Does the XTrainer only have 1 fork spring?

Correct, the fork spring is in the right leg, valving is in the left.

Ah awesome! So is there anything fancy I need to do to respring it?

Right: Just open it up, dump the oil, put the new spring in, add oil, set the level, close it up

Left: Open it up, dump the oil, add new oil, set the level, close it up

Heat the inner nut that you will remove with the special tool thoroughly. It has thread lock & will prbably strip the pins on the tool if you dont heat it.

Ah awesome! So is there anything fancy I need to do to respring it?

Right: Just open it up, dump the oil, put the new spring in, add oil, set the level, close it up

Left: Open it up, dump the oil, add new oil, set the level, close it up

Heat the inner nut that you will remove with the special tool thoroughly. It has thread lock & will prbably strip the pins on the tool if you dont heat it.

Should I replace the thread locker then? Probably using some oil resistent kind I bet, yes?

Do I need to re-shim it?

Edited by officialhopsof

I should have been more clear. The tool pins will probably not strip since I think they are hardened steel but the holes in the nut probably will since I think the nut is aluminum. I have no idea how the previous poster fit an impact wrench on the tool but I tried without heat & hand tools & almost striped out the holes. I then heated it & it came out easily. I flipped the nuts when I reinserted them since they are the same on either side so I will have fresh holes next time & used blue thread lock. I think they had used black thread lock on mine. I did a thorough writeup on the XT facebook page but good luck finding it. . . .

Should I replace the thread locker then? Probably using some oil resistent kind I bet, yes?

Do I need to re-shim it?

• Like 1

I should have been more clear. The tool pins will probably not strip since I think they are hardened steel but the holes in the nut probably will since I think the nut is aluminum. I have no idea how the previous poster fit an impact wrench on the tool but I tried without heat & hand tools & almost striped out the holes. I then heated it & it came out easily. I flipped the nuts when I reinserted them since they are the same on either side so I will have fresh holes next time & used blue thread lock. I think they had used black thread lock on mine. I did a thorough writeup on the XT facebook page but good luck finding it. . . .

Thanks Bedunjgi! Any idea what sort of shims I should get? Or will the spring come with them? Also, what is the manufacturers spec on the spring lenght?

Edited by officialhopsof

The other end of the tool has 27mm hex which the the same as most rear axle nut.  I put the 27mm socket onto impact wrench to drive the tool.  I also reverse the nut  as you did.

• Like 1