1996 XR600R oil issue

Recently bought a 1996 xr600r. The old bike is in decent shape(ill post pictures later) but after determining the engine was not receiving oil to the top end, i tore it down and am in the process of  rebuilding it. Actually waiting on gaskets to put it back together. My question is where should i start trying to diagnose the problem? I loosened the top banjo bolt to check while running and no oil. I did check the oil filter was installed correctly. Any help would appreciated. Thanks, Brent

This old bike proves that Honda's are tough, i rode a few hours in hot weather with no knowledge there was no oil flow. Engine never made any noise, no indication of a problem. Finally got to the point of the valve train getting very noisy, thats when i started investigating. And actually the cylinder and piston wasn't hurt, the head, valve cover, cam and rocker arms took the grunt of the blow. I bought a used head, camshaft, and valve cover off ebay to repair it. Also went ahead and bought a new sleeve piston and rings since its apart this far.

Get down into the cases and get your fuel pump out, look at the pumps gears and see how they look

Get down into the cases and get your fuel pump out, look at the pumps gears and see how they look

Oil pump right?

Yes sorry I don't know why I said fuel pump

I had thrust washer shavings in my oil from the rod going out, my oil pump gears got all nicked up. I bought another oil pump.

Just a thought. I mean if the line to the heads clear the pump should pump oil up. Unless the pump isn't working. It's more likely the gears on the inside but of course check the pumps drive gear.

Check the oil strainer at the bottom of the frame down tube and be sure that the hose from the frame to the engine is not twisted or kinked.

Great point! That's where the pump sucks from huh? And I seem to remember it being a common issue to twist that tube...gotta lube threads these days huh?

On the short hose is a place to use a 12mm wrench to hold the hose as it is tightened so it doesn't twist.

Honda had a problem in 2008 with a batch of bikes that left the factory with twisted hoses.

Cost them FEW engines.

Thanks everyone, i have heard about checking the oil lines. So hopefully get to it this weekend.

Also make sure the tube , seal and O-ring are in place from the oil pump to the clutch cover.

if the oil filter cover is not aligned right you wont get oil up the tube

im having an oil problem as well .after installing a xr 400 cooler on my 650 the oil level in the case is too high.when you remove the oil level check bolt oil comes out when it should be level with the bottom of the hole .one of the fitting i used looked to have a smaller hole than the rest hope thats it 

im having an oil problem as well .after installing a xr 400 cooler on my 650 the oil level in the case is too high.when you remove the oil level check bolt oil comes out when it should be level with the bottom of the hole .one of the fitting i used looked to have a smaller hole than the rest hope thats it 

Are you pulling the bolt out immediately after shutdown or after sitting awhile ? I'm assuming the dipstick reads low too ?