2000 XR650R Time for new tires

I have raced, and ridden dirt bikes most of my life, but I am new to the XR650R. I am in need of new tires for my beast, and I have been looking at Motoz tires. DOT knobby's and either the desert tires, or the mountain tires.

I ride hard pack dirt roads about 50 miles one way to work each day. There is some loose dirt, or gravel on top of the hard pack and occasionally some loamy dirt but this is rare.

I have used Dunlop 606 tires on my Wr450F set up for street or trail, and these tires did fairly well, good traction and they seemed to last.

Can anyone out there in Thumper Land help with my tire decision?

Thank you

All I've run on my pig are the D606's. While I do think they work well and can corner like a champ on dry pavement, their life in my case is about a 1000 miles on the rear. This is a mix of on and off road and usually ride it as hard as i can. I've never had a front that wore well. I've been looking for a replacement myself, even maybe sacrificing some traction off road, for a little more longevity. Maybe you would be better off with all the dirt miles you do?

For longer trips I've had good luck with a pireli mt21 front 90/90 and a kenda 270 rear. The key to making the kenda work well is 11, 12 psi in the rear for dirt, pump up for lots of street around 18 psi. U can get by at 15 for both. The kenda is much more secure feeling on street, twisities. Much cheaper too.

Unfortunately, best all around tire I've found is the d606 if you don't want to monkey around with pressure, tho it too performs best when u do.

Maxxis Desert IT rear and Maxxis standard IT front is the best combo yet for me.  Really good in the conditions you describe and surprisingly grippy on pavement as well.  They are not DOT approved though.  Not a big deal where I am...

I have raced, and ridden dirt bikes most of my life, but I am new to the XR650R. I am in need of new tires for my beast, and I have been looking at Motoz tires. DOT knobby's and either the desert tires, or the mountain tires.

I ride hard pack dirt roads about 50 miles one way to work each day. There is some loose dirt, or gravel on top of the hard pack and occasionally some loamy dirt but this is rare.

I have used Dunlop 606 tires on my Wr450F set up for street or trail, and these tires did fairly well, good traction and they seemed to last.

Can anyone out there in Thumper Land help with my tire decision?

Thank you

I just spooned on new MOTOZ dez's frt/rr on my BRP that I use mostly for DS/ long multi-day rides. They feel pretty

solid in the conditions you listed, corner well on the Tarmac, and they definitely hummm on road compared to the Heidenau Scouts they replaced. I also installed Tubliss frt/rr, and with super low psi I can get good traction in the slower/ more tech areas. Don't know about longevity yet, but they have some bigazz deep lugs. I can burn ANY tire up PDQ if I'm heavy on the throttle, but I'm thinking these will stay around a bit longer. I wish I had more miles on 'em so I could give expected mileage, but I still say to give'm a GO.

• Like 1