mods that i should do to a stock xr250r 2004?

Hi guys, my dad just bought me an xr250r and wondering if there are any recommended mods that i should do? im 15, 174cm tall and have been riding for around 7 years. cheers

The bike is 12 years old, may be needing a top end.  If so, go big bore, the power increase, especially down low, is a really nice improvem

i am agreeing and would have done the same thing but when I bought mine in February it only had a few hours on it.  Since then id say Ive put 15 hours at least but that has nothing to do with my question for the people who are bored out how much reliability was sacrificed if any. i may start a post. Yes MR CJ i believe I will because I have more questions on this subject, G;day sir

No mention of what you weigh- get suspension sprung for your weight with gear on. If it runs well, ride it, and OFTEN. Basics like bark busters, aftermarket skid plate, etc to protect it. 

• Like 1

No mention of what you weigh- get suspension sprung for your weight with gear on. If it runs well, ride it, and OFTEN. Basics like bark busters, aftermarket skid plate, etc to protect it. 

The Ricochet Offroad skid plate is very nice, fits well and offers great protection.  I have one on my XR.  Bark busters...I won't go there and start that argument. :smirk:

are the stock handgaurds any good? thinking of geetting maybe bar risers and amu bashplate. anyone know of anything else? will be using it on a farm while doing enduro in the holidays in the scrub on our place

stock hand guards (rock shields) are junk. enduro engineering, cycra and a host of other manufacturers make decent sets that provide a lot of protection. Acerbis is cheap- and will not last as long as the better stuff.

You can easily spend $500-1000USD on a big bore conversion, If the bike runs well, leave engine mods out of the plan for now and see how well you progress.

stock hand guards (rock shields) are junk. enduro engineering, cycra and a host of other manufacturers make decent sets that provide a lot of protection. Acerbis is cheap- and will not last as long as the better stuff.

You can easily spend $500-1000USD on a big bore conversion, If the bike runs well, leave engine mods out of the plan for now and see how well you progress.

Wiseco 277 kit with gaskets will run approximately $150, bore job from a good machinist $75. That's a lot less than $500. ;)

Wiseco 277 kit with gaskets will run approximately $150, bore job from a good machinist $75. That's a lot less than $500. ;)

Gaskets too. But still sub 300 if that's all you're doing.

If the bike still has the stock brake lines, then replacing them with braided metal brake lines will make make a big difference. Particularly the front brake line.