2014-2016 yz250f any reason to go newer?

I may be looking at buying a yz250f and was wondering if I should just go for the best deal or did maybe the 2014 or any other year have problems? I can get a 2014 yz250f new for 5000 or a 2015 for 6000 or 2016 for 6460 right now but not sure what to do at the moment

• Like 1

I was in the same position as you. After much reading on here and another website, I decided I would rather pay more for a '16 model that has the improved/redesigned parts on it. Yamaha haven't made huge changes since '14, but the ones they have made have been due to failures/problems discovered to make the bike more durable. I can't remember which thread it was but there was a image posted of all the upgraded parts and part numbers from 14/15 to the 16 model.

I am picking mine up tomorrow :)

I was in the same position as you. After much reading on here and another website, I decided I would rather pay more for a '16 model that has the improved/redesigned parts on it. Yamaha haven't made huge changes since '14, but the ones they have made have been due to failures/problems discovered to make the bike more durable. I can't remember which thread it was but there was a image posted of all the upgraded parts and part numbers from 14/15 to the 16 model.

I am picking mine up tomorrow :)

was it just to keep the bike more durable?

rod failures in the 14/15 bikes

16 model YZF YZFX & WR have an uprated rod

16 model YZF also have a new piston

• Like 1

Hmm maybe Ill just wait for a few months until the 2017 come out and they lower the price on the 2016 then. Definitely want something durable

I was in the same boat as well and I ended up going with the 16. Not only is the crank/ piston updated but the 14 and 15s were having problems with the water pump and transmission that they cleared up in 16. The 14 and 15s are still nasty bikes but in my opinion the durability upgrades are worth $1400.

• Like 1

I have yet to go sit on one in person, I've heard that they feel really wide and a bit heavy while riding is there any truth to that?