Running An XR650R With A Worn Out Bottom End

I had big plans to rebuild my XR650R this past winter as the bottom end has been making a lot of noise. One thing led to another and I never got a chance to tear into it and now that we're well into the busy season, it's not getting rebuilt for a while.

Am I going to hurt anything by running it for another year with a loose bottom end?

As far as I remember you didn't have such a big issue with the bottom end, it's a problem that needs to be dealt with ASAP if you see a lot of metal particles in your oil and oil filter, bronze color, which would mean your crankshaft might blow up any hour now, the engine itself is a bit noisy from factory, you might hear a lot of noises that could actually be clutch basket wear or anything. So if there were no metal particles then you could risk it and leave it as it is for now, just measure all the gaps manual says about

As far as I remember you didn't have such a big issue with the bottom end, it's a problem that needs to be dealt with ASAP if you see a lot of metal particles in your oil and oil filter, bronze color, which would mean your crankshaft might blow up any hour now, the engine itself is a bit noisy from factory, you might hear a lot of noises that could actually be clutch basket wear or anything. So if there were no metal particles then you could risk it and leave it as it is for now, just measure all the gaps manual says about

Your right, the main reason is that's it's down on compression and drinks oil - which doesn't really bother me as I just keep adding oil.

As for the noise, my brother picked up a really low mile XR650R last summer that I have to compare mine to and mine is a fair bit noisier. Not valve ticking, but it sounds like deep engine noise.

I have yet to see any particles in the oil or filter yet.

Should I just ride it and change the oil and filter often?

If it drinks oil it wants new piston rings, better replace the piston and pin as well, when worn out the gap between piston and cylinder also makes some unpleasant noise

There are kits with gaskets for less than $200 on fleabay, OEM, Wiseco or JE work good

If there were metal particles you would see them as soon as you took the filter cover off  :)

death7.jpg

death2.jpg