2 stroke vs. 4 stroke vs. electric bikes

Why not? Ok what do you think about 2 stroke piston seizers vs. grenading valve dropper 4-strokes vs. electric powered "bro I need to double up on extension cords to get around the trails and mx track bikes?" Have fun out there with this one, the pro's are out there. Now get some!bc31c3731eca23ac839254a231e58081.jpg

Why not add pedal power too?

Darn it! I forgot pedal power, I knew I forgot something......lol.12306-there-are-no-mistakes-just-happy-accidents_380x280_width.png

Edited by cr-dude3

Wheel chairs being pushed by hotties. Major knobbies.

Now for an excuse to visit the hospital, I sprang my ego, yaaaaa that's it, now where's my nursie? lolmenu-wheelchair.jpggiggity-quagmire_212879.jpg

Edited by cr-dude3
  • Like 1

Two smokes are awesome light, but vibrate and stink.  and FAST!!  4 strokes do everything well and I don't know anyone who grenaded their engine if they took reasonable care of it.  The electric motors worry me about getting home.  I know you can run out of gas on anything but the electric bikes are damn hard to shake to see how much juice is still in the battery. And don't batteries lose their effective power (storage capacity) faster than a 4 stroke engine eats it's valves? 

YMMV?  Everybody's mileage will vary on this one.

Edited by motoinmoab
  • Like 1

Batteries do loose capacity and voltage over time and/or cycles. They also are not even close to being able to have the capacity to hold energy like a liquid fuel.

33 kWh battery is equal energy to a gallon of gas. Most electric cars don't have batteries that big. Only the Tesla's. Even then a top of the line tesla only carries the energy of less than 3 gallon of gas.

I like the idea of an electric bike, but it's going to be a ways off to replace a typical trail bike. I think you will see them on the mx/sx track first as running for 20-30 min is easier than 75-100 mile days on the trail.

Edited by slotracer577
  • Like 2

As soon as they are practucal, then why not? A friend of mine just got a tesla S. That thing can MOVE! Electric motors have 100% torque throughout the Rev range. I have always said if you want to get people to buy electric cars, they need to be fun and cool, and that's what the tesla is, and that's exactly why he got it.

They would be great in the woods. Think about it, everyone is too lame to use clutches anymore, bikes overheat going slow, you have to keep your rpm up in a low gear, but not just spin out the back wheel. What about quick change battery packs? You have extra fuel in a jug, why not extra batteries? And they are quiet so obnoxious liberals won't move in and then bitch about the noise and get the trails shut down. Or you won't freak out the four legged poop factories and their riders as they clog up the trails. You would be able to hear lard ass in his side by side (previously on his quad) barreling towards you in the middle of the trail before he runs you over.

I don't think the technology is quite there yet, but it's close. Personally, I will probably have a two stroke until the day I die, but I wouldn't mind having a coal powered electric bike, so long as it was fast and fun!

• Like 2

Here is a good thread about electric bikes.

http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/1091138-the-electric-motocross-bikes-discussionopinions-page-future-of-mx/page-1

Here is a teaser from a member here that is building one.

CRF2eR, on 08 Aug 2015 - 12:56 AM, said:

You WILL get to see and ride an electric motocross bike that will be faster and easier to ride than any existing gas powered bike soon. We are in the late stages of building two prototype state-of-the-art electric drive systems that bolt into late model Honda CRF motocrossers, with their watercooled 50 kw (65 hp) motors, watercooled inverters, and watercooled 300+ volt battery packs, will be a game changer, for sure.

Here's the watercooled custom designed/machined inverters being installed in the bikes airbox area...
B991B24A-4964-4F2D-8428-34C070488306.jpg

The 65 hp 10,000 rpm electric motor (can be safely pushed to 80 hp), gear reduction, and watercooled battery boxes (with some of the bike batteries in the background).
F442A0AB-AA97-449C-A300-F759FC8F60D0.jpg

Here's the electric bike with all the major components installed. The feel of this electric Honda should be exactly like the original gas version.
79BF4812-D36F-4E9C-B3E6-EB943899BF22.jpg

The near future looks bright for quiet, maintenance-free riding...
Randy

Here is a different one from Europe that is being tested.

v1.jpg

Here is a video of it in action.

https://youtu.be/juH-DIsGZOY

• Like 2

As soon as they are practucal, then why not? A friend of mine just got a tesla S. That thing can MOVE! Electric motors have 100% torque throughout the Rev range. I have always said if you want to get people to buy electric cars, they need to be fun and cool, and that's what the tesla is, and that's exactly why he got it.

