Which rear tire should I try next?

Hey guys I ride a lot of rocky trails & some coal hills once in a while (aswell as a variety of dirt & mud along the way). I have a set of STI MXC's on the front is holding up well but the rear is pretty shot already after only 3-4 rides. Another few rides and its ready for a new one. Was wondering if theres something that I might get a few more rides out of? Want to try some different tires to see what I like best. What would you guys recommend for my type of trails? 110/90-19 if it matters. 

I am running the Kenda Equalibrium right now. Performance wise it has been amazing. Hooks up awesome on rocks, roots and anything else wet or dry. However I was disappointed in how long it lasted. Then I was informed I needed to ride it more like a trials tire and not spin & slide it as much. But I like to spin & slide it...soooo

The tires I am looking at are the Maxxis Desert IT, lots of guys use it here in Central Texas for the rocky trails we have and really like it. That is my top pick, my next pick would be the new Shinko 505 Hybrid cheater tire. Similar to the Kenda Equalibrium. Someone on here said that it is the same as the Golden Tyre the pro Hard Enduro guys run. Golden's patent on it is now up and the Shikno is suppose to be the same. But my guess is that spinning and sliding that tire will eat it up just like the Kenda.

I am running the Kenda Equalibrium right now. Performance wise it has been amazing. Hooks up awesome on rocks, roots and anything else wet or dry. However I was disappointed in how long it lasted. Then I was informed I needed to ride it more like a trials tire and not spin & slide it as much. But I like to spin & slide it...soooo

The tires I am looking at are the Maxxis Desert IT, lots of guys use it here in Central Texas for the rocky trails we have and really like it. That is my top pick, my next pick would be the new Shinko 505 Hybrid cheater tire. Similar to the Kenda Equalibrium. Someone on here said that it is the same as the Golden Tyre the pro Hard Enduro guys run. Golden's patent on it is now up and the Shikno is suppose to be the same. But my guess is that spinning and sliding that tire will eat it up just like the Kenda.

If you're looking at the Maxxis Desert IT you should take a look at the Kenda Parker DT.  Very similar tire and much cheaper.  I've had a set for a year now and am very impressed.

If you're looking at the Maxxis Desert IT you should take a look at the Kenda Parker DT.  Very similar tire and much cheaper.  I've had a set for a year now and am very impressed.

Good to know!! I'll check it out

Kenda Triple really surprised me with how long it lasted out here in the rocks.Good grip and easy on the wallet.

I ride many terrains including sand, root infested clay single track, rock, mud, dirt. I find the Shinko 525 intermediate to hard an exceptional tire at grabbing a variety of terra. It does wear down rather fast, but what tire that works doesn't.

this looks like the tire ive been looking for, I think im going to try this next. 

this looks like the tire ive been looking for, I think im going to try this next. 

Its extremely aggressive with tall knobs.  Great traction.

DSCF6877_zpsmhlug5pr.jpg

DSCF6877_zpsmhlug5pr.jpg

Sold Sold Sold. Just ordered one, gonna run the piss out of my tire on there now muaha

I'm running the Sedona Tire mx 907 hp. Its good and cheap too. Long lasting and great traction. Prolly keep running this one for awhile. Surprisingly good on the pavement too.

I'm running the Sedona Tire mx 907 hp. Its good and cheap too. Long lasting and great traction. Prolly keep running this one for awhile. Surprisingly good on the pavement too.

my buddy is running this tire, im gonna see how it likes it next week maybe ill try one out after the kenda is kicked. 

my buddy is running this tire, im gonna see how it likes it next week maybe ill try one out after the kenda is kicked.

I'm running one with Tubliss. Great tire for all conditions and cheap as well.

Sold Sold Sold. Just ordered one, gonna run the piss out of my tire on there now muaha

In case you didn't notice its bi-directional.  You will probably want to run it on intermediate, not hard.

DSCF6880_zpse5gd92g4.jpg

In case you didn't notice its bi-directional.  You will probably want to run it on intermediate, not hard.

DSCF6880_zpse5gd92g4.jpg

Thats pretty neat huh! Id def. run the intermediate for what its worth

Where did you order it from?

Where did you order it from?

Chaparral usually has the best price on these.

This looks like an awesome tire! It'll be my next tire for sure! What you guys run for the front? -- Is there a 'Tire Pics' thread?

Yep me too. Although I just put them on, so I can't vouch for the longevity. But I'm happy with the traction in the same type of terrain. I'm a cheap sunufagun, but what sold me is the look... wicked.

http://www.bikebandit.com/tires-tubes/motorcycle-tires/sedona-mx-907hp?gclid=CJXEga3yoswCFcUmhgodWmsGZw

BTW to the OP, where in PA are you? Your post sounds just like my area.

Edited by Bron-Yr-Aur

Hey guys I ride a lot of rocky trails & some coal hills once in a while (aswell as a variety of dirt & mud along the way). I have a set of STI MXC's on the front is holding up well but the rear is pretty shot already after only 3-4 rides. Another few rides and its ready for a new one. Was wondering if theres something that I might get a few more rides out of? Want to try some different tires to see what I like best. What would you guys recommend for my type of trails? 110/90-19 if it matters. 

As soon as you see rides "coal hills"  it is a pretty safe bet they are in WV or PA. 

I just got 2 new tires for my bikes.  A Pirelli mx xtra for my yz250 and an IRC M5B for the cr500.   I expect them both to do great on the coal dumps and the Pirelli to be an all around beast for South West PA riding, dealing with the rocks, roots, mud, hard pack, coal hills you name it.   Not sure what to expect out of the M5B in the hard stuff ??    

Both bikes laid up right now but should be both back on the trail soon.  Ill keep you posted with how these tires perform. 

I have found the Dunlop MX71 to be great for 85% of all the riding I do in SW  PA.  Great on the trails and in the rocks but the big drawback with these tires is they do not perform in mud, especially tacky mud or slick hard clay mud.    They do really good in the coal dumps except for really deep loose hill climbs.  They wear really well, no chunking, great on mine roads/log roads and they are really cheap.  Run them with HD tubes and low pressure and they perform well.  Really stiff side walls so you can fun 10psi no problem even a little less.  But again, suck in the mud, which is not a huge deal IMO unless you are racing.

This looks like an awesome tire! It'll be my next tire for sure! What you guys run for the front? -- Is there a 'Tire Pics' thread?

Well, I run the matching front of course!

DSCF6879_zpszpcd5vhj.jpg