gd92g4.jpg