They would be great in the woods. Think about it, everyone is too lame to use clutches anymore, bikes overheat going slow, you have to keep your rpm up in a low gear, but not just spin out the back wheel. What about quick change battery packs? You have extra fuel in a jug, why not extra batteries? And they are quiet so obnoxious liberals won't move in and then bitch about the noise and get the trails shut down. Or you won't freak out the four legged poop factories and their riders as they clog up the trails. You would be able to hear lard ass in his side by side (previously on his quad) barreling towards you in the middle of the trail before he runs you over.

I don't think the technology is quite there yet, but it's close. Personally, I will probably have a two stroke until the day I die, but I wouldn't mind having a coal powered electric bike, so long as it was fast and fun!

Electric motors don't have 100% of their torque across the full RPM range, they have it at low rpms and it drops as RPM and speed increases.

Here is a Tesla S electric dyno chart to use as an example.

cg470.png

• Like 1

Oops! My bad. I Re wrote what I was going to say a couple times on this phone and lost track of what I was actually saying! I think I was going somewhere with having low end grunt for the woods but talked about that later. The overall point is I think the power curve would be ideal for a lot of dirt bike applications.

• Like 1

Two smokes are awesome light, but vibrate and stink.  and FAST!!  4 strokes do everything well and I don't know anyone who grenaded their engine if they took reasonable care of it.  The electric motors worry me about getting home.  I know you can run out of gas on anything but the electric bikes are damn hard to shake to see how much juice is still in the battery. And don't batteries lose their effective power (storage capacity) faster than a 4 stroke engine eats it's valves? 

YMMV?  Everybody's mileage will vary on this one.4

4-strokes do grenade.....IMG_3016.jpg250px-VanDriessen.jpg

Here is a good thread about electric bikes.

http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/1091138-the-electric-motocross-bikes-discussionopinions-page-future-of-mx/page-1

Here is a teaser from a member here that is building one.

Here is a different one from Europe that is being tested.

v1.jpg

Here is a video of it in action.

https://youtu.be/juH-DIsGZOY

Impressive, I love that carbon fiber scoot by emxm, that's one awesome bike! I would purchase one in the future if it came down to it. Well done Mental!!! Excellent write up! I loved that film, those bikes never heard him coming, now that's stealth! Thanx for the film Mental!

Edited by cr-dude3
  • Like 1

Impressive, I love that carbon fiber scoot by emxm, that's one awesome bike! I would purchase one in the future if it came down to it. Well done Mental!!! Excellent write up!

If you want to see electric motorcycle motor melt downs, watch the electric iom race documentary. It took a couple of years but they could do a lap of 40+ miles at speed. Too bad they weighed more than 500 lbs.

what we need is a set of rules that allow them to compete with regular mx bikes. They you will see development. Problem is the rules need to be open enough to allow a wide range of solutions instead of just stuff an electric in an existing frame.

I don't think that is a viable solution as the energy density of the batteries is too low.

The other issue is how do you specify classes? We use engine size now, but how do you do that for electric motors in a bike? Hp output, windings?

• Like 1

It's all about the battery tech which is rapidly advancing...As soon as an electric bike can run in the dunes for two hours and be equal in weight to a 450, I'm in! I've ridden a couple Zeros a few years ago (their dirt model and their street model) and the dirtbike one felt to me pretty much like a 250...The instant torque without gear shifts was impressive (had plenty of power to wheelie)...But on a track, it could only run for 20 minutes or so...Which makes it silly to me at this point, but it is moving forward so in ten years who knows? They may be quicker and lighter than existing 450s and run for longer than a desert tank would allow you to? At that point, why not?

• Like 2