Ohlins RMZ450 to RMZ250 advise

Hello everyone.

Right so i have just bought a rear ohlins shock from an RMZ450 (Ohlins No. SU-15940) to put on my 2012 RMZ250.

Guess what i’m after is a bit of reassurance and guidance as i have zero experience with these shocks.

Got a bit of info from Kais (uk suspension tuner) over the phone.  

Valving.  He compared the two stacks between what Ohlins specify for the 450/250 units and suggested i try the 450 shock first and just play with the clickers.

Stock settings:

High Speed - 2    

Slow Speed - 12    

Rebound - 25

Then go up to 4 lighter on the slow speed compression & up to 4 lighter/faster on the rebound.

Springs.  Might be a bit funny as apparently ohlins go up in two step increments?  I'm currently running a 5.1 105mm race / 35or36mm free....and Kais suggested i go with a 5.0 so that’s what I’ve ordered to try out.  I weight 72kg in street clothes.

Thoughts?

Springs are not that close on rating to trust 0.1

Your Sag isn't bad.

I wouldn't change the spring.

Your Sag isn't bad.

I wouldn't change the spring.

current spring isn't compatible with the new shock i am afraid

I run my fox shock from my rmz450 on my rmz250 and my rm250. I have to open up the clickers more on the rmz250 and for some reason it's softer in the rm250 than it is on the rmz250. I run one spring rate less than from the rmz450. I know it's not an ohlins but figured my experience may help.

Thats actually quite handy.  Thanks for your input AC.

Here's one for you:

- Stock shock.  5.1 spring. 105 race sag.  Around 35mm free sag.  

- Ohlins shock.  5.0 spring. 105 race sag.  I'm getting close to 50mm of free sag...?

One is wrong and I'm guessing the ohlins

I run my fox shock from my rmz450 on my rmz250 and my rm250. I have to open up the clickers more on the rmz250 and for some reason it's softer in the rm250 than it is on the rmz250. I run one spring rate less than from the rmz450. I know it's not an ohlins but figured my experience may help.

Bet it's the swingarm length.  I was surprised how long that arm was on my RM250.

Cheers mog, you always help with my reassurance questions.

i don't usually do this....but....how rude are Kais (guys i bought my ohlins shock spring from)?! Will not be using them again.  Very abrasive.  

I explained my case.  Immediately shot down "you're wrong!".  Nothing more to add.  No back up as to maybe why or anything......ok then.  Then started picking holes in me, my knowledge and my bike.  Said i shouldn't be running 105mm race sag "what are you thinking it should be 95 to 100mm".  Then said i need a heavier spring.  From my experience and understanding would make the free sag greater.  Said the spring i have is no good to them anymore.  Presumably because I've installed it.  I then suggested that maybe the spring was miss tested or labeled.  Could be an honest mistake right?  This then pissed them off even more for some reason.

We argued the toss for a few mins. with no real conclusion.....going to try Dale at RG3 London now; starting off by testing the rate of the spring supplied by Kais and going from there.

It may be that i need a 4.8?  I only bought the 5.0 from Kais's recommendations.

What do you think Mog?

Speak to Karl Anderson kas he will treat you right