Octane booster added to just gas/non ethanol 87 octane. Brand and ratio? Octane boost=ethanol or problems?

Those of us that can make a hour or more drive to get real gas not the ethanol garbage, and get 87 octane real gas. Is it a good idea to add a octane booster and if so how much and what brand to have a stable quality fuel for a stock 2 stroke etc.?

thank you.

Just a note on 'Octane Boost' additives,

when they advertize 'raises octane by 4 points'

that doesn't mean you go from 87 to 91, it means 87 to 87.4

IMO, unless mixing in AVGas or race fuel to pure 87 to raise it in the 91-92 range,

you're better of buying 91 octane even if it contains ethanol and adding in an ethanol treatment to it.

Edited by mlatour

There is no reason to have higher octane unless you have a higher than stock compression motor or piston set up.

Higher octane fuel burns slower to prevent pre-ignition.

It has not additional 'power' in it.

Adding octane booster will actually make your fuel LESS stable, as it is typically a more aromatic hydrocarbon, meaning it will separate and evaporate quickly.

The best thing you can do to your fuel is add a high performance Ethanol treatment like PRI-G or Torco or similar.

One bottle will last for years.

you're better of buying 91 octane even if it contains ethanol and adding in an ethanol treatment to it.

What is this ethanol treatment never heard of it.

I use Shell V-Power and it have 5% ethanol so if i can do something to

To get rid of the ethanol that  would be wonderful but... i am a skeptic

Can you post a link or explain it to me?

Edited by skorpan777

Not a product I need to use myself but see above post by Krannie for suggestions.

NO NO I do not want to add ethanol!

I just want the correct gas and octane for my motorcycle etc.

Just trying to get up to 91 octane. If I remember correctly that is what KTM recommends.

I am trying to get away from the horrible federal gasoline/hogwash/ripoff ethanol!

Sick of ruined fuel screens, carbs, tanks, fuel systems.

Also having to always through away the ethanol gas that has sucked in water is a waste off time and aggravation!

Just trying to get up to 91 octane. If I remember correctly that is what KTM recommends.

I am trying to get away from the horrible federal gasoline/hogwash/ripoff ethanol!

Also having to always through away the ethanol gas that has sucked in water is a waste off time and aggravation!

I have been using plain old premium pump gas 91 octane E85 (15% ethanol) for almost two decades now with zero fuel issues and store it in plastic jugs for up to a month on a regular basis. Do you let your bike sit months between rides or something to get all of these ethanol related issues?

Edited by woods-rider

You are assuming the wrong things.

You don't need 91 octane, and, KTM's octane rating method is not the same as ours.

Octane has NOTHING TO DO WITH THE QUALITY OF THE GASOLINE. 

It's just a combustion rating, nothing more.

All fuel with Ethanol added becomes 'hydroscopic': it attracts water into the fuel, and into your fuel system.

So, you remove the hydroscopic action by adding a 'ethanol treament' to your gas.

Look up the brands I listed.

This has been going on for 21 years....

Unless your a extremely advanced level racer and looking for every advantage possible ( also taken into consideration your bike requires high octane fuel to begin with), Your just wasting your money! 93 pump gas is more than fine!

Edited by PelvicThruster

Unless your a extremely advanced level racer and looking for every advantage possible ( also taken into consideration your bike requires high octane fuel to begin with), Your just wasting your money! 93 pump gas is more than fine!

Again, there is NO ADVANTAGE to running higher octane fuel if you bike does not need it.

Are you detonating under full throttle or heavy loads? Then you need higher octane.

That's it. That's the determining factor.

If I told you that "my buddy said to run higher tire pressue in order for my bike to handle better" whould you think this statement has any merit on it's own ?

Again, there is NO ADVANTAGE to running higher octane fuel if you bike does not need it.

Are you detonating under full throttle or heavy loads? Then you need higher octane.

That's it. That's the determining factor.

If I told you that "my buddy said to run higher tire pressue in order for my bike to handle better" whould you think this statement has any merit on it's own ?

Thats pretty much what i said, More advanced racers run high compression bikes but not all which is why i said if the bike requires it. Edited by PelvicThruster

My KTM manual says 95 RON

95 RON is equal to 91 R+M/2

RON (research octane number) is the common octane measuring method used worldwide

and usualy indicated in service manuals from Euro and Japanese bike manufacturers.

R+M/2 is the method used in north america, "their" 95 is equal to 'our' 91 pump premium.

95 RON is equal to 91 R+M/2

RON (research octane number) is the common octane measuring method used worldwide

and usualy indicated in service manuals from Euro and Japanese bike manufacturers.

R+M/2 is the method used in north america, "their" 95 is equal to 'our' 91 pump premium.

Thank you. So I was right in saying earlier that I wanted to kick the 87 real gas octane up to 91.

You are assuming the wrong things.

You don't need 91 octane, and, KTM's octane rating method is not the same as ours.

Octane has NOTHING TO DO WITH THE QUALITY OF THE GASOLINE. 

It's just a combustion rating, nothing more.

All fuel with Ethanol added becomes 'hydroscopic': it attracts water into the fuel, and into your fuel system.

So, you remove the hydroscopic action by adding a 'ethanol treament' to your gas.

Look up the brands I listed.

This has been going on for 21 years....

The manufacturer KTM disagrees with you.

I looked it up. 95 RON or 91 here.

I have been using plain old premium pump gas 91 octane E85 (15% ethanol) for almost two decades now with zero fuel issues and store it in plastic jugs for up to a month on a regular basis. Do you let your bike sit months between rides or something to get all of these ethanol related issues?

E85 is not 15% ethanol. That would be called E15.

Krannie is right about octane numbers being confused with horsepower or quality, but I wouldn't pour in a fuel that has a lower octane than my manual calls for, "booster" or not.

KTM manual says something like: 95 RON / 91 PON. PON is Posted Octane Number, and is the number resulting from the (R+M)/2 formula Mlatour posted.

Skip the witches brew and deal with the ethanol. You may have to make small jetting changes. I just had to make the switch to E10 93 because in my area only up to 90PON is available without booze now. That would be suitable in the TTR, which requires 91RON, but not in the Husky. Ethanol sucks, but octane boosters suck more.

I've never had a problem running ordinary pump gas, E10 or whatever it is.  Fuel additives are a waste of money.  Just run premium pump fuel and drain the carb if the bike is going to be out of service for a month or more.