250 2 Stroke for trails

Hey

I am looking at upgrading to a bigger bike soon. I am going off a crf250x and I am looking at a 250 2 stroke. I have ridden a 450 and its too much power for me on the trails. I'm about 6'1 - 6'2 and 100kg so height and weight isn't an issue for me. The reason I am looking at a mx 250 is in australia all those enduro type bikes are 2-3 grand more than the mx bikes. I have seen a few nice 2014 ktm 250sx for around 6 grand and that about the max i want to spend. I know if i buy a mx bike I would have to get a bigger tank and a kickstand stuff like that.

Thanks James

if you find a 450 is too powerful, it will be just the same for a MX 250 2-st that's for sure. I don't know where people get that a 250 2-st is not as powerful as a 450 4-st. they are in the same class. The 450 is just more about bottom to mid range and a 250 2-st is more on the top-end 

but a 250exc or 250xc is an enduro bike that is not as explosive as an MX. it will be just find for gnarly stuff in tight trails.

• Like 1

Whats wrong with your 250x? Is it stock? I have a buddy who basically made his into and "R" and races it in local hare scrambles. Great bikes. Gave up his CR250 for it.

If your a trail rider I would bite the bullet and get the woods bike. You'll end up spending that money in upgrades anyway for the mx bike..... 250 exc

there seems to be a long list of issues with the ktm 250exc bikes. I was thinking of buying a bike like a cr250 or kx250 and just put a bigger tank and stand, stuff like that?

I just sold my '06 250XC, and that bike was stone cold reliable. I never had a problem with it. You can get a lot of bike for a whole lot less than 6K. An '08-'12 for example. There is a reason there is a sea of orange at hare scrambles events. Just my 2 cents.

• Like 1

Whats wrong with your 250x? Is it stock? I have a buddy who basically made his into and "R" and races it in local hare scrambles. Great bikes. Gave up his CR250 for it.

yeah its stock just want something bigger with a bigger kick that all

In my opinion the WP suspension on KTM MX bikes are way way too stiff for off road. Have you ridden a YZ250? Great power, light and the best stock suspension in the game. That's my preference over an enduro type bike and I'm in the states so I have many options.

Just one man's opinion.

• Like 1

yeah its stock just want something bigger with a bigger kick that all

You can spend about $1000 and make that a way faster bike.

I'll ask my buddy what he did specifically. But his bike is night and day.

there seems to be a long list of issues with the ktm 250exc bikes. I was thinking of buying a bike like a cr250 or kx250 and just put a bigger tank and stand, stuff like that?

long list... like what?

No I don't own one but know better.

Hey

I am looking at upgrading to a bigger bike soon. I am going off a crf250x and I am looking at a 250 2 stroke. I have ridden a 450 and its too much power for me on the trails.

A couple of things to consider. A 2T 250 will have around the same power as that 450 4T, but not as much low end torque. Motocross engines are pretty explosive in the midrange, and depending on the terrain you ride on can be a real handfull trying to get the rear end to hook up and not spin. Motocross suspension is very stiff for offroad riding, and even by backing the clickers all the way off it will likely still be a handfull to ride in rocks as it deflects off everything. Again, depends on the conditions you ride in.

Some changes are easy - flywheel weight, pipe, gearing, tank, kickstand. Others aren't like suspension. Unless you know how, you're looking at a very substantial cost having MX suspension revalved for offroad.

Likely the easiest way to go is with a KTM. Find yourself one with the PDS rear end and no matter what model it is, it's not too tough to make into a good offroad bike. Plus most of the parts are interchangable among models so you can tailor it to your own needs. The linkage models are better for MX, but for offroad are tough to get soft enough and the linkage is vulnerable to rocks.

Otherwise, now that Yamaha has introduced the YZ250X, you can put X model parts on a regular YZ and make it more off road worthy. There are some significant changes between the two bikes, but you don't have to do all of them at once. 

Some things to think about....