Herniated Disks Neck/Cervical Surgery Dr Mark?

I have two herniated disks in my neck and have had them for the past ten years.  It has gotten so bad that now various doctors are pushing either getting them plated or having the graft/fusion or the replacement - the pain is pretty severe and goes down into my hands.  I clearly have a pinched nerve and am doing everything I can to get it lifted.  I haven't ridden this year and have had two cortisone shots, trying various physical therapy and have started a new chiropractor that also does acupuncture. 

My question is after having one of the above procedures done has anyone still raced or ride? 

Would love to hear from Dr Mark on this if he sees this.

I'm many years post micro laser discectomy for herniation at L4 and L5. I still ride and do lots of phyiscal activity. Very happy that I had the issue surgically corrected. Back rarely bothers me if at all.

I'm many years post micro laser discectomy for herniation at L4 and L5. I still ride and do lots of phyiscal activity. Very happy that I had the issue surgically corrected. Back rarely bothers me if at all.

I have had issues with cervical (c5 - c7) for years but its gotten out of control.  I now have a pinched nerve from my neck down to my fingers.  I was going to race the gncc opener in Florida and everything went haywire one week before the race.   I feel like if I would have made the race this wouldn't have happened.  When I am racing the constant jolting I feel keeps everything loose and I haven't been on the bike since last November.

I am looking into options now.  When you had the laser discectomy did they just shave a bit of your vertebrae?

Edited by dcmetro1

The neck is a very critical area, I wouldn't let any Chiro near me. Period! But I would seek out the finest neuro-ortho guys in the country even if it meant traveling. The Doc does make a huge difference. Also, the more damage done now will be very hard to recover from, nerves are very delicate and healing is very slow if at all. Good luck.

I have one artificial disk in my neck and two in lumbar.  I managed to win the District 17 +40B enduro championship with the help of the extra hardware